Unseen Forces Reprint?

By Karlson, in Elder Sign

I'm a brand new player to the Lovecraftian horror line of games and after a fair bit of research, I decided to start out with Elder Sign before giving any of it's big brother board games a try.

With that said, I really like Elder Sign after 5 or 6 play through's, both solo and with other players. So, I really wanted to get the expansion, Unseen Forces. However, I can't seem to find it for an affordable price anywhere and I take it that it's out of print at the moment.

Does anyone have any idea when it will be available to purchase at base price again?

Thanks for the link! But whew, $12 to ship. I'm thinking I'll wait til the Blood of Gondor and Black Riders expansions come out for the Lord of the Rings LCG and try my best to get an $80 order for free shipping.

(Or perhaps I'll go ahead and get Arkham Horror. I must admit, though, that the 4 hr. plus play time scares me a bit.)

Arkham Horror is time demanding, this is true, but after you get accustomed to the rules, one game should usually last around 2 hours (it depends strongly on the number of people playing; I tend to play alone or with my husband, and we generally play under 90 minutes; with more friends, you need more time to debate about strategy, so the game could slow down a little)

Thanks for your input, Julia.

Is Arkham Horror as enjoyable in solo play as compared to with one other person or 3+ players?

It is likely that I would be playing Arkham Horror by myself most of the time (similar to Elder Sign and LotR) or occasionally with one other player. So, I was just wondering how the entertainment value fluctuates.

I have something like 100 solitaire games under my belt (out of the over 250 played during the years) and I always enjoy every minute of it! Point is that you can assign multiple investigators to yourself: playing 3 or 4 investigators grants you a huge variety of options and role specializations (gate divers, monster whackers, clue hunters, and so on)

So, yes, don't be afraid of that. I don't know what you boardgames / rpgs background is, so maybe it could be a little difficult at the beginning moving all the investigators and remembering all the rules (but maybe not; really, depends on you), but it's not too a steep road and then you'll really have fun

I finally managed to snag a copy of this expansion! Yesterday evening, Miniature Market showed that they had three in stock and they were all sold within one hour (I got the last one.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't this expansion just come out this summer in June or July? I'm curious as to why it's already out of print and becoming harder and harder to find.

I'm just glad I was able to finally get one at it's retail price (hopefully Miniature Market doesn't email me back and say it was a cruel joke and it was actually still out of stock.)

Congrats for getting the game!

As for your question... I've often seen FFG titles going out of stock pretty soon: I imagine this is because there is quite a big demand from distributors for their games. Printing a lot of copies is often very expensive (you need big warehouses to store the games and so on); probably they do prefer having a smaller run of copies and then reprint the title

I'm still waiting for two ships of X-Wing wave 2: I preordered them from my usual games pusher, and he received both Slave A and Millennium Falcon, but never the other two ships. And it's one year, now :-(

I feel your pain, Julia! Not only did it take me awhile to find a copy of Unseen Forces (which by the way shipped today!) but it took me much longer to get the full first wave of Adventure Packs (the Shadows of Mirkwood cycle) for the Lord of the Rings LCG. I got into the game at a time when they were out of print and impossible to find (unless you wanted to pay $40+ for a pack of 60 cards that retails for $15.)

Then one day I found a great deal on eBay for a 2nd core set as well as ALL the first wave adventure packs, so I grabbed it up. It was another 4-5 weeks before the reprints of that adventure pack wave hit shelves. And now I believe the 2nd wave of adventure packs for LotR (the Dwarrowdelf cycle) is falling out of print day by day.

So, I guess your assumption does make sense because it seems like many of FFG's small expansion products are only around for short bursts of time; whereas, their larger sets and core games are easier to find consistently.

I sure am excited to play Unseen Forces, though!

:-) Let us know if you like the expansion! And good luck with the Dwarrowdelf cycle! It's a good series of adventures (I like it better than Shadows over Mirkwood; even if, generally, all LotR series are definitely awesome :-) )

Well, I have a standing order with my local game shop to get the expansion. Will it be reprinted, or should I cancel and hope to find an existing copy?

The Upcoming page of this very site says the reprint is "on the boat". This means you should have it, in not too a long time (on the boat means four to six weeks, plus some more days to reach retailers)

The Upcoming page of this very site says the reprint is "on the boat". This means you should have it, in not too a long time (on the boat means four to six weeks, plus some more days to reach retailers)

Sail faster!! What do you think we pay you 50-cents a day for?! :)

Unseen Forces has been very popular...everyone waited up to two years for it. It sold out on it's first stocking at Cool Stuff Inc in 48 hours and they order in bulk.

Arkham is awesome solo. And with all the material available you can try new things all the time. I run 3 Investigators at a time others have run 1 up to about 4 and then it gets a little crazy :)

And with Miss Julia here you have been speaking to one of the most knowledgeable in the scene (and a creator of excellent custom content as well).

Karlson,

Unseen Forces made a slightly broken game much, much better. I'll echo the comments from Julia , suicidepuppet , and others in that Arkham Horror is a phenomenal game with endless replay value. I've played more than 100 games as a solo player with 4-Investigator teams and a win rate of 75%. When you win, it's a great feeling, but even when you're crushed you can take solace in the notion that it's a Lovecraftian game...and it feels right to either perish or go insane.

Cheers,

Joe