New GM: Advice on my first session.

By thecableton, in Game Masters

Hey guys!

I have my first session coming up next weekend and I was hoping to gather some advice and feedback on what I have planned.

Not only is this my first time GM'ing anything Star Wars related, it's also my first time writing an adventure. It begins with a 4+ player sized party whom, prior to the title crawl have been captured under the assumption they are rebel spies. They are taken to Coruscant where they are deposited into a holding facility pending their transfer from the Imperial Navy's custody to the Imperial Security Bureau. One player is an imperial officer stationed in this facility, The adventure begins with him breaking them out (It's part of his obligation that he's betrayed the empire and we will be playing out that obligation in the first session).

The aim after that is to recover their gear, escape, earn money to buy a ship and get off coruscant. Assuming they stick to the general plot. After they escape the facility it's pretty free-roam, they can earn the money for their escape however they choose but I have small encounters planned involving dealing with hutts, gambling, helping out bounty hunters and smugglers, that sort of thing.

That's a brief summary of what I have planned. What do you guys think?

Edited by thecableton

Very nice! Might be good to put together a plan of where you want the session to end up (or a few possible places it could end); at the very least, it's good GM strategy to leave your party hanging at a pivotal moment. Leave them wanting more.

The prison escape is a great convention and my suggestion is that you really put the pressure on them. When you think about the prison break from the deathstar in New Hope, think about all the trials they went through to escape. That entire sequence could easily 2 sessions if not more. You had sneaking around avoiding detection, complicated strategy that required the group to split up, big fire fights against enormous odds where the characters where kind of on the run ending up in a garbage shoot where they had to escape from yet another prison, then their was the lightsabre battle, more fire fights on the way to the ship. Even after they escaped the empire had tracking beacons on the ship triggering more action later from the same sequence.

I guess my advice is, when you have a great concept for a sequence, stretch it out, complicate it with technological obstacles, throw in unexpected turns like the garbage shoot monster. I would drag an escape like that out for 2-3 sessions so that by the time they got out of that prison their characters are drained and the players feel like the entire thing was an adventure in itself. You should try to control the sequence of events to some extent as well. For example, once they escape their cells, they need to get a ship, but before they can steal a ship and escape they have to knock out a tractor beam and before they can knock out the tractor beam they have to sneak into the armory to get explosives and before they can do that they have to get past X station... so and so forth, you get the idea.