Sheffield Regionals - far more info than you could ever need :)

By Speedsta, in UFS Uk Forum

Nagase looks really good on paper and plays okay but has two problems (in my admittedly limited experience).

1. She has real trouble actually finishing people off. Hanging on is easy enough but that doesn't win many games unless I try and go for the exhaustion route which probably won't be that effective.

2. I don't like the Frog costume.

I was taking a look this week and just couldn't find many characters that I really like right now, which is a bit of a shame. There are some solid characters but nothing inspiring. My options thus far are:

1. Void Ryu. I've already built the deck and it works pretty well. It's just incredibly old school and a bit dull. Like Void should be. It does have the plus point of being the only reasonable deck I currently own.

2. Some sort of good based deck (though I don't know which character), just because you have all sorts of cool effects to mess your opponent up. It does have that winning problem though. I don't have Spikes so that won't work so I need something clever instead.

3. Some sort of Death based deck (just because there are loads of cards I really like there). I have exactly the same problem as above though - Killing people is tricky. And my defences aren't even that good.

So it looks like some kind of Good/Death Milling deck for the win then : )

Well, we have a new Nagase player in my area, so I suggested that he store momentum with Nagase and Lord of the Makai so he can play multiple Kuzuryu Reppas as the win condition (possible with a High Plasma Beam and Personal Styles for good measure) :D

Void Ryu seems reasonable. I recently built Death but found that it doesn't have much in the way of anti aggro defence. If you're looking at mill, that leavs you with 5 hand size Bishamon and nothing else :P

So, I'd suggest Nagase or Ryu :)

This is just a reminder to people - as the new sets will not be legal, the new rules regarding keyword abilities will not be in effect. So, Bitter Rivals is merely overpowered instead of being hideously broken :)

- Ross

Nagase is fine, but round here killing people with Kyuzu Reppas takes a while, and it also means running order which isn't that appealing. I also don't have very many of those Lord of the Makai things, which kind of makes momentum based decks automatically struggle against other decks that do have them. I quite like momentum based decks or at least have in the past, but I just really don't like Nagase all that much. I think I built the original deck because I liked the art loads and the Megaslash was awesome. The new one just hasn't inspired me to quite the same level. She's definitely a good character but just not my cup of tea.

Ryu is built and tested so I know it works fine. Not really interesting though.

And I realised Bishamon existed randomly over the weekend, so it looks like he may be the one coming out to play. I can't say I'm planning to be especially serious or competitive at this tournament so that is sounding like a bit of fun. And I have some ideas about the anti aggro defence as well.

In any case I only have tonight to actually make a deck so it will be whatever I manage to throw together in a couple of hours.

Ah ha ha ha! Felix, I will have my (one-sided) revenge!

Doesn't promo Bishamon have the Earth symbol? If he has then that's his anti-aggro defense, at the moment Earth has all of the damage soak you'll ever need :)

He does indeed, and that was the direction I was headed in. Death actually doesn't have any milling cards really other than a couple of character cards, so you are better basing the deck on earth and using a little of the Zangief stuff. The problem was that after getting all the cards together I decided it would be a really boring deck to play, as I would just be sitting there and playing foundations while reducing attacks to 0, and while that's okay I'm not sure I really want to be doing that for a whole tournament.

It hasn't helped that I've been a bit ill this week and so completely unable to come up with a deck that I actually like (I have several ideas that make kind of bits of a deck and my end up just sticking those all together to see what happens).

It's what you get for not playing properly for a while.

Wanna borrow a deck? : )

I've got an aggro-control Alex deck which is reasonably strong and doesn't need much practice to use.

While the offer is appreciated, I'd rather play something of my own. I have a perfectly solid Ryu deck if I feel like some sort of control game, and Ive been trying to write lists at work today. I came up with one that is okay, and I may build Bishamon as well, just because I can play that deck very easily and not have to think to much if I do build it (Every damage reducing foundation I can find and then a few tricks. Possible a card or two to let me actually attack and use BIshamon's enhance!)

In any case I'm still looking forwards to coming along. It's just that building UFS decks is hard these days.

O_o Bishamon has another ability?

A word of warning over something which I spotted about a month ago which my players found really amusing: when playing promo Bishamon you will need to include attacks in your deck. Otherwise all your opponent has to do is pass every form and then you can't win since your deck ends up in your staging area before they mill out happy.gif

Plus, then you can use the enhance : )

Unless your deck is 220 cards!

I'd already worked that one out, That way you can even go first. I do think a few attacks make sense though.

On the other han I did build a Nagase deck last night that seems okay, though it can struggle to finish people off, which is the usual problem I have with her. It's still reasonaby solid though so if I decide Bishamon is too silly which is possible I have another safe option at least.

Philosopher said:

Unless your deck is 220 cards!

Why 220? Why not 219 or 221? happy.gif

Well, this is probably the last time I can post before tomorrow so good luck with the deck building and good luck to everyone tomorrow as well!

- Ross

So I can mulligan, go first and still win. With a 5 hand size and a 220 card deck you'd need the option to mulligan, just to end with a hand worth playing at all.

See everybody tomorrow.

Thanks to Ross and Patriot Games for a fun event today, first time i've managed to play in a while, had to leave before the end so missed out on seeing the top 8 matches, anyone know who won?

Cheers

Chris

The final was Matt Hewitt (chun Li) vs Jason (i cannot remeber surname though he is a newishplayer in sheffield) Sakura

It was spike vs spike deck though matt's ingenious use of darkenss blade on chun li's react to tap them out for the spike to follow next turn is very hard to stop

Matt won 2-0

Standings were

Matt hewitt

Jason

Son Gopul (hanzo KicK loop)

MIcheal ( idont remeber surname agian sorry) Kyoshiro Order control

5-8 no particlualr order

Kevin "the Brit" Beedle (Mignon spike)

Felix ( Nagasee dmg soak collect data)

Jim Freeman ( alex punch only 4 rare cards in deck and they were coming out )

Justin Parker (Songmina Defenda / spinta leap)

Just to say thanks to Ross for running the event, and to everyone that I played. Had a fantastic time!

Kev

Congratulations to Matt on the win! What was the attendance?

Mark

Woo Check it out. 2 Notts players in top 8. Not too bad.

well done matt, how many players did u get in the end ross???

18 I believe, and that was withOUT Ross playing (he didn't want to win his own tournament, big-headed b**stard j/k)

Cascade said:

18 I believe, and that was withOUT Ross playing (he didn't want to win his own tournament, big-headed b**stard j/k)

It was 18 people (I lost 10 UFS players to Yu Gi Oh Nationals so I was really happy to still get 18), and what I meant was that "I'd feel bad if I did win", not "if I enter I will win".....

It's actually the Not-Yu Gi Oh Not-Nationals, Ross. Ask Jim to explain why if you want a laugh.

18 is still a very respectable turnout - more prize support for everyone, and things are nice and manageable logistaclly. Well done, dude.

Mark