Improved look for Z-95s

By ErikB, in General Discussion

I have always thought the Z-95 looks like ass. This is a problem, as no one wants to fly an unattractive starfighter.

This version, from here,

http://www.alfredsmind.ca/commissions/samples119.html

is, however actually pretty cool. And it better fits the descriptions of the craft from its original appearance. Now there is some retcon at work that this is a Mk1 Headhunter, but really, sod that, this is just cooler all round.

z95mk1j.jpg

z95mk1i.jpg

z95mk1h.jpg

z95mk1g.jpg

z95mk1e.jpg

z95mk1f.jpg

z95mk1b.jpg

z95mk1c.jpg

It doesn't look like ass, but the Head Hunter should look like what it is, obsolete. It was impressive twenty years ago, but like the Cloakshape, is a poor choice kept around for underfunded governments and groups that can't afford the good stuff.

Those look cool, but they don't look like the Z-95 much. They also don't look like the predecessor of the X-wing much either. It made me think more of the Colonial Viper then the X-wing at first glance.

Headhunters look fine to me

It is your game. Not everyone can afford a X-wing. Call it a Z-95A1 up the stats and cost slightly.

Either wayit looks great.

If I remember right WEG had that the Z-95 Headhunter was one of the most altered starfighter staring out looking more like a F-16 then an X-Wing, so i can see these being part of the Z-95 lore. I like their looks. :)

The one in the middle below was from the same website. It makes more sense to me. Especially with the lasers on the wing tips, it seems more of a direct ancestor of the X-wing.

The others are cool also though. Perhaps they could be sold as a prototype Z-95 replacement that lost out to the X-wing. Only 5 were made and the players stumble upon 2 of them....

z95s.jpg

Sounds like a nice smash and grab. Perhaps even a good find in a hidden Imp base. I could go on..

Edited by Daegren

Those look a bit like Vipers from Battlestar Galactica.

Cool, but still not a Headhunter, which is noted as a predecessor of the X-Wing.

Also note that the Z-95s were used during the Clone Wars, and there is a variant (we see it in the films) that has a gunner seat and S-Foils that are locked in attack position during combat.

The business about Mk I vs Mk II Z95s stems from the difference between its original novel series description (particularly the movable swept wings) and later illustrations as a very direct T-65 design predecessor. The Z-95 has been a very long-running model series so the rationale has been there's a lot of variations.

I rather like the MkII look, it's a very straight-forward design, and the bubble canopy and large cowl adds a nice sleekness without being overly fancy.

I like the popular Z-95s, but I think these models are pretty cool A1s, and are a lot more attractive than some of the other suggested Z-95 progenitors.

Also note that the Z-95s were used during the Clone Wars, and there is a variant (we see it in the films) that has a gunner seat and S-Foils that are locked in attack position during combat.

Are you talking about the ARC-170 ? The Z-95 doesn't have S-Foils.

Well, okay, there's one example of one that does. But, Booster Terrik heavily modified that one.

Edited by Lickintoad

Well, okay, there's one example of one that does. But, Booster Terrik heavily modified that one.

Sorry, mixed up the ARC-170 with a Z-95. Something in my brain said that the ARC was based off of/around the Z-95. I guess it's the Clone Wars references that often come up.

And yeah, Booster Terrik had one with S-Foils, but it's also Booster Terrik. I think he's exempt from most rules like that. . .

I have to say, I love the ARC-170.

That was the one Wedge flew when he was a kid, right?

The Z-95s were based off of concept art from LucasArts before they settled on the final X-wing design. That is why the drawings in the old WEG books didn't look that great. WEG was using what little they had to expand on what was released in just a few movies to flesh out the SW universe.

There are so many other possibilities, so why not just give the ship its own name/designation. That works better than forcing a reimaging onto something already familiar.

That was the one Wedge flew when he was a kid, right?

