Tome of Decay / Rot / Generally Not Looking Very Healthy

By 51powerski, in Black Crusade

Fantastic news! Backward compatibility is exactly what we need. We homeruled BC skill list to DH2 beta skill list and it generally works fine..If we could have an official list, that would be useful.
Even the fact that BC was mentioned means a lot.

Even the fact that BC was mentioned means a lot.

Yeah, it's good to know I'm not the only one who thinks BC is often treated like the red-headed stepchild of the 40k family ;)

I have two Nurgle "inclined" players in my group and they are (un?)dying to get their filthy hands on this book.. :)

Yeah, it's good to know I'm not the only one who thinks BC is often treated like the red-headed stepchild of the 40k family ;)

What do you expect? We're all heretic scum here. :)

More ruinous power (cant get enough) could be great especially cybernetics (mean nasty chaos tainted ones) and poisons, viruses, and other decaying goods....

Rouge trade and deathwatch also contains a lot of adversaries which can be used in BC like allies or minions to ( which means a bestiary is needed to xeno beast, mercs ect) [may be they will works these together in 1 book)

You may well get your wish re cybernetics - after all, the other legion which will be in the book will presumably be Iron Warriors.

That's one thing that intrigues me; what else will be in the book.

We can assume, from the three precedents:

Death Guard Advanced Archetype

Iron Warrior Advanced Archetype

two 'human' Advanced Archetypes (??? Plague Priests? Zombie Masters? Something Dark Mechanicum-related?)

A small armoury. For starters, the main rulebook only has one set of rules for the Power Scythe, despite listing both human and legion versions in the text.

A Nurglesque Adventure

Something Else - This has, respectively, been new psychic powers & rituals, rules for legacy weapons & massed battles, social engagements & conversions - so....what fits nurgle?

I think the idea of Nurgle as a god of life will be completely lost, though

The whole 'garden of Nurgle' malarkey made it through into the most recent Daemons book, though. So there's hope.

As i counting there could be an archetype for Nurgle plague marines for Deathguard , another war-smith for iron warrriors, (undiveded) expanded nurgleish and siege weapons.. (for the crusades) also rituals...

The 2 human archetype could be 1 in heretek flavor and an another maybe a local decay priest (some social type guy)/ cult leader... maybe some rules how to manage warbands in skirmishes, raids or in larger battles..

(at least these what i miss now)

With them going with backwards compatibility on DH2, hopefully they will do more in this line. While I would not run a BC campaign, I think the books make excellent background information for the Game Master of the DH game.

I really enjoy the WH40k line that they have. I avoid their Fantasy and Star Wars games like the play because they use "special dice". I don't know why it bothers me like it does, perhaps it's because their Fantasy dice was out of stock for so long that people on Amazon were selling them for $60+, but when I see that a game requires dice that is not easily purchasable then I lose interest. I hope they don't do that to DH2 and the subsequent rule systems. If they do, they've lost themselves a guy who has bought every book in the 40k series, Dark Heresy through Deathwatch.

I was thinking that the Star Wars dice might be a bit gimmicky, but so far they really seem to add to the narrative aspect of the game. I will have to see how they scale as the players get more powerful, but like them so far.

EDIT: I doubt they will put the new dice in. It would be a big change that would not make the game very backwards compatible. They use small numbers in Star Wars to limit the number of dice.

Edited by Torg Smith

I was thinking that the Star Wars dice might be a bit gimmicky, but so far they really seem to add to the narrative aspect of the game. I will have to see how they scale as the players get more powerful, but like them so far.

EDIT: I doubt they will put the new dice in. It would be a big change that would not make the game very backwards compatible. They use small numbers in Star Wars to limit the number of dice.

Thanks for your reply. I don't doubt that the game is good, like I said I really enjoy their games. My brother bought the "main book" for WH Fantasy thinking he could just pick up and play it but was burned when he saw he needed dice. We waited for months for them to come back to the store and checking other retailers (who again were charging ridiculous amounts). Just don't want to go through all that again. Glad you enjoy it though, I thoroughly enjoy Star Wars. I played the old d6 rpg back in the day and had a blast in multiple games.

Actually, they did something for Star Wars to help with the dice. They provided a PDF that you could print onto sticky paper. You could then cut them out and put on regular dice (6, 8, and 12 sided dice). You would not need to worry about inflated dice cost.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/StarWarsRPG/edge-of-the-empire/beta/support/SWR01_Dice%20Stickers%20(high-res).pdf

I would recommend they do this whenever they do specialty dice.

man am i ever getting sick (lulz) of waiting for tome of *insert nurgly adjective*!

cmon guys, get at it!

Yes, they need to make a Nurgle Book. I recall someone at Games Workshop was asked "which Chaos god is your favourite to portray" and he said Nurgle without missing a heartbeat. It would be exciting. All the grotesque glory of the Lord of Decay.

We are almost there, 3 down, 1 to go! Even if we have to crowdfund it through kickstarter, we must make it happen.

FFG shall reveal and release it when they are sure they have enough material for it. No sooner.

As long as that's the only hold up and they are planning to release it I have no problems at all.

Otherwise Peterstepon's idea of a kickstarter would be a very good idea. Gotta complete the set!

I'd be willing to bet that the main hold up is the overhaul to DHv2. So far none of the other lines have had any real news in a while. I think the last thing was a developer's journal about faith and coin....although if there are any play testers who just can't hold in the excitement anymore we, the community, are willing to relive you of your burden :)

Another edge of the empire book! That's where all the developers have gone. We're old news. To be tossed aside now.

Another edge of the empire book! That's where all the developers have gone. We're old news. To be tossed aside now.

Aww Gamgee don't be such a sour puss. For WH40K lines they are making the Faith & Coin and No Surrrender. So this is not so deadline as you might suggest.

Just thingking about DH, almost every Hardcore DH player was crying that DH was dead but suddenly FFG delivers news that they are making DH 2.0.

Just wait and see.

although if there are any play testers who just can't hold in the excitement anymore we, the community, are willing to relive you of your burden :)

This dear playtesters... Papa Nurgle would not be mad with you.

Of course FFG on the other hand...

still no real news. this is getting dumb on the scale of cancelling firefly. finish what you start FFG! tome of rot/decay is loooooong over due.

WTB Tome of Paternal Love!

To be fair, from a philosophical viewpoint, Nurgle's a tough nut to crack. At face value, he doesn't have the raw appeal of the other gods. Slaanesh can grant you your desires, Tzeentch can grant you knowledge, Khorne can grant you martial greatness, and Nurgle can make you really sick. Let's give them some time to contemplate the great mysteries of the blubbery one.

To be fair, from a philosophical viewpoint, Nurgle's a tough nut to crack. At face value, he doesn't have the raw appeal of the other gods. Slaanesh can grant you your desires, Tzeentch can grant you knowledge, Khorne can grant you martial greatness, and Nurgle can make you really sick. Let's give them some time to contemplate the great mysteries of the blubbery one.

Are you kidding?

Nurgle is the god of making you really, really, really, really tough, and protects you against disease. He is also practically the only god who, along with his daemons, genuinely (well.. arguably, at least) cares about their worshippers - he's not called 'Papa' Nurgle for nothing.

When you want to not waste away, when you want to live forever, and when you fear change - the opposite of Tzeentch - that's when you get pulled in by the lure of Nurgle.

And considering how many are afraid of dying, there's a few potential converts.

While in the real world Nurgle would be very popular, players as a general rule just don't tend to like playing characters that are physically repulsive.

(Not saying that Nurglites are the only ones that move in that direction, but more so than others.)