Favourite cutsom Investigators and Ancient Ones

By Jake yet again, in Fan Creations

Simple question, excluding ones you designed yourself, which are your favourite custom AOs and Investigators?

Edited by Jake yet again

I would say my favorites are not what folks would chose--I prefer characters that, while they may be weak, or the AO might be impossible to beat, go along with the theme. The moment you show me a character that is, say, a rum-runner, I'm sold.

I generally prefer heralds. Custom AOs tend to not be able to change the game as much (due to lack of text space). Plus they can't modify other AOs.

I generally prefer heralds. Custom AOs tend to not be able to change the game as much (due to lack of text space). Plus they can't modify other AOs.

Agreed with Avi. And, as for the Heralds, everything created by Avi, Amikezor, Veet, plus the custom Heralds used for Avi's League (Rovdjuret's and others' were really interesting)

I guess I ought to add my own picks. Like Dr Faust, I like custom material which is rich in theme.

The Unknown (from the third Spanish Fan League) is a very interesting, if slightly complicated, Ancient One.

Zooth-Cahurid (from Door To Saturn) creates an interesting dynamic in large player groups, as ones player's recklessness can spoil another player's day.

As for Investigators, I've got a soft spot for Harriet Klaus the Hierodule from Cult of the Golden Scarab. She could probably do with starting with a little less money in exchange for Voice of Ra as a starting spell, but she does feel suitably Egyptian.

Eddie Nelson (16 custom Investigators) is another neat idea for an investigator. Starting at Bishops Brook Bridge and with the ability to collect clue tokens without stopping his movement means that he can scoop up all the clues in that vicinity. He could do with the "Minor" tagline, although with 5 Speed and a Rail Pass, he probably won't need the Patrol Wagon anyhow and the $8 from Courier Run (which synergises well with his clue collection ability, as he needn't give up focusing on clue collection whilst completing his task) should see to his income needs.

There are two investigators that I always had a fondness for: Trish Scarborough (the Spy) and Jenny Barnes (the Dilettante).

Trish is probably one of the most unusually crafted FFG investigators out of any of them, and because of how her stats work I feel she has more flexibility than any other investigator. I don't think I've ever played her and not just had a blast.

I enjoy Jenny Barnes more from a design standpoint. She easily has the most simple ability of any investigator ever made (that I know of) and yet it does so much. Jenny Barnes to me always exists as a challenge to make content that manages to create the biggest impact in the least confusing way possible.

I just played a game with some custom characters over the weekend. I had a chance to play Angelina Everett from the pack of 16 custom investigators found on boardgamegeek, and, boy, was she fun.

I'm pretty sure we lost the game because of her, but her playstyle was really great and very innovative. She has a utility function as she starts with the Endless Greed corruption and a fair bit of cash along with the ability to invest into businesses in Arkham. It costs $3 to invest in a location, and for every 3 locations she invests in, she gains $1 on upkeep, and when she gains 6 investments, she passes her personal story.

Everytime the doom track hits an even number, she makes a lore check and if it fails, she looses and investment. (The only issue I had here was that given enough time, it is nearly impossible to fail the PS since there are only 5-6 chances to lose investments before the ancient one awakens, and you must lose them all to fail)

I ended up picking up Alchemical Process along the way, and she became a money farm. But she couldn't trade any of it until after the PS was over as endless greed prevents giving away money (it aslo triggers additional corruptions). Before she finished the PS, she had about 9 corruptions on her....

And wow, she just felt like a real "character" with a personal struggle while I was playing her. But because of all of the investment management, she didn't make a lot of progress in other areas. She'd be more useful most likely if playing with vortex boards where she can remove their influence while investing at the same time. Portal diving with her really cuts down the chance to pass her PS.

Either way, I had a lot of fun.

Edited by Soakman

Agreed with Avi. And, as for the Heralds, everything created by Avi, Amikezor, Veet, plus the custom Heralds used for Avi's League (Rovdjuret's and others' were really interesting)

And Julia's Heralds. ^^

same than Julia and Avi. Heralds/Scenarios cause the strongest changes with the smallest print space. They are my favorites.