Another Character Generator

By OggDude, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

Okay, I have downloaded the new zip file. Our group keeps our data folder on a drop box drive so we can all access it. We have manually filled in a lot of the descriptions, have characters, NPCs and modified equipment stored. I am don't really know how to install the new version to gain all of the improvements and still keep the stuff we have built. I am terrified that I will blow away a lot of work.

Is there a post somewhere in the hundreds of pages of this thread that explains what I need to do?

have you been doing the web install before? If so you uninstall and then reinstall. The data directories should not be effected. But the better way to do it is to use the web install as doing so makes this process easier.

Release 1.5.0.0

No joy:

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-28%20at%209.02.5

Details:

PLATFORM VERSION INFO

Windows : 6.2.9200.0 (Win32NT)

Common Language Runtime : 4.0.30319.34209

System.Deployment.dll : 4.0.30319.34243 built by: FX452RTMGDR

clr.dll : 4.0.30319.34209 built by: FX452RTMGDR

dfdll.dll : 4.0.30319.34243 built by: FX452RTMGDR

dfshim.dll : 6.3.9600.16384 (winblue_rtm.130821-1623)

SOURCES

Deployment url : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26990628/deploy/SWCharGen/SWCharGenLauncher.application

Server : nginx

Application url : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26990628/deploy/SWCharGen/Application%20Files/SWCharGenLauncher_1_5_0_0/SWCharGenLauncher.exe.manifest

Server : nginx

IDENTITIES

Deployment Identity : SWCharGenLauncher.application, Version=1.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=0000000000000000, processorArchitecture=x86

Application Identity : SWCharGenLauncher.exe, Version=1.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=0000000000000000, processorArchitecture=x86, type=win32

APPLICATION SUMMARY

* Installable application.

ERROR SUMMARY

Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.

* Activation of https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26990628/deploy/SWCharGen/SWCharGenLauncher.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:

+ Reference in the manifest does not match the identity of the downloaded assembly SWCharGenShell.exe.

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY

No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS

* The manifest for this application does not have a signature. Signature validation will be ignored.

* The manifest for this application does not have a signature. Signature validation will be ignored.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS

* [8/29/2015 1:54:50 AM] : Activation of https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26990628/deploy/SWCharGen/SWCharGenLauncher.application has started.

* [8/29/2015 1:54:50 AM] : Processing of deployment manifest has successfully completed.

* [8/29/2015 1:54:50 AM] : Installation of the application has started.

* [8/29/2015 1:54:52 AM] : Processing of application manifest has successfully completed.

* [8/29/2015 1:54:57 AM] : Found compatible runtime version 4.0.30319.

* [8/29/2015 1:54:57 AM] : Request of trust and detection of platform is complete.

ERROR DETAILS

Following errors were detected during this operation.

* [8/29/2015 2:02:33 AM] System.Deployment.Application.InvalidDeploymentException (RefDefValidation)

- Reference in the manifest does not match the identity of the downloaded assembly SWCharGenShell.exe.

- Source: System.Deployment

- Stack trace:

at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.ProcessDownloadedFile(Object sender, DownloadEventArgs e)

at System.Deployment.Application.FileDownloader.DownloadModifiedEventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, DownloadEventArgs e)

at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadSingleFile(DownloadQueueItem next)

at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadAllFiles()

at System.Deployment.Application.FileDownloader.Download(SubscriptionState subState)

at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDependencies(SubscriptionState subState, AssemblyManifest deployManifest, AssemblyManifest appManifest, Uri sourceUriBase, String targetDirectory, String group, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options)

at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.DownloadApplication(SubscriptionState subState, ActivationDescription actDesc, Int64 transactionId, TempDirectory& downloadTemp)

at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.InstallApplication(SubscriptionState& subState, ActivationDescription actDesc)

at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)

at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS

No transaction information is available.

Edited by bradknowles

Capture.png

Ditto. :(

Edited by Dakkar98

Working fine with me, just installed it older the old version.

