Renaming Duty?

By Rikoshi, in Game Mechanics

In podcast interviews with the FFG devs, it's come up (more than once) that a lot of folks have issue with the term 'Duty,' mainly due to the unfortunately 'doody' homonym.

Moreover, when I look at what the Duty mechanic represents, I'm not entirely sure it's even the right word. Duty is something that you're beholden to, that you're expected and required to do based on your position or the like.

The way AoR portrays the different areas of Duty, it sounds much more like it's something that the characters have decided to undertake. The book outright states that it's meant to reflect that "each of them is trying to accomplish," that it's a driving factor for them, something that a character "discovered particular talents for" or which might have been "one of the driving factors" for joining the Alliance in the first place.

Moreover, unlike EotE, where Obligation is something that's sketched out in terms of something required of the character, Duty is definitely something that, when it comes up, provides a morale bonus because the character wants to do it, because it's something that they're striving for. The mechanic doesn't have anything to do with the Alliance forcing the character to undertake this particular duty over their own desires, which again, is kind of what the word "duty" means in the first place.

I think a much better term for this would be "Focus." As in, this is the area of expertise or importance that the character actively wants to commit to, to devote their efforts toward and to, well, focus on. Also, by carrying out missions and accomplishing your goals in your area of focus, you're effectively improving your Focus score thanks to your commitment--you're not "undertaking" more duty; you're demonstrating that you're good at what motivates you, and you're contributing to the Alliance in a particular area of Focus.

Anyhow, the TL;DR version is that I'm a linguistics and semantics nerd, so when I hear that people are iffy on the term "Duty," it behooves me to point out that, based on what the mechanic is meant to represent, the term isn't all that apt anyway, at least IMHO.

I have a preference for the term Dedication myself.

I have a preference for the term Dedication myself.

Ooh, that's a good one, too. I was trying to think of terms that encapsulate what the mechanic is meant to signify, and I hadn't thought of that one.

And it's only Americans who have a problem with it. Almost everywhere else, it's pronounced 'jootee'. I found the whole 'doody' joke lame, not to mention it happening in Wreck It Ralph ...

I do like dedication. To me, Duty looks more like you niche in the rebellion. How is it you best serve the cause.

If my players are immature enough to go on and on about "dooty," they'll soon find themselves without a table.

I'm all for fun and games, but at the end of the day a lot of us take our gaming at least semi-seriously, so it sucks that anyone would encountering that.

As far as replacing Duty with a different name, I'm thinking along the same lines as HappyDaze in using "Dedication" or perhaps "Devotion," in that the PC has dedicated or devoted themselves to aiding the Alliance in a particular way. It fits given that one of the Alliance's big propaganda points is that every member is there by their own choosing, fighting the Empire because they want to fight as opposed to the Empire's use of press-gangs and other forced recruitment methods both subtle and unsubtle.

Another notion might be "Expertise," to reflect what a given PC's M.O.S (Military Occupational Specialty) is within the ranks of the Rebellion, with the idea that the player selects a given Expertise and then builds their character to best fulfill that Expertise, though I could certainly see a player wanting to have their character be a "rookie" in terms of their chosen Expertise and thus build their character up from being barely competent to a true master of their craft.

Looking at it again, rather than dedication or devotion, I'm now leaning towards Commitment.

Looking at it again, rather than dedication or devotion, I'm now leaning towards Commitment.

Commitment kind of strikes me as being more of a Motivation than something on par with EotE's Obligation, perhaps a type of Motivation we might see in Force & Destiny.

Another notion might be "Expertise," to reflect what a given PC's M.O.S (Military Occupational Specialty) is within the ranks of the Rebellion, with the idea that the player selects a given Expertise and then builds their character to best fulfill that Expertise, though I could certainly see a player wanting to have their character be a "rookie" in terms of their chosen Expertise and thus build their character up from being barely competent to a true master of their craft.

"Expertise" would be a good word, but it's already a Motivation type, and so doubling up on that could get really confusing, is all.

I think dedication sums it up perfectly. What is their dedication to the 'cause', in this case it's the Rebel Alliance, but also easy to transpose to other eras or factions. The more they prove their dedication the more resources given to them and the more attention paid to the them by the enemies of their cause.

I don't have the Beta so this may not be as applicable as I think, but what about "Loyalty"? Or "Prestige"?

From how I understand the mechanic, based on reading the forums, some beta-reviews and not listening to order 66, I think the word Duty works pretty good - even if its a synonym of obligation :ph34r: Although Dedication and Devotion might also work, Dedication is also a talent which then overlaps (not necessarily a problem to most I guess). Devotion has a too religious/fanatic undertone to me. I'd go with Dedication, if changing the name is at all necessary.

"Expertise" would be a good word, but it's already a Motivation type, and so doubling up on that could get really confusing, is all.

Well, there's already a degree of overlap with EotE's Dutybound Obligation (which is rather similar in the narrative if not in the mechanics of AoR's Duty), as well as EotE having a Criminal Obligation and a Crime Motivation, as well as the Relationship motivation chart having several entries for family (parents, sibling, extended family) with a Family Obligation to boot.

And Jegergryte does have a point about Dedication already being in use for a talent; there was some concern/confusion during the EotE Beta over Resilience the skill and Resilient (now Enduring) the talent.

I think Duty fits. Neither Dedication or Devotion carry the idea of acting for the benefit of others that Duty does.

It also has more significance as a term in regards to the military.

Duty is a fine term. It describes the connection perfectly, imo.

Brits pronounce it 'dew-tee' anyway...

Strangely you just retyped a post that I never finished.....(yes, I'm a Brit!)

I never listen to the Order 66 podcast, but figured I would chime in on the discussion anyway. (wink wink nod nod) I was thinking that maybe one of the following would be a worthy replacement for "Duty":

Mission

Committment

Valor

Pursuit

Objective

Operation

Personally, I think that Duty fits best, but the exercise is fun anyways. ;)

Duty is a fine term. It describes the connection perfectly, imo.

I almost agree.

It's the best fit so far, and all the suggestions so far are worse at describing what's happening. Tho' it might be better phased by making it a two word term: Favored Duty or Preferred Duty.

So do most North Americans over the age of 15. There are certain ethnic sub-populations with confused phonics who indistinguishably merge both the non-final d and non-final t (and the ð sound of that ) to all sound basically the same. Mostly because of a really bad program called Ebonics...

Duty is alright... I like Protocol myself. (just to be different). :)

but then we'd get a bunch of Protocol droid jokes every game session.

Seeing as your "Duty" feeds into your "Contribution Rank," I can easily see the argument for Devotion or Dedication. You're dedicated to a cause, so you contribute to it.

Simple.

I think Duty works as Duty and Obligation are two sides of the same coin.

Dictionary. com says:

Duty, obligation refer to what one feels bound to do. Duty is what one performs, or avoids doing, in fulfillment of the permanent dictates of conscience, piety, right, or law: duty to one's country; one's duty to tell the truth, to raise children properly. An obligation is what one is bound to do to fulfill the dictates of usage, custom, or propriety, and to carry out a particular, specific, and often personal promise or agreement: financial obligations.

Works for me.