Historical Horror Hack

By player1501423, in Game Masters

I thought about posting this, then decided not to bother, and then decided "why not?" I'd like some input from GMs who've been running EotE for a bit on my idea of using the rules in place of the original World of Darkness engine to power a horror story I'm going to run at an upcoming convention.

Set in 1775 Boston, between Lexington/Concord and the Battle of Bunker Hill, it pits a group of Sons of Liberty types, who also have occult knowledge, against the Brits, who are relying on supernatural allies to find and kill Patriots. I ran the same story, with great success, several years ago, but have since moved on from the WOD rules, and once I got EotE thought that the narrative quality of the system would be perfect for a player-driven story. And I'm running an actual Star Wars game the next day, so I figured it'd be an easy way to limber up with the system.

Anyway....I have a party of PCs consisting of a political agitator, Minute Man, stevedore, tavern owner, doctor, smuggler, and a lawyer. I'm basing these off the politico, mercentary soldier, mechanic, trader, doctor, smuggler, and scholar specializations, respectively. Obviously I'm changing some skills to make them period-appropriate.

Here's what I'd like from the community: ideas for talents & special abilities for zombies, a witch, and some spell-like powers. I'm going to use the stats for naval troopers for the Redcoats, and make similar use of other NPC stat blocks. The story will take place both outside of Boston, which is under seige and British control, and inside the city, so there are opportunities for urban and rural skills. The characters will have between them several melee weapons and a few firearms. I might give one or two of them Force powers as supernatural abilities, but I'm holding off on that decision until I finish with the must-haves (stats for the PCs and NPCs).

Any suggestions or wild ideas are will be appreciated.

You should take a peek at BrashFink's Edge of the Union ideas for a western hack. A nice discussion of skill mods are there.

Reskin Droids as zombies. Have a talisman or some such instead of the restraining bolts.