I keep getting it failing to install. with this error

PLATFORM VERSION INFO
	Windows 			: 6.1.7601.65536 (Win32NT)
	Common Language Runtime 	: 4.0.30319.34209
	System.Deployment.dll 		: 4.0.30319.34244 built by: FX452RTMGDR
	clr.dll 			: 4.0.30319.34209 built by: FX452RTMGDR
	dfdll.dll 			: 4.0.30319.34244 built by: FX452RTMGDR
	dfshim.dll 			: 4.0.41209.0 (Main.041209-0000)

SOURCES
	Deployment url			: file:///C:/Users/Daeglan/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/Internet%20Explorer/Quick%20Launch/User%20Pinned/StartMenu/Star%20Wars%20Character%20Generator%20and%20GM%20Tools.appref-ms%7C
						Server		: nginx
	Application url			: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26990628/deploy/SWCharGen/Application%20Files/SWCharGenLauncher_1_5_0_0/SWCharGenLauncher.exe.manifest
						Server		: nginx

IDENTITIES
	Application Identity		: SWCharGenLauncher.exe, Version=1.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=0000000000000000, processorArchitecture=x86, type=win32

ERROR SUMMARY
	Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
	* Activation of C:\Users\Daeglan\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\StartMenu\Star Wars Character Generator and GM Tools.appref-ms| resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
		+ Reference in the manifest does not match the identity of the downloaded assembly SWCharGenShell.exe.

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
	No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
	* [8/28/2015 7:08:28 PM] : Activation of C:\Users\Daeglan\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\StartMenu\Star Wars Character Generator and GM Tools.appref-ms| has started.
	* [8/28/2015 7:08:28 PM] : Performing necessary update check as specified by the deployment.
	* [8/28/2015 7:08:29 PM] : Consuming new update.
	* [8/28/2015 7:08:32 PM] : Installation of the application has started.
	* [8/28/2015 7:08:36 PM] : Processing of application manifest has successfully completed.
	* [8/28/2015 7:08:36 PM] : Found compatible runtime version 4.0.30319.
	* [8/28/2015 7:08:36 PM] : Request of trust and detection of platform is complete.

ERROR DETAILS
	Following errors were detected during this operation.
	* [8/28/2015 7:11:33 PM] System.Deployment.Application.InvalidDeploymentException (RefDefValidation)
		- Reference in the manifest does not match the identity of the downloaded assembly SWCharGenShell.exe.
		- Source: System.Deployment
		- Stack trace:
			at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.ProcessDownloadedFile(Object sender, DownloadEventArgs e)
			at System.Deployment.Application.FileDownloader.DownloadModifiedEventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, DownloadEventArgs e)
			at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadSingleFile(DownloadQueueItem next)
			at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadAllFiles()
			at System.Deployment.Application.FileDownloader.Download(SubscriptionState subState)
			at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDependencies(SubscriptionState subState, AssemblyManifest deployManifest, AssemblyManifest appManifest, Uri sourceUriBase, String targetDirectory, String group, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options)
			at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.DownloadApplication(SubscriptionState subState, ActivationDescription actDesc, Int64 transactionId, TempDirectory& downloadTemp)
			at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.InstallApplication(SubscriptionState& subState, ActivationDescription actDesc)
			at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ConsumeUpdatedDeployment(SubscriptionState& subState, ActivationDescription actDesc)
			at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentUpdate(SubscriptionState& subState, String& errorPageUrl)
			at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ProcessOrFollowShortcut(String shortcutFile, String& errorPageUrl, TempFile& deployFile)
			at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
			at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
	No transaction information is available.

I had installed the version from copy.com, which I deleted. That way, I could do a re-install of the web version from DropBox.

And no joy.

I uninstalled and then tried the web install and got what many seem to be getting. Capture.png

Update looks great!

Love the addition of skill and specialization gm grants since I give 2 skills everytime a pc buys a new specialization and I gave every F&D pc a mandatory non force specialization they picked up while I'm hiding so great for that too.

Would love to see gm grants for talents since I have given one or two to players at times. For now been going into data editor and adding talents to the pcs species, but prefer to track I'm grants. Maybe next update we could see talents.

How do I add the rebels fan made sourcebook to my program?

Did a manual install and... Somehow it worked this time. Not sure what I did differently, but it looks good now. I'll look it over better when I'm awake tomorrow.

Lots of work in the data editor and creating custom items.

I uninstalled and then tried the web install and got what many seem to be getting. Capture.png

Yup, same here.

Open the Data Editor and click on the Import button near the top. This will open a file dialog.

