Thinking about starting Call of Cthulhu

By End1e551, in Call of Cthulhu Deck Construction

Hi everyone! Just had a quick question about the game.

Do I have to buy 3 or 4 of each set and expansion to be able to make this game viable from a playing perspective?

Also, what would be a good starting "package" to get into the game?

I've always been interested in the Cthulhu mythos and really enjoy the games. At the moment this is the only one I'm not stocked up on, but if I don't have to buy multiples of everything that could all change very soon!

Thanks for any responses and help :)

If you're just interested in casual play then I would say, no you do not have to by 3 or 4 of everything. The only exception to that would be for instance if you wanted to make a pure Mi-Go (creature/character subtype) themed deck you might have to track down multiples of certain releases.

Start off with-

1st Core Set

1 Secrets of Arkham

Then if you gotta have more-

2nd Core Set for more consistency

*The Order of the Silver Twilight

*The Rituals of the Order

*Ancient Relics

*Revelations

The last 4 I suggest to include the added 8th faction Silver Twilight but you could certainly skip them if you feel there is no need. The Yuggoth Contract or Forgotten Lore Asylum Pack series would be a good alternative. If you develop an affinity for a particular faction you could consider eventually picking up one of the faction specific deluxe box sets as well.

Cardgamedb.com (just purchased by FFG) has card spoilers so don't take my word for it! Check out the card images to decide for yourself.

Edited by Hybrid

Thanks for the response Hybrid!

So if I were to mainly be playing a 2 player game, would one of each release be enough? What about a 3 player game?

From one core set you can build various decks with different faction combinations while spitting the Neutrals for a two player game. Those decks will be quite diluted and random which is not a bad thing necessarily as you will see a different aspect of the deck each time you play it. If you would like more consistent play and theme you could buy an additional core set and/or Secrets of Arkham. For me to really know how many copies of each release would satisfy your needs perhaps you could answer this question,

What is your 'play perspective'?

Super Casual - Making a one-time purchase, building balanced decks that will not change and playing the game much like a board game.

Casual - Keeping up with the recent releases but not necessarily purchasing every release, building and breaking down decks on occasion based on themes- mechanic, subtype etc.

Competitive - Trying to twist, abuse and break every card ever printed in ways never intended by the designers to dominate the world or your best friend's kitchen table.

Edited by Hybrid

Casual, with usually 2 players but up to 4 max. I'm a bit of a collector though so I'd like to have enough variety to make at least 2 competitive decks.

I apologize for loosing track of our discussion! From what you've told me I would recommend, 1 Core+Seekers of Knowledge+The Key and the Gate. The Core with give you accessories, rulebook, storycard deck and 1 copy of cards that are fundamental to the core mechanics of the game. Appealing to the collector in you I recommend the two faction specific deluxe boxes that have full play sets that will have plenty of support for their contained mechanics and themes. I would take a look here www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/CoC/CoCCards.html to determine for certain if the Miskatonic University and Yog-sothoth factions and their associated deluxe boxes are of interest. Secrets of Arkham would be a decent substitute for either. I'll be interested to hear what you decided and how it all worked out.

What is your 'play perspective'?

Super Casual- Making a one-time purchase, building balanced decks that will not change and playing the game much like a board game.

Casual- Keeping up with the recent releases but not necessarily purchasing every release, building and breaking down decks on occasion based on themes- mechanic, subtype etc.

Competitive- Trying to twist, abuse and break every card ever printed in ways never intended by the designers to dominate the world or your best friend's kitchen table.

Hay Hybrid,

Not trying to hijack the thread but I'd be interested in your suggestion for the Super Casual player with a view of 2-4 players. is it possible to make 4 nice varied but balanced decks? I'd happily invest a bit of time and money if i could make a compact ready to go 2-4 player pre-constructed "box set" so to speak.

Well, the Core set has 7 factions and a set of Neutral cards that you're intended to divide into two halves in order to make two decks. I wouldn't see a big problem being short on the Neutrals, but with each deck needing two factions you'd be one short.

