Did I read that right? Redone to be BC/OW compatible?

By HappyDaze, in Dark Heresy Second Edition Beta

Did the newest update just say that they scrapped most of the combat and talent tree stuff to go with the "old" system polished up to BC/OW standards?

Did the newest update just say that they scrapped most of the combat and talent tree stuff to go with the "old" system polished up to BC/OW standards?

Up to and beyond, I hope!

Praise the Emperor!

If that means though that they skip the new interesting wound system and the tactical AP system, that would really be a pity.

As I do not like the old system very much - this means more or less, I am out.

If that means though that they skip the new interesting wound system and the tactical AP system, that would really be a pity.

Don't take this personally, but don't let the door hit you on the way out. I can't hear your complaint over the sound of how happy I am right now!

I can very well understand that. Backwards compatibility at least means a better opportunity to combine stuff.

Never the less...I am disappointed if they skip all of their new ideas, as some were really good.

Ugh. I really didn't expect this would happen, although I suppose I shouldn't be overly surprised. Sad to see FFG caving under pressure and refusing to make (very good) innovations.

Oh well, time for houserules.

They are willing to redo a lot of work to make us happy. I can't see them thowing away AP and I hope they keep HP free wounds.

These.

Ugh. I really didn't expect this would happen, although I suppose I shouldn't be overly surprised. Sad to see FFG caving under pressure and refusing to make (very good) innovations.

Oh well, time for houserules.

I don't agree with GauntZero on much of anything, but I do on this. Forgoing innovation in the name of backwards compatibility would be a real shame. I will almost definitely end up getting DH2, as I love the setting, but if a game with more modern game design and similar themes rears its head I will be all over that.

I don't see the point in a book that seems like it's likely to just be Only War with an Inquisitorial coat of paint, and a better character generation system. I couldn't care less about that, I don't want to buy something I could houserule by myself in a couple of hours.

If the changes are as sweeping as the update implies, they've definitely lost a purchase from me.

Dont know what is shocking me more in this minutes...

Siding oppinions with CPS or this whole new piece of information...

There were some...really good innovations in this beta so far...I mean like - really really good.

The AP approach is a very good step in my oppinion - not yet perfect of course, but it has potential.

The wound system (with critical wounds from RF) was a very good very to bring some depth into battles...

And the great new way of fatigue, and blood loss...all gone ?

Mh...really dont know what to say without sounding like a sad old broken man.

Edited by GauntZero

I will say, at least this beta has given me a bunch of great rules that I plan to houserule to perfection and play with. I just think it's a shame FFG evidently have no interest in publishing those rules.

Broken old men don't compain about the lack of change.

If this ends up being "OW: So you want to be an Inquisitor?" I'm not sure I can justify the purchase.

I will say, at least this beta has given me a bunch of great rules that I plan to houserule to perfection and play with. I just think it's a shame FFG evidently have no interest in publishing those rules.

Tom Cruise, my old arch enemy...in this time of grief I want to say I am sorry for all that divided us in the past...

You were a good opponent in honest battles - sometimes words were harsh, sometimes topics odd, but intentions always good.

If they really should skip all those good ideas, I will stick to the beta document they made so far, as this is really a step forward.

I don't see the point in a book that seems like it's likely to just be Only War with an Inquisitorial coat of paint, and a better character generation system. I couldn't care less about that, I don't want to buy something I could houserule by myself in a couple of hours.

If the changes are as sweeping as the update implies, they've definitely lost a purchase from me.

I'll hold my judgement until end of November but it would be sad to see the new cool stuff going away. Maybe people are just not ready yet. Maybe they never will be. I agree with cps. It's a real shame to see evolution going away in the name of the so called backwards compatibility.

Broken old men don't compain about the lack of change.

If this ends up being "OW: So you want to be an Inquisitor?" I'm not sure I can justify the purchase.

This one old man does...hit me like a hammer - of DOOM - of ETERNAL ENDLESS DOOM.

If the rules are just copy-pasted from OW, it indeed is also no real motivation for me to buy this...

And regarding backward compatibility:

I would more happy to have said new approach now and get an additional book as bridge to make old stuff compatible for new rules...

But...as the news sound like...sounds more like shattered dreams...

Edited by GauntZero

I think what really irks me about the update is the mention that the skill system is being changed to be compatible with Only War. No no no no no! I can't think I anyone on the forum who objected to the reduced skill system as a whole and I can't believe that they'd go back on the perfect change made to Lores.

I think what really irks me about the update is the mention that the skill system is being changed to be compatible with Only War. No no no no no! I can't think I anyone on the forum who objected to the reduced skill system as a whole and I can't believe that they'd go back on the perfect change made to Lores.

The reduced skill-set was a really good innovation. Loved it !

Yeah, the skill system changes just baffle me. They don't decrease backwards compatibility to any major extent, and they're a brilliant addition. I can't understand why anyone wouldn't like the changes.

I can understand though if they skip the talent tress and maybe go back to Tier 1-3 system...the trees were sometimes odd.

But please keep the skill system as is in the beta now.

Am I missing something? I don't see a new update on the site yet

Fantastic news! They've avoided a disaster with this. Change for the sake of change is rarely worth it, and the new rules were unpopular for a reason.

Really looking forward to November, now.

I'm one of the few here that is happy with the decision to go back to something compatible with what came before. After about a week with the DH2.0 Beta, I had pretty much decided I wanted no part of it. I saw the news about this change while hoping to find that the Age of Rebellion Beta was available, and now I'm actually interested in DH again! :D

Fantastic news! They've avoided a disaster with this. Change for the sake of change is rarely worth it, and the new rules were unpopular for a reason.

Really looking forward to November, now.

Yes I took a look at the book and it was definitely very pass worthy. Now I might have to look into this game with more detail and pride.

Dancing in the streets over here. Sorry guys who like the new system.

I will say, change is good but change only for the sake of change is bad. They have a solid system. It needs refinement but it's solid. I'm looking forward to the November.

*does a happy, gravity-defying dance*

This. Is. Awesome.