Rules for Modding Equipment

By AFrede, in Game Mechanics

In the Customization and Modification section (pg 130) under the rules for Installing Mods it mentions that it is a Hard Mechanics check to install a mod, but if the player rolls any Despair icons on the check he breaks the attachment.

On a Hard Modifications check with three difficulty dice there is no chance for a Despair to come up. Are GM's out there really using Destiny Points to upgrade a modification check?

I checked and I know the EoE book went to print like this and now I feel bad that I didn't notice it during that beta because it really seems like an oversight.

Perhaps this should be changed to something like 3 Threat, that at least has a chance of showing up?

Well, there was some discussion on the EotE forums about what happens once the difficulty gets increased past five dice, with one side suggesting that you'd start upgrading on the fourth and and further modifications, changing purple difficulty to red challenge dice, and thus providing a chance to roll a Despair.

Otherwise, yes, it's quite possible that the GM could, if they feel the circumstances warrant, could spend a Destiny Point to upgrade the difficulty of the Mechanics check, same as they could with any other skill check.

It is also far less likely in controlled conditions that a tech would break a piece of equipment that they are diligently and carefully working on. It is when other events, conditions, or stress becomes involved that there is a chance. That could be reflected in setback dice, or if the situation is dire enough upgrading to challenge dice.

Did they ever come up with a weapon that can contain that 2 hardpoint mod that Sam Stewart said was coming in a future product?

Did they ever come up with a weapon that can contain that 2 hardpoint mod that Sam Stewart said was coming in a future product?

Well, the only thing that's even been released since then is the AoR Beta, so no, not yet. But since there's plenty more to come (with at least Enter the Unknown and the final AoR book on the charts), I wouldn't be surprised if something comes along soon.

If the PCs decided to buy equipment from a shady dealer, then the GM could represent that by using a destiny point to introduce a Challenge dice. Maybe the PCs were had, and got sold cheap equipment.