If you want to make a package that will handle four players with a minimal purchase, maybe get one Core and one copy of the Silver Twilight expansion. Then you can make your 8th faction pack (there's a recent thread on the cardgamedb.com forums of some suggested "core" Silver Twilight cards) and use the Neutrals from the ST set to help flesh out the selection into four Neutral packs.

You'll also have some extra cards left over that you can use for tuning the faction packs a little.

I've done something similar to my Cthulhu CCG cards.

Normally I'd mention the possibility of skipping Silver Twilight (8th faction) but including it works nicely with your plan of 4 varied and balanced decks.

2 Core

1 Secrets of Arkham

1 The Order of the Silver Twilight

1 Rituals of the Order

Seekers of Knowledge and The Key and the Gate I like but many of their themes and mechanics are better supported by mono-faction decks. Yog/Shub, Syn/ST, Cthu/Has, M.U./Agen would be some possible match ups. Building two faction decks rather than mono-faction decks will help display what makes this game stand out, it's resource mechanic. I would also suggest if possible an even split between the two factions so it would be possible to occasionally switch up the faction matches, for instance 25 Yog 25 Shub and 6 Neutral. The decks can afford to be a little fat which may lead to them staying fresh by playing differently from game to game. Using CGDBs card browser you can find vital single cards outside of the list that you can acquire by only purchasing single asylum packs.

Hay Hybrid,

Not trying to hijack the thread but I'd be interested in your suggestion for the Super Casual player with a view of 2-4 players. is it possible to make 4 nice varied but balanced decks? I'd happily invest a bit of time and money if i could make a compact ready to go 2-4 player pre-constructed "box set" so to speak.

Edited by Hybrid

Im thinking about getting into CoC.

This will be my 4th lcg. Netrunner, star wars, and warhammer. What drew me to these games is the lcg factor. All the cards are there for evryone, there is no card hunting. Im a guy who enjoys tournament play. Not really to go out and win evry match, i just like playing against diffrent people. So here is my question are the cards from the CoC ccg legal for tourny play in the CoC lcg tournaments.

Generally speaking, CCG-era cards (which have a black border) are not tournament legal.

Some CCG cards were reprinted in the white-border/LCG format. These are probably fine to use for local tournaments as long as you okay them with your Tournament Organizer ahead of time. For official tournaments, such as a regional championship, I would say they aren't allowed, though again your TO may decide otherwise depending on how many people are participating, if everyone is new and has a limited card pool, etc...

Note that some CCG cards had their stats and text changed when reprinted as LCG cards. You have to use the most recent version of the card.

Edited by Yipe

Thank you. Im kinda ocd about card games. I cant just have a pack here a deluxe exp. There. I have to have a play set of evrything. Knowing that i dont have to go out and buy box after box trying to put play sets together im sold! CoC:Lcg meet Sw:lcg NR:lcg and WH:I lcg. Welcome to my gaming collection.

I'm an OCD collector too so I know how you feel. I own 1000s of the CCG-ear cards, but only because I got them for super cheap ($5 per sealed booster box). I recommend sticking with just the white-border cards. Overall they're better playability-wise, and the artwork is superior.

Edited by Yipe

Greets everyone,

Thanks for this thread.

Quick question. I will be playing Cthulhu LCG shortly I hope, with one one other opponent, but I need to provide all the cards for her. Thus would you recommend, in addition to the Core Set and Secrets of Akrham, getting a second core set as well for more cards and availabile neutrals to make our decks more consistent and playable? I'm really waiting for the last asylum reprints as well, expanded to 60 cards / pack.

The factions she really wants to play are Cthulhu / Hastur, which are not yet released in Deluxe version.

I'm interested in a Silver Twilight / Miskatonic mix. Perhaps I should simply get each of those boxes too, and maybe a few asylum pakcs (60 counts) of your suggestion for a few more ST cards?

Greets everyone,

Thanks for this thread.