Yes, It was a comic. I took the "S-foil" version of the Z-95 to be a lazy artist. The artwork for the whole comic was rather subpar. I couldn't look past the artist's "interdictor" ship as an ISD with big boobs

A lot of the WEG ships created for star wars came out from concept art of known ships. Z-95 was the X-wing, Victory-Class destroyers were the ISD. Torpedo spheres the Death star.

it is suppose to look like crap. The OP probly thinks the Mellenium Falcon should look all slick and streamlined like some Nabooian ship

I love those 'new' headhunters. They are very reminiscent of an old Navy jet fighter, the Grumman F-14 Tomcat.

F-14A_Tomcat_over_Iraq_during_Southern_W

I see these headhunters and all I picture are the arwing from star fox. "Do a barrel roll!"

I see these headhunters and all I picture are the arwing from star fox.

I don't see that as a problem.

393185-sw_arwing_blaupause2.jpg

Arwing.jpg

Wasn't the first appearance of the Z-95 Headhunter from Han Solo at Star's End? According to the book, the Z-95 is an atmospheric fighter and has swept wings. So the above pics with the swing wings make more sense as what the Z-95 would actually look like. What site were they found on?

Those look cool, but they don't look like the Z-95 much. They also don't look like the predecessor of the X-wing much either. It made me think more of the Colonial Viper then the X-wing at first glance.

That's what I thought too, it looked just like a Viper from BSG.

Wasn't the first appearance of the Z-95 Headhunter from Han Solo at Star's End? According to the book, the Z-95 is an atmospheric fighter and has swept wings. So the above pics with the swing wings make more sense as what the Z-95 would actually look like. What site were they found on?

Yep, Brian Daley originally imagined the Z-95 as something that looked like an F-14 Tomcat, hence the mention of the bubble canopy and swing-wings. WEG, tryingot save money on original art regularly used old concept art in their roleplaying supplements, and opted to use a rejected X-wing concept as the Z-95. Model maker Alfred Wong, went back to the Daley original source info when designing his models though, which is what you're looking at in this thread.

At this point though Lucasfilm is pretty much locked in on WEGs call, so demanding a retcon to the design is kinda a waste of effort.

At this point though Lucasfilm is pretty much locked in on WEGs call, so demanding a retcon to the design is kinda a waste of effort.

Demanding changes that will never happen is pretty much ErikB's raison'd'etre. You should have seen his posts back during the EotE Beta when he used the handle AluminumWolf about how FFG should have had full-blown Jedi Careers and Force Powers, handed out for free no less.

I think it was because the only thing he wanted to roleplay (with claims that it was what others would want most) was Jedi, when as we've seen Edge of the Empire was designed SPECIFICALLY because of the backlash against Jedi in the d20 systems and catering to players who wanted a setting based around non-Force-sensitives... was he as AluminumWolf the same guy that "You are Not a Jedi, Not Yet" was talking about?

Here’s the really cool thing. You know all those players who want to play Jedi because it enables them to wreck face with lightsabers and force lightning? They can still do that, but they won’t have the right to call themselves Jedi. They’re just badass force users out for their own glory. Nothing wrong with that, but it means those who actually want to become Jedi will have a true sense of achievement when they do. They won’t have just paid 100XP to buy the Jedi specialization. They follow the Jedi code, choosing the harder path to become more than just a guy who waves his hands to get his own way.

Speaking of which:

I liked it when the Jedi were actual heroes and not male power fantasy... yes, I find these to be mutually exclusive. ;) (Which I suppose is countercultural these days considering more mainstream "heroes" are basically defined as male power fantasy instead of actually being the good guys, but unless any of you want to actually ask me about that, that's neither here nor there.)

Man, you will probably find you have a lot more fun if you just relax and go with it instead of constantly trying to piss in to the wind.

This is hilarious for so, so many reasons... though I speak as someone who'd rather that there be no Jedi career or specializaions, just "Jedi = narrative, period" . :D

Edited by Chortles