Another Character Generator

By OggDude, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

Well, looks like I’ve chosen the worst time to need help. I cannot for the life of me get this thing to work in portability mode with a custom dataset working and AWS is my next pathway but I’d prefer not to do that. Is there anyone here who could help me with this step by step. Using computers should be fun and easy, everything windows is not. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

6 hours ago, KalElKenobi1138 said:

Well, looks like I’ve chosen the worst time to need help. I cannot for the life of me get this thing to work in portability mode with a custom dataset working and AWS is my next pathway but I’d prefer not to do that. Is there anyone here who could help me with this step by step. Using computers should be fun and easy, everything windows is not. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Hey hop on the Discord server and shoot me a ping (@Marlow#4067), happy to help you get this set up.

On 1/18/2021 at 8:19 PM, NicoJMont said:

Yes he is working on my updates

Awesome. That's all I needed to know.

Ok, thanks to Marlow for helping me get the generator working on a USB drive. Now, the problem is, is that the app still automatically saves characters to the app data roaming directory that is specific to users on different machines. How does one go about changing it so that it saves more locally? Logically this make sense if you want to use the generator on multiple computers and keeping the same data, characters, etc. all in the same place. And for the record this was a PITA as I had to install on a drive then I had to copy and paste my dataset in the install folder and then copy the ItemDescriptor file from the original dataset as it messed with being able to create item modifications.

Change the data directory under settings of the launcher

Unfortunately that’s not how that works to my knowledge. It only controls what data you’re pulling from and not where you’re saving it to.

18 minutes ago, KalElKenobi1138 said:

Unfortunately that’s not how that works to my knowledge. It only controls what data you’re pulling from and not where you’re saving it to.

Yes that is the setting. It allows you to share databases etc.

The point is to put everything on a cloud share so multiple people can use the same data for a game.

20 minutes ago, KalElKenobi1138 said:

No, changing the data path changes both. I’ve got all of our computers pointed at the same network drive directory.

Ugh idk why it’s not working then.

2 hours ago, Nytwyng said:

No, changing the data path changes both. I’ve got all of our computers pointed at the same network drive directory.

This

17 minutes ago, KalElKenobi1138 said:

Ugh idk why it’s not working then.

Click data info. see what it says

13 hours ago, Daeglan said:

Click data info. see what it says

It says that it can’t be found at that location then it creates a file in the Roaming folder. No matter what order I click portability or data path or data info it always creates the SWCharGen folder in there. I’d show a photo of the set up but it simply doesn’t work. And no matter where I try to place a new dataset (it’s worked before but on a singe machine) it says it’s not valid. So can somebody please walk me through step by step starting at extraction to make this work on a single usb drive? Thank you.

1 hour ago, KalElKenobi1138 said:

It says that it can’t be found at that location then it creates a file in the Roaming folder. No matter what order I click portability or data path or data info it always creates the SWCharGen folder in there. I’d show a photo of the set up but it simply doesn’t work. And no matter where I try to place a new dataset (it’s worked before but on a singe machine) it says it’s not valid. So can somebody please walk me through step by step starting at extraction to make this work on a single usb drive? Thank you.

could it be the USB drive is showing up as different drive letters

Possibly, is there a way to assign the letter, change it between each machine, or some other way?

1 minute ago, KalElKenobi1138 said:

Possibly, is there a way to assign the letter, change it between each machine, or some other way?

yes go to properties and tell it what drive letter

I'm making a custom armor attachment called an "Internal Database" which would give a +1 to intellect to the wearer. For the mods, I have it set to were they can mod it once to add +1 ranks in So-and-so Knowledge skill (basically, each mod gives you 1 rank in the knowledge skill you select).

I've run into a problem though: I plan to add two new knowledge skills to my game eventually, Knowledge: Unknown Regions, and Knowledge: Weapons. The data editor doesn't allow me to select custom skills in the same way I can base skills, and I can't find any way to do so. Does anyone here have any suggestions?

23 hours ago, Daeglan said:

yes go to properties and tell it what drive letter

Well, unfortunately, my computer has crashed, so now I can't fix it until AFTER they shut down the forum. Maybe somebody on the discord can help when I'm up and running again. But at this point, I'm thinking the only way this is getting done ever is to just ditch the idea of a virtual machine and just use bootcamp. I'm not sure if running this on AWS is worth it because I know nothing about it, how to set it up, or how it would even work on my iPad. I didn't want to tote my computer to every game, but this is my own personal ****. Welcome one and all to the farce that is my life now I guess.

47 minutes ago, KalElKenobi1138 said:

Well, unfortunately, my computer has crashed, so now I can't fix it until AFTER they shut down the forum. Maybe somebody on the discord can help when I'm up and running again. But at this point, I'm thinking the only way this is getting done ever is to just ditch the idea of a virtual machine and just use bootcamp. I'm not sure if running this on AWS is worth it because I know nothing about it, how to set it up, or how it would even work on my iPad. I didn't want to tote my computer to every game, but this is my own personal ****. Welcome one and all to the farce that is my life now I guess.

OK, I see that you’re trying to go tablet, and avoid carrying your laptop with you.

For a time, while looking for the system that I found worked best for me, I purchased an inexpensive, sub-$100 Windows tablet that I installed it on. (It was also handy for my coworkers that played, but didn’t have the software. I’d take that tablet in to the office for them to update their characters, then give them the PDF of their character sheet to print before leaving the office.) The tablet was slow, but it did its job.

I'm not sure if this helps the overall problem but for Tablet mode and also having the same stuff on PC i use my OneDrive as the data-location, that way it syncs everytime i have access to the net and still have all the data directly on my Tablet. And for PCs i just ask them to upload their updated xml file onto OneDrive so i can import them and have a look.

This only works (as far as i got it to work) with your own onedrive, as I need a reachable database even without network access (one location we normally play is way off grid :D ).

Just if this helps in some way, because this works perfectly fine for me... So should any other way to locally synch an otherwise online available data-location.

I have experimented with other ways but wasn't proficient enough with those systems to get it to work for different users that do not use the same windows user and therefore the same OneDrive. That would be perfect as it yould be the same for the whole group, but this works fine so far.

Hi all,

First off, I'm a huge Star Wars nerd, and your work is amazing. Second, I was wondering if there is anything I could do to assist the project in any way. Sorry if there is a resource somewhere that explains all this...its a big thread.

Next, is the latest version of additions still Rise of the Separatists? I was thinking of entering a bunch of stuff in from the later books (Dawn of Rebellion, Starships and Speeders, etc), and figured I'd ask if there were plans to do that, or if its already done and the FAQ is just not up to date in the app itself.

Thoughts? Not sure how this all goes, but I can always donate too.

Thanks so much for making this amazing tool. It has made my life infinitely easier.

-Z

Forum is going down in a few hours, once and for all.

Right now OggDude and folks that can help you with the tool in general are reachable at This Site