Quick question. I will be playing Cthulhu LCG shortly I hope, with one one other opponent, but I need to provide all the cards for her. Thus would you recommend, in addition to the Core Set and Secrets of Akrham, getting a second core set as well for more cards and availabile neutrals to make our decks more consistent and playable? I'm really waiting for the last asylum reprints as well, expanded to 60 cards / pack.

The factions she really wants to play are Cthulhu / Hastur, which are not yet released in Deluxe version.

I'm interested in a Silver Twilight / Miskatonic mix. Perhaps I should simply get each of those boxes too, and maybe a few asylum pakcs (60 counts) of your suggestion for a few more ST cards?

Welcome to the game! The good news for your (girl)friend is that Cthulhu or Hastur is anticipated to be the next box announced. It's possible that it could be Shub, but most people don't think it will be. Another core would be a good next purchase, which will give you more flexibility in deckbuilding and consistency to your decks, as you said. I would suggest waiting just a few more weeks, as the reprint of Secrets of Arkham in the revised x3 format will be released soon. I also would recommend getting The Shifting Sands chapter pack right away.

The MU box would likely be significantly stronger than any cthulhu or Hastur decks that the core/SoA cards could make. You would just need to temper the power of the deck a little bit. I mean, you want her to keep playing right? ;)

If you want to get Silver Twilight right away to add an eight faction, be aware that that box is very..."interesting". It is much more combo oriented and a little more difficult to play. IMO a lot of the cards aren't that good, but if you wanted to get more ST cards to shore it up, consider Into Tartarus (for Master of the Myths), Initiations of the Favored (for Protector of Secrets), Curse of the Jade Emporer (for Initiate of Huang Hun), and The Breathing Jungle (for Dirk Sharpe and The Doorway).

Thank you for the Welcome danigral. This is a supportive community.

Good advice you offered. One question, just so I can assess properly:

what makes the Sifting Sands Pack so important? I've never heard it discussed before as I peruse new player threads.

The Shifting Sands has the most recent (and the best imo) story deck. It is necessary if you ever want to play in any official events like tournaments. It also has very good cards, particularly for Cthulhu.

The Shifting Sands has the most recent (and the best imo) story deck. It is necessary if you ever want to play in any official events like tournaments. It also has very good cards, particularly for Cthulhu.

Thank you again Danigral.

I think we will do this:

Core x 2 (when reprinted)

Secrets of Arkham expansion (reprinted)

Shifting Sands pack

ASAP UPON RELEASE:

Seekers of Knowledge packs (all of them). I love the cards in these.

Hastur or Cthulhu and MIskatonic boxes

Down the Road:

Silver Twilight box and accompanying former Asylum series

This would allow us to get a nice first buy, then when the Seekers series goes to a 60 card each reprint we will enjoy getting our hands on those as well. Perhaps that will be near the time they release or at least announce the next box.

Twilight we'll add in later unless an already established faction catches our eye.

Thank you so much.

Edited by Blutsteigen

Thank you again Danigral.

I think we will do this:

Core x 2 (when reprinted)

Secrets of Arkham expansion (reprinted)

Shifting Sands pack

ASAP UPON RELEASE:

Seekers of Knowledge packs (all of them). I love the cards in these.

Hastur or Cthulhu and MIskatonic boxes

Down the Road:

Silver Twilight box and accompanying former Asylum series

This would allow us to get a nice first buy, then when the Seekers series goes to a 60 card each reprint we will enjoy getting our hands on those as well. Perhaps that will be near the time they release or at least announce the next box.

Twilight we'll add in later unless an already established faction catches our eye.

Thank you so much.

