Denizens of the Underworld

By jasonconlon, in CoC General Discussion

It's The Syndicate's turn to get the deluxe treatment.

Announcement

Product Description page

There's some very strong non-unique characters in there for just 2 cost, like Cat Burglar , Crooked Attorney and Clover Club Pit Boss . And the ability to flatten an opponent's resources with Reallocate is a neat trick to keep expensive enemies like Ancient Ones at bay a while longer.

Speaking of Ancient Ones, I'm keen to find out who the new one is that they've teased us about including in this set.

Looks like it's going to be a good set, and I love Syndicate. So far we haven't seen much of a hint of an over-arching theme like the Explorers or Yithians, but that may just be a function of which previews they picked. Either that or Syndicate doesn't really do a lot of themed keyword stuff anyway, there's "Criminal" and that's about it for them - plus it's on nearly every character they have.

About the Ancient One, I'm rooting for a new Nyarlathotep but we'll have to wait and see...

Yeah, I've always loved Syndicate's 'gangster' flavor even though I've never been able to pick a favorite faction. From what I can read this box will add significantly to Syndicate flavor and competitiveness! looks like Tactic is perhaps the main theme? I would also love to see another manifestation of Nyarlathotep! I loved the theme of his Avatars in 'Masks of Nyarlathotep' back in the CCG days! Looks like we finally get Danny O'Bannion! Hope he's significantly better than his CCG version! :unsure:

About the Ancient One, I'm rooting for a new Nyarlathotep but we'll have to wait and see...

Edited by Hybrid

Another Nyarlathotep would be great. Personally, I'd quite like Nyarly to be a brand new faction.

Maybe a box dedicated to a Nyarlathotep theme spanning all existing factions?! The 'Brotherhood' theme of the CCG days was only somewhat successful. I still have a 'B' deck that was at least for me a lot of fun!

Another Nyarlathotep would be great. Personally, I'd quite like Nyarly to be a brand new faction.

I reckon it'll be a new Ancient One. My wild guess is Zushakon (Zul-che-quon).

Though I do think they'll do an Egypt-themed set (as they did for Venice) in the near-ish future, revisiting Nyarlathotep.

That was my first thought, too :)

But I think they mean an Ancient One completely new to CoC. I wouldn't mind seeing more of the Ancient Ones I've grown to love (or is that dread?) from the Arkham Horror Board Game, e.g. Quachil Uttaus. Tsathoggua (and its Formless Spawn) would also make a great addition.

I can't wait for this expansion to hit the shelves. I was really looking forward to the Key and the Gate when it arrived, but was somewhat disappointed by the execution. This boxed set, however, may be my favorite yet.

As for which Ancient One I'd like to see? Nyarlathotep would be great of course. I liked how they handled his avatars back in the CCG days. However, my vote goes to Ithaqua. I doubt we'll see him paired with such an ubran-focused faction, but I can always hope...

Tsathoggua or Ithaqua would both be pretty cool. They didn't say that the new Ancient One would be part of the Syndicate faction, just that he'd be in this set - so it could be anyone.

Ithaqua could be possible considering the Polar content in the last two faction boxes. The rest of the box seems to move away from Polar though.

What is the chance to see well-known named characters really?

I'm really looking forward to the appearance of Danny O'Bannion in Denizens! His daughter has been spoiled already. With the Blackwood Sr. and Jr. tandem out and about I think the chances are strong to see this crime lord in the set?

A Polar theme was not appropriate to a strictly Venice-themed set so we could see some more. It would have been very nice to see Ithaqua in the Yog or M.U. box considering their considerable Polar theme! There are still a number of Ancient Ones missing from the pantheon. It would be a shame if they do not rend the veil before we see the end!

Chaugnar Faugn
Ithaqua
Hypnos
Abhoth
Eihort
Yeb- Nug's twin.
Nyarlathotep- Yes we have him already but much of his aspect deals with his many various and unique manifestations.
Daoloth
Rhan-Tegoth
Yibb-Tstll
Bugg-Shash
Quachil Uttaus
Edited by Hybrid

Eihort in the Shub Faction and a Yog's Daoloth would be nice. :)

Has a release date been set for this?

The 'Upcoming' page indicates Jan 23.

Counting down… I'm really excited to get this one.

The 'Upcoming' page indicates Jan 23.

The day before my birthday!

Thursday can't come soon enough! Just got my Greyjoy house cards to use as domains to tide me over and then Marius's card gets spoiled and I'm Jonesin' all over again! The Yog box and it's Yithians really had me anticipating something special only to be disappointed with the Yithian discard focus. Don't get me wrong, overall I like what the Key and the Gate brought to the game. Terror in Venice I expected to be beautifully themed and it was with some nice meta nuggets included. I have a feeling Denizens will be unprecedented for what it will do as a faction-centered deluxe box.

immurement.png

Edited by Hybrid

Delayed for a Jan 30th release! Did 'Denizens' get snowed in?! :o

immurement.png

is draining the domain part of the "cost" for playing this card? If the domain with the most resources is already drained can you then not play this card?

is draining the domain part of the "cost" for playing this card? If the domain with the most resources is already drained can you then not play this card?

Correct on both counts.

8 days left… It's like a kid waiting for Christmas.