Scenario 4 Report

By Boojum, in Arkham Horror League

We played through scenario 4 yesterday. Here is a quick after action report.

We liked our investigator team from the last game, so we kept all four. Dexter Drake (with Calvin) for Magic, Michael McGlenn and Wilson Richards for Firepower, and Jenny Barnes for money. We had good luck on the setup this time. For the very first time this league, I did not draw Expert Occultist for Michael McGlen. Dexter Drakes player drew Find Gate as one of his spells.

Opening Strategies.. Well, we had no clues after that last scenario, so sealing 6 gates would be unlikely. So we would try to close gates, while prepairing for the final battle. Main problem I had was Ithiqua's start of battle rule that said we had to roll a success to keep each item before the final battle. To combat that, Wilson Richards handed his money over to Jenny, and she made her way to the general store to start buying all the guns she could get. Meanwhile, Dexter Drake started jumping into gates to close them. Michael McGlenn went on patrol looking for cultists, and Wilson Richards hopped on his motorcycle and started grabbing clues.

Jenny's max movement of 3 made getting to the general store interesting. Go to Street, go to next street, duck in building to avoid Icy winds.. repeat. She managed to get there eventually and build up quite a large arsenal. Michael was caught outside fighting monsters 3 times, Wilson Richards twice, and Dexter Drake once. We were very careful to kill all the cultists at once, because there were several cards that could get 3 cultists into the street on one turn if we drew bad from the monster cup.

We closed 7 gates before the end. Wilson Richards built up enough clues to seal the gate leading to the Witches House, and afterwards Michael, and Wilson all jumped into the 2 gates that were still open. The next turn a third gate opened and Dexter Drake jumped into that one, using his find gate spell so that he'd come out the same time as the other 2. The next mythos card was a Gate surge card, so all 3 investigators jumped out at the same time, and all 3 managed to close their gates. Leaving us with no gates on the board, and well over 4 gate tokens.. Game over.

Player of the match award goes to Dexter who closed 3 gates. Kudos to Michael McGlenn for killing 3 Cultists, Wilson for sealing a gate at a location that gets reopened alot, and to jenny for getting 5 guns before the end of the game. I think we would have had little problem with the final battle if the GOO did come forth.

We played this scenario today and we won with a decent score, but it went to the final fight. Our win can be attributed to Rita getting marksman, Tommy Gun and Sword of Glory (during game not on set up), and Michael using the Milk of ShubNiggarath. Also we managed to get clue tokens by passing The Great Ritual rumour. The worst thing was the stamina loss for killing monsters in the streets, especially when Michael got Claustraphobia so he couldn't stay in a location or lose sanity! We used Rita's stack of cash to go shopping to get as many weapons as possible so we woud hopefully keep a couple for the final fight, and we ended up with 1 each.

Not as hard as 3, but harder than 1 and 2 I would say.

WE played a trial game yesterday since the fourth member of CIA was away.

Four characters: Marie, Mark, Ashcan with Jenny (teh character that fourth member would have probably played).

Great Ritual was major loss for us as Marie (my charcter) was forced to discard most of her spels (and take injury card before hand to able to pass the rumor). She lost much of her bite due to this.

We went in to the final battle with Mark having his at 3, Marie having 2 stamina and quickly loosing cpabality of inflcting any damage (she gave away her weapons to some who would be devored in one attack). Over all I blame our inability of keeping watch over the doomtrack, and thus not being prepeared for the final battle. I think I'll use Marie's abillity (removing a doomtoken) during the battle, as it seems to be more potent then.

or Remove the Doom Token to give you more time to get ready. Sound like you guy should have ignored the Rumor cause he Woke anyways.

we had the great rumour too and it was a toss up whether to leave it running to wake him up sooner or get rid of it. we decided to get rid of it just to get the clue tokens and because we don't really play spellcasters so spells are extra baggage anyway.

MrsGamura said:

or Remove the Doom Token to give you more time to get ready. Sound like you guy should have ignored the Rumor cause he Woke anyways.

I used the ability to remoce one before the battle, but it was pertty much a lost cause. It would have been much more usuful to remove it during battle in that case, which I'll probably do the next time around (unless there a really big chance we will win by gate closing/sealing).