Just to clarify, Seekers of Knowledge is the Miskatonic deluxe expansion. It is not a cycle of packs. Currently, there are 6 deluxe expansions:

1. Secrets of Arkham (about to be reprinted in revised format)
  2. The Order of the Silver Twilight (introduces ST)
  3. Seekers of Knowledge (Miskatonic)
  4. The Key and the Gate (Yog-Sothoth)
  5. Terror in Venice (thematic box with all factions expanding ideas of Conspiracies and Day/Night mechanic)
  6. Denizens of the Underworld (Syndicate - released tomorrow)

There are 7 cycles, each with 6 packs:

1. Forgotten Lore (the most thematic from mythos standpoint, only has original 7 factions, no ST)
  2. Summons of the Deep (also only original 7 factions)
  3. Dreamlands (largely unavailable but scheduled for reprint)
  4. Yuggoth Contract (also only original 7 factions - expands on some faction subthemes like Mi-Go for example)
  5. Rituals of the Order (first cycle to have all 8 factions)
  6. Ancient Relics (introduces new story deck and Relic support cards)
  7. Revelations (very thematic cycle with lots of Tomes and cool conspiracies for each faction - last of the cycles)

If she likes Cthulhu, then I would definitely grab The Shifting Sands for this card alone:

Khopesh of the Abyss

In your case, the new story deck is just a bonus :)

Also, if you could tell us why she likes Cthulhu and Hastur we can point you in the right direction with regards to which APs to buy. For example, Into Tartarus as Danigral suggested not only comes with a great Silver Twilight card, but also Stygian Eye which is an excellent Hastur card.

Note that the Khopesh and Stygian Eye are both restricted, so you can only have 1 of them in your deck (up to 3 copies of your chosen restricted card).

Just to clarify, Seekers of Knowledge is the Miskatonic deluxe expansion. It is not a cycle of packs. Currently, there are 6 deluxe expansions:

1. Secrets of Arkham (about to be reprinted in revised format)
  2. The Order of the Silver Twilight (introduces ST)
  3. Seekers of Knowledge (Miskatonic)
  4. The Key and the Gate (Yog-Sothoth)
  5. Terror in Venice (thematic box with all factions expanding ideas of Conspiracies and Day/Night mechanic)
  6. Denizens of the Underworld (Syndicate - released tomorrow)

There are 7 cycles, each with 6 packs:

1. Forgotten Lore (the most thematic from mythos standpoint, only has original 7 factions, no ST)
  2. Summons of the Deep (also only original 7 factions)
  3. Dreamlands (largely unavailable but scheduled for reprint)
  4. Yuggoth Contract (also only original 7 factions - expands on some faction subthemes like Mi-Go for example)
  5. Rituals of the Order (first cycle to have all 8 factions)
  6. Ancient Relics (introduces new story deck and Relic support cards)
  7. Revelations (very thematic cycle with lots of Tomes and cool conspiracies for each faction - last of the cycles)

My apologies for the confusion Danigral -- I intended to say, "Summons of the Deep Packs," not "Seekers of Knowledge" asylum packs. Probably made you feel like you had to start with square one for me.

The descriptions and + extra info on each of the seven you offered is incredibly helpful, however. Thank you.

Edited by Blutsteigen

@ Yipe -- I'll definitely get back to you on the appeal of Hastur and Cthulhu.

I will put Shifting Sands and Into Tartarus on our buy-list for sure.

Another Question gents:

I could probably easily pick up the whole Yuggoth cycle in the 60 card form. As Danigral said the series

expands on some faction subthemes like Mi Go.

BUT, should we perhaps hold off on those until later, and save money for earlier releases as well as the ones discussed above? What's your quick take on the quality and necessity of the Yugoth cycle?

Edited by Blutsteigen

Blutsteigen,

You might find this thread helpful. Scroll down a bit for info on the Asylum Pack cycles.

Blutsteigen,

You might find this thread helpful. Scroll down a bit for info on the Asylum Pack cycles.

Thank you kindly. I think i'm well armed to spend some money now. Cheers to you both.

I have just picked this up today, it's my first card game since trying MTG about 8 years ago. I am a little confused about deck creation, I only have the core set and I have read that it's best to make a deck with one or two factions, however even with two factions, I would have to take all of the neutral cards available to make a deck of at least 50 cards, to make a second deck of 50 cards I would have to use 3 factions and the remaining few neutral cards. For now are two decks of 43 cards enough? That seems to be the maximum size I can have with two full factions from the core set + 3 neutral cards. I do intend to purchase Secrets of Arkham once it's available again.