Collaborative Adventures

By XNtr3k, in Game Masters

With the advent of resources such as Google Drive and share options allowing for multiple users to access the same document, even at the same time, has it dawned on anyone yet to start a kind of collaborative effort to come up with short adventures and even entire campaigns through the use of a shared document like this? Quickly flipping though the forum on here I did not see any threads up that sounded similar, so why not?

I know I can come up with stories and sometimes plots that can weave back in on themselves, but I have trouble filling some of the inbetweens. The kinds of things that give the players something to occupy their time between larger events, or things to round out gameplay so there is an even balance of combat, roleplay, and other mechanics.

Is anyone else up for something like this? Maybe a system can be set up where the original author of a document gives the outline of what they want to happen, maybe an idea they have that they just cannot round out, and then others can pop in and add their thoughts and help connect the pieces?

Maybe set up a template that follows the kind of organization in the official adventures so that people can end up keeping things recognizable for all contributors?

I'd be willing to join such a collaboration. The whole Google Drive thing is pretty cool, and the idea of putting up interchangeable campaigns and adventures is a good idea.

In fact, since multiple people can modify the same document, you could host an entire online game from any computer with Internet access whenever you wanted, and could just post events as they happen on the document in narrative action. While this is just like a chat room, accept with the set back of no dice, this also records the entire session, so after the game the GM could go over everything that happened, and record the game afterwards like a book. I may be crazy, and it may not be the best of ideas, but hey, using Chrome is safer than trying to find a download to put on your computer, and Chrome can be accessed almost anywhere.

But anyway, back to your idea, it sounds good. But could you elaborate on what you mean? I was kinda confused reading that middle paragraph, and am curious as to if this would be like a chat box or a document or whatever.

The middle paragraph was basically stating my capabilities when it comes to creating a campaign. I can create plot, but have trouble coming up with ideas sometimes for the game mechanics needed to entertain players.

I may have to throw my current introductory adventure I came up with at a group of players and see how I do with sandboxing.

I like this idea. I had written what turned out to be nearly a module for a campaign that I am no longer GMing. I'd need to convert some of the stats over from d20.

I too would be interested in this!

I ginned this up while trying to flesh out the timeline of Edge of the Empire.

EPISODE I

Who: The characters are prisoners that have been released from cryogenic stasis by Han Solo.

What: The characters must escape Stars End.

When: The characters have 20 rounds to board the Millenium Falcon, the CSA Assault vessel, or the connecting tubes.

Where: Stars End, Corporate Sector Authority Super Max holding facility.

Why: Released prisoners will be rounded up for extermination if they do not escape.

How: Get to the vessels that are crewed by “friendly” forces to escape.

Obligation/Duty will be owed to Doc and Jessa for the recovery. Han Solo/Chewbacca will not accept obligation, but you can talk with him and have him as an NPC for future dealings. The characters can assist the outlaw techs as needed or branch out to do their own thing. Being under the CSA prison system, the characters will have a drive to fight for freedom and rebel against tyranny.

EPISODE II

Who: The characters will be asked to recover material for the outlaw techs.

Who (2): the characters will be asked to recover some material for use by the Rebel Alliance.

What: The material is a cache of weapons.

What (2): The material is a cache containing a starship (GM choosing) and other related war material.

When: As Soon As Possible

Where: GM Discretion

Why: To further the outlaw tech cause. Make money, help rebellion, etc.

How: the characters are given a coded message containing the coordinates of the cache and instructions of how to disarm the security and collect the material. Also the instructions will contain re-contact procedures.

EPISODE III

Who: The characters will (possibly) attempt to bring the materials to the outlaw tech and/or the Rebellion.

What: The recovered materials.

When: ASAP

Where: To coordinates given to the characters, and failing this, to a known ally of the rebellion.

Why: To aid in the rebellion

How: Movement of goods is the characters specialty, if not then they can hire those that do specialize in that endeavor. And the adventure continues.

Edited by Balou1917