Select the SWDataSet-Spark of Rebellion.zip file located within the Imports\Spark of Rebellion\Data Sets\ directory.

Open the Character Editor and click on the Options button near the top. Make sure that the Spark of Rebellion checkbox is checked.

Apparently, there's a bug in Visual Studio and ClickOnce concerning embedded manifests. Since I added a new executable (an internal one for the shortcuts feature), and since the default setting is to embed manifests...

Anyway, I fixed the issue, re-deployed 1.5 to DropBox, did a download, and it worked for me. So try the web install again, it should now work.

Open the Data Editor and click on the Import button near the top. This will open a file dialog.

Select the SWDataSet-Spark of Rebellion.zip file located within the Imports\Spark of Rebellion\Data Sets\ directory.

Open the Character Editor and click on the Options button near the top. Make sure that the Spark of Rebellion checkbox is checked.

If you open the <install dir>\Imports\Spark of Rebellion directory, there's a ReadMe.txt file that tells you how to import everything. As Bystander said, you'll need to first import the data set using the data editor in order to get gear, weapons, species, etc. Then, go into GM Tools and import whatever adversaries and encounters you want.

Okay, I have downloaded the new zip file. Our group keeps our data folder on a drop box drive so we can all access it. We have manually filled in a lot of the descriptions, have characters, NPCs and modified equipment stored. I am don't really know how to install the new version to gain all of the improvements and still keep the stuff we have built. I am terrified that I will blow away a lot of work.

Is there a post somewhere in the hundreds of pages of this thread that explains what I need to do?

A lot of people ask this, and honestly, I can't blame them. I wouldn't want to lose hours and days worth of work spent entering data.

Your data is safe. It's tucked away either in its default location in your user's AppData folder, or wherever you decided to put it. If you downloaded the ZIP file, all you need to do is unzip it anywhere on your hard drive (except your data folder, of course), and run the launcher. All of your data will magically appear.

If you're worried about your data, you can do a backup from the data editor. It'll pack it neatly in a ZIP file for you. If anything ever happens, you can just do a restore.

success on the install for web install on Drop Box. Looks awesome... Looks like I need to get you another beer or 2 :)

Again, an awesome work mate :) Thanks!

Release 1.5.0.0

Woohoo! Thanks a lot! Update went smoothly for me.

Two things:

Firstly, is it possible to add the "symbol and dice key" from the Compact Sheet to the bottom of the first page of the Standard Sheet, too? Maybe as an option, like Vehicles. That would be great for my players who do not get to play the system often enough to become familiar with them, and all sheets we are using thus far have enough space that is now filled with a "Notes" box.

And secondly, the Compact Sheet does not contain weapons for any character I maintain, even when there is lots of free space. Is that intentional?

Edited by Franigo

The new version is awesome, although i actually miss the old logo! Many thanks for the hard work that you have put in to this.

On the next update will you add free talents as GM Grants or is too complicated?

Thanks and again awesome job!

Release 1.5.0.0

Woohoo! Thanks a lot! Update went smoothly for me.

Two things:

Firstly, is it possible to add the "symbol and dice key" from the Compact Sheet to the bottom of the first page of the Standard Sheet, too? Maybe as an option, like Vehicles. That would be great for my players who do not get to play the system often enough to become familiar with them, and all sheets we are using thus far have enough space that is now filled with a "Notes" box.

And secondly, the Compact Sheet does not contain weapons for any character I maintain, even when there is lots of free space. Is that intentional?

Because space is at a premium on the compact sheet, the only weapons that will show up are those that have the "Shown" box checked. It's assumed that those are the weapons that the character uses the most.

Switched over to DropBox for the Web Install, and was able to install the updated version no problem.

One error that I did spot see was that for the Shien Expert, the Defensive Training talent in the Beta got replaced with Side Step in the core rulebook.

Because space is at a premium on the compact sheet, the only weapons that will show up are those that have the "Shown" box checked. It's assumed that those are the weapons that the character uses the most.

Ah, now I get it. Thank you very much!

Likely this has been suggested before. But in case it hasn't.

You have a lot of space for "notes" but no place to actually transcribe notes from the sheets that are used by players to the program. Maybe create a space so that we don't have rewrite all our personal notes down?