Adventure Ideas for the Age of Rebellion

By copperbell, in General Discussion

So I figure I ought to get this started!

1) Been watching the Bodacious Pirates anime and I thought... so during the Clone Wars its unlikely the Republic didn't have any functional military, so have a mercenary force who fought on behalf of the Republic near or within the Tapani Sector.

The end of the Clone Wars would normally mean they'd settle down and disarm or find suitable work elsewhere, now I thought just because the Empire's been formed this is still the degenerate era of the Republic, its the Tapani Sector after all so these mercenaries were hired to act as guards on freighter convoys after all piracy does happen in the Star Wars Universe.

Take that one step further and some of the mercenaries run an entertainment business where they perform as pirates for liners that hire them to entertain their passengers with a mock pirate raid in addition they help keep an eye out on the route to prevent actual piracy.

The Empire might not like it, but its no immediate threat to their rule so until the Battle of Yavin this remains perfectly legal... however the Senate has been dismissed and power passed to the Imperial Governors who don't share the same opinion as the local senators.

So gradually not all at once these mercenaries are being targetted and eliminated, word is being passed round of a mysterious pirate hunter but only rumours persist since noone's been able to find any survivors of its attacks and its even targetting the mock pirates who have been long overlooked because they're considered a joke by the Empire.

Unfortunately the Empire has made a heck of a mistake, after their home is attacked and a number of their families and friends are either killed or imprisoned on trumped up charges the survivors making use of the aging fleet of warships dating from the Clone Wars and beyond seek help and have been put into contact with the Rebel Alliance...

A perfect way to infiltrate Imperial society, the only restriction is that they can't use any X-Wings to avoid being discovered... would you like to play in that game?

Working on other ideas...

Edited by copperbell

You absolutely can reuse a bunch of the existing WEG adventure hooks and campaign concepts with only statistical/mechanical changes, they hold up that well to this day. :D Heck, if you go through some of the three d20 editions' books there's some ideas in them too, even if some of it is to be extrapolated from some of the NPC write-ups (but the same goes for some of the other WEG books that were basically just NPC compendiums).

You absolutely can reuse a bunch of the existing WEG adventure hooks and campaign concepts with only statistical/mechanical changes, they hold up that well to this day. :D Heck, if you go through some of the three d20 editions' books there's some ideas in them too, even if some of it is to be extrapolated from some of the NPC write-ups (but the same goes for some of the other WEG books that were basically just NPC compendiums).

You bet you can - in fact, I'm running the classic WEG adventure Starfall at a local game convention next month. There are so many good stories from the first edition rules, many of which are available on eBay. And although I only have EotE at this point, I have stats for stormtroopers and Imperial navy troops, so converting that adventure has been a non-issue.

You bet you can - in fact, I'm running the classic WEG adventure Starfall at a local game convention next month. There are so many good stories from the first edition rules, many of which are available on eBay. And although I only have EotE at this point, I have stats for stormtroopers and Imperial navy troops, so converting that adventure has been a non-issue.

I'm only keeping second edition in mind, but collectively they both have so much good stuff that frankly my personal canon tiers for coming up with EotE/AoR content are the original trilogy and D6. :P It helps that it seems like EotE and AoR are the beneficiaries of a focus on the original trilogy whereas d20 had to account for the wildly divergent prequel trilogy.

For what it's worth, I'll add that while the AoR beta book has the Imperial Army, you can just repurpose Imperial Naval Troopers or Planetary Defense Force Troopers if you need Imperial Army trooper stats for an EotE-only campaign.

You could probably use the entire existing catalog of WEG adventures with AoR, since the vast majority of those were written under the precept that the PCs are working for the Alliance in some capacity, either as full-fledged members or as "independent contractors."

Look at Dark Horse new Star Wars line of comics. It's set in the exact same timeframe.

I was planning at some point to run a game where the party are the crew of a diplomatic vessel, perhaps one of them was even the Imperial Senator. The game would begin as they were approaching Imperial City, unknown to them however the Emperor has disbanded the senate and even now plans to take the most troublesome senators into custody. Only the warning of a longtime sparring partner allows the senator and his ship to escape.

Long term I would see the group making contact with, and eventualy joining, the Rebellion.

E

Consider the Empire's love of super weapons. While canon states that the heroes from the movies were instrumental in defeating the empire by blowing up the Death Star I and II, why not create your own super weapon project.

Now, what I plan on doing is, rather than something destructive and silly such as world devastators, sun crushers, nostril of palpatine or dark trooper project, is have an imperial admiral/scientist that specializes in hyperspace theory.

I read somewhere in the ancient past of the star wars setting the first hyperdrives were nothing more than a cannon that fired a ship into hyperspace. I don't know if that is true, but it works as an idea for a project. My hyperspace scientist will one, have a modified/special interdictor cruiser. This will be to test the new hyperspace field generator. A ship that can generate a hyperspace field around multiple other ships. The value being that a carrier could dislodge all its TIE fighters and jump them all into hyperspace already deployed. Also the potential for moving asteroids, or other such bodies could be a potential world shattering weapon.

Other uses for this ship/technology would be to launch non hyperspace ships into hyperspace, without the modified interdictor moving. Imagine a ship that can lock onto a rebel mc80 and then fling it into a star.

Other projects that this Admiral would be working on are a modified shuttle that has a .25 hyperdrive. Since the fastest is .5 this is a huge boost. His goal would be to have a .0 hyperdrive. They rebel players would eventually try to steal t his modified Lamda shuttle, or perhaps steal it to escape and discover the prototype engine - which of course can't be moved from the shuttle, or duplicated.

As a potential tie in to an existing Edge of the Empire game, the smugglers end up working for this Admiral, unknowingly, by gathering up parts for his project. When they eventually find out they can join up with the rebellion to right the wrongs they help create by empowering this Hyperdrive obsessed Admiral.

The mentality of this admiral is that space superiority is the only way to control the galaxy, ground combat is too costly, and superweapons such as the deathstar are ridiculous, but to control they hyperlanes - banning all hyperdrives from anyone but the empire, you have absolute control and order. Space fighter combat is also a glorious thing, much like the aces of WWI, and this is the purest form of combat. He will also be an honourable commander, prone to keeping his word, and not a bloodthirsty anti-alien bigot.

This has a lot of potential. .0 hyperdrive sounds pretty crazy, but this scientist can dare to dream.

I wish I had more to add.

An excellent suggestion, indeed. eBay will see a great deal of traffic from me as I attempt to build up my WEG library of older modules, Starfall being but one of them.

You can also look up the basic premises thereof on Wookiepedia if the article's detailed enough, i.e. the basic synopsis of The Far Orbit Project (anti-Imperial privateering in the Core Worlds with an EF76 Nebulon-B frigate, with "the Alliance" being in the form of a solitary observer and the Alliance-issued letter of marque and reprisal).

OP, I would be down for this type of game. The role playing that would come with the double cross, and eventual rise within "enemy ranks" would be classic.