Advice and Question after first session

By ZSpark, in Game Masters

Hello everyone. I'm new to Edge of the Empires (who isn't?) and GMing in general. We just had our first session, but all we did was created characters. However, I have do have a few questions after going through the rulebook.

1. when making a combat check, Advantage is spent to cause a critical injury. My questions is this advantage spend and then lost? or if a weapon has a certain quality that allows it's user to spend advantage for an effect, could he spend the same advantage he used for the critical injury to activate the quality as well?

I do not have the book in front of me so I can't see the weapons, but suppose a weapon had a critical rating of 3, and a quality that can be activated by spending 2 advantage, If a character hits with 3 advantage, can he do a critical hit and activate that quality? or would he need 5 total advantage to do both?

2. Obligation advice. I do not have much EU knowledge, and so this is one I need advice on. One of my players got the dutybound obligation and he wanted it to be that he is a Mandorlian. I have little knowledge and am currently researching them. But for any of you who do have this knowledge, do you have any advice on how to handle this obligation? Or is it something that I should not allow?

And yet another character got the Oath obligation and he wanted it to be "job comes first". He is a Bounty Hunter and we came up with a basic, there had been a specific Wookie he is looking for that always seems to get away. Is this a good idea? Or is it bad that he is focused on a single target?

3. I will be running the adventure in the back of the core rulebook (trouble brewing). Is this a good adventure to start with? Any things I should know about before running it as an inexperienced GM? Maybe something that came out as, I wish I knew about this earlier?

Thats all I can think of for right now. If i think of something else, I will post it here. Thanks everyone in advance.

Hello everyone. I'm new to Edge of the Empires (who isn't?) and GMing in general. We just had our first session, but all we did was created characters. However, I have do have a few questions after going through the rulebook.

1. when making a combat check, Advantage is spent to cause a critical injury. My questions is this advantage spend and then lost? or if a weapon has a certain quality that allows it's user to spend advantage for an effect, could he spend the same advantage he used for the critical injury to activate the quality as well?

I do not have the book in front of me so I can't see the weapons, but suppose a weapon had a critical rating of 3, and a quality that can be activated by spending 2 advantage, If a character hits with 3 advantage, can he do a critical hit and activate that quality? or would he need 5 total advantage to do both?

2. Obligation advice. I do not have much EU knowledge, and so this is one I need advice on. One of my players got the dutybound obligation and he wanted it to be that he is a Mandorlian. I have little knowledge and am currently researching them. But for any of you who do have this knowledge, do you have any advice on how to handle this obligation? Or is it something that I should not allow?

And yet another character got the Oath obligation and he wanted it to be "job comes first". He is a Bounty Hunter and we came up with a basic, there had been a specific Wookie he is looking for that always seems to get away. Is this a good idea? Or is it bad that he is focused on a single target?

3. I will be running the adventure in the back of the core rulebook (trouble brewing). Is this a good adventure to start with? Any things I should know about before running it as an inexperienced GM? Maybe something that came out as, I wish I knew about this earlier?

Thats all I can think of for right now. If i think of something else, I will post it here. Thanks everyone in advance.

First off, welcome to the world of GMing! You're taking your first steps into a really rewarding aspect of the hobby. To answer your questions:

1) Once Advantage is spent, it's spent, and cannot be triggered again. So, for example, if a weapon has a Crit Rating of 3, and it has two other qualities that could be triggered for 2 Advantage apiece, if the player rolls 4 Advantage, they can either activate the Crit Rating, or they can activate the two qualities, but not both (or they could activate one of the qualities and take a free maneuver, for instance).

2) This actually sounds like a really good way to handle a PC being a Mandalorian (as opposed to the folks that seem to want to make a race template and give them special bonus perks). I'd suggest looking up the Wookieepedia entry here for a good overview. What's most important, though, is that that the player should determine what being a Mandalorian means to him , and he should stick to his guns (no pun intended) as the Obligation comes up in play.

3) I haven't run the in-book adventure, but I've read it, and having been a GM for a long time, it looks pretty solid for a starting adventure (which I think is the point). It has a number of interludes that introduce other elements of the system, has a good mix of combat and social encounters, and includes starship stuff, so I think if you're confident in running, it's not a bad adventure to pick.

BTW, to confuse matters some qualities can be triggered more than once and if your weapon crits with 3 advantages and you roll 6 advantages, you can spend all 6 on the crit (3 to trigger the crit and the other 3 for +10 on the crit roll). I would spend the other 3 on something else but someone recently pointed out to me that there were things besides heal strain that you could do more than once

Thanks for the replies and responses. I appreciate it. That's how I thought it worked, the advantage in combat. I was just reading something in the Spaceship combat section and it kinda sounded like advantage spent on critical hits could also be used on other things.

1. As others have said, spent advantages are gone. Once they are used for crits or special abilities, or gaining boosts, whatever, they are not spent again

2. Those obligations sound fine to me. Might be worth your while to look up Mandalorians on wookipedia just for some background info. And the Bounty Hunter one sounds just a good idea as any. As GM, try your best to not restrict things "just because". Specifically, you shouldn't restrict things just because they're boring ideas, but you should have a really good reason for restricting it. Like, if someone is trying to get around the rules or breaking the spririt of the game.

3. I'm not familiar with that quest in the core rulebook, so I'm not sure. The Beginner Box comes with a great starting adventure (Escape from Mos Shuuta), and there's a follow up adventure to that one called Long Arm of the Hutt for a free download PDF from this site. The beginner box comes with a cost (around $25), but it does come with a second set of dice, an adventure, pre-generated characters, fold out maps, and tokens. Definitely worth the price. The adventure is designed in a very linear fashion to help teach the rules. At least consider it.