A board game?

By Mike, in Blue Moon

It says card game - but is under the board game part of the forums? Could somebody enlighten me why?

I read this somewhere... this card game is based on the board game called Blue Moon City... or is it viceversa?

vermillian said:

I read this somewhere... this card game is based on the board game called Blue Moon City... or is it viceversa?

The card game was first. There also exists a quite good book BTW - at least in German.

Give the board game a go. In my experience it's ton better than the card game. The board game is actually one of the more fun games we play. The card game is one of our least favorite games to play.

Royaldoy said:

Give the board game a go. In my experience it's ton better than the card game. The board game is actually one of the more fun games we play. The card game is one of our least favorite games to play.

Any reasons why? (Not disagreeing, just curious as to which to look at picking up.)

The board game is fun, but the card game is far superior.

jadrax said:

Any reasons why? (Not disagreeing, just curious as to which to look at picking up.)

The card game is fun and has more playability. You have, what 11 decks? And a few other add ons to be used between 2 players. It is more a fist fight than the board game. You can play the base game alone, but you'll probably want to try out the other decks as well. And now is a good time since FFG has them supercheap on their website.

The board game is also good but a completely different beast. It accomodates 4 and is building game. it's more of a marathon than the fist fight above. This game really only shares the artwork and a loose theme with the game above.

They are both good games and your specific preference will determine which is "better."

The board game and the card game share the same mythology, but are two different types of games and therefore will appeal to different types of gamers.

The board game is more of a euro - lots of planning, building, patience. Trying to achieve your objective as efficiently as possible.

The card game is ameritrash in many ways - two decks fighting it out to see who comes out on top. Sure, there's a degree of resource management in terms of building your hand to ensure a killing end-game, but the enjoyment is more immediate, less 'detached' than in Blue Moon City.

My preference is definitely toward the card game.

Isnt there also a "Blue Moon" RPG out there?

No official RPG that I am aware of. There was some talking about porting the universe to some existing RPGs, but AFAIK it never got really far.

Also its pretty hard to write a background world with one book and some random quotes on cards.

FWIW, there's a PC version of the game out there where you play the AI... and it's pretty good. Lackey CCG also has it if you're keen to play against other people online.

well, i disliked the Blue Moon City one, when i really love Blue Moon. so that's not a rule the Board Game is superior to the Card Game :)

ColtsFan76 said:

jadrax said:

The card game is fun and has more playability. You have, what 11 decks? And a few other add ons to be used between 2 players. It is more a fist fight than the board game. You can play the base game alone, but you'll probably want to try out the other decks as well. And now is a good time since FFG has them supercheap on their website.

The board game is also good but a completely different beast. It accomodates 4 and is building game. it's more of a marathon than the fist fight above. This game really only shares the artwork and a loose theme with the game above.

They are both good games and your specific preference will determine which is "better."

I agree. They are very different games within the same "universe."

Blue Moon City and Blue Moon are VERY different games and which one you prefer will be mostly personal preference.

I think Blue Moon is listed as a board game because that is the audience it is marketed to, even though it is a card game at heart.

Well, to the original question, Blue Moon isn't a "Living Card Game" because FFG doesn't develop new decks for the game and it's not a collectable card game since the decks are not random. That pretty much leaves the board game category, which is really just a catch all for a most tabletop games. The Silver Line and Family subcategories do not work either since they, I believe, use packaging size as part of their classification.

Edit: Actually...I just realized FFG provides a pretty good description of each category when you click on it from the Catalog link. That should answer your question.