Question on learning spells

By Kaic, in Anima: Beyond Fantasy RPG

I'm still new to gming Anima and this is the first time I've had someone make a wizard. I'm a bit confused on how learning spells is supposed to work.

With just the Core Anima book it makes it sound like if you have so much int, you get so many magic levels that you can spend and you know all of those spells. From what I've seen you can't gain Magic Levels after character creation without increasing your int (which I believe caps at 10?) If so it seems a bit strange that a level 1 character could potentially know all of the spells in a path up to level 50.

I have recently acquired the Arcana Exxet and it really gave me more questions than answers. For one, it mentioned that your int only determines your maximum potential Magic Level which seems different from the Core book, unless I misunderstood it. Then it mentions spending 5 DP for 5 ML. Does this mean you actually start with no ML, but can spend DP to gain ML up to your max that is determined by your int bonus, or is it saying you can spend DP to increase your potential max Magic level? Then it goes on to mention studying to learn spells. This is based on your level of learning which is based on magic level points used. If my guess in how it works in the core book is correct, then a level 1 character could be at 3rd level of learning since they've used everything up to their int. If not, then how do you determine how many have been used?

I know there was also a small mention about supernatural level in the game master toolkit (and mentioned briefly in Arcana exxet), but that seems to only give you a starting point on how to limit the Magic Level and not how to progress it.

It seems I've gotten a bit long winded in this post, sorry about that. I guess my question really is, How do you determine how many Magic Levels a player has spent and what spells they can use?

OK.... where to begin....

First the cap of 10 for you stats is only when you initially roll for them. You can increase them past 10 with either advantages or on even lvls as you lvl up. Also since it is a mental stat there is no max cap for it.

As to the DP for ML.... a person can spend 10% of their total DP on ML, just like MK. The ML from INT is just the character's natural base ML.

The learning lvl is based on the ML that a character has already invested into spells. So yes, a character can be lvl 1 but have a learning lvl of 3 or 4.

The supernatural of the game is just suggestion as to how you want the game to be, little magic, a lot, or somewhere in between. If you choose the lesser amount, then limit the amount of spells the mage character can cast. They can invest their full ML into spells and metas.. but won't have them available till the learning time has passed, though they can still count the ML used for their learning lvl. If you go for lots of magic, then they can have all their spells available from the beginning.

First I would like to thank you for reading my long post and answering my questions.

Yeah, I guess I did have a lot of questions. So, how I'm understanding this then is they get all of the ML based on their intelligence and can spend it immediately and know all of those spells. They cand then spend 10% of their DP on ML to get more ML and more spells. Supernatural level is just an optional variant for the game based on level of supernatural influence. The table with the spells and the learning levels is only used if I use a game with a lower supernatural level and they don't have the spells. Did I understand all that correctly?

I thought I remember reading somewhere in the book that 10 was the highest a normal human could get in a physical stat. I didn't realize it was only character creation, I thought you had to pick up the inhuman ki ability or somethign to go past it. I'll have to find and read that section again.

New Question: What book does it say they can spend DP on MK? I don't have all of the books yet, is it in Dominus Exxet?

More or less.....

The table is used regardless of the games magic lvl to determine how long it takes a mage to learn a new spell.

INT is a MENTAL stat and there is no limit to mental stats. Inhumanity and Zen allow a character to receive the full bonus of PHYSICAL stats past 10.

Yeah that is in the Dom Ex.

Ok, i've got it now! thanks for the replies, I guess there was even more that I didn't understand than I realized.

No prob.... best advice is read the books cover to cover... then read them again... and then again.... and keep going back for reference whenever in doubt.