Rule summery write up for new players.

By Davrix, in Game Masters

Ok what I have here at the bottom of the post and for your downloading pleasure, is a small write up I am using for my game tonight. I have two new players coming, that have no idea what the system is or how the narration dice work.

Keep in mind this is a rough first draft that I've punched out in little over an hour and it has a very small amount of editing done.

That being said the goal is to not give them everything all at once but enough of a summery and the basic tools of the system so they can make a character and understand the general gist of how the system is going to work. So instead of asking what does this button do? Question every 20 seconds, they are asking me why does this button do that? Question as they come up.

I still need to include the space battle section but we wont be getting into any space combat tonight in the story so I left that part out for now.

If anyone wants to help edit or suggestion what I can trim or add to the document feel free I'm going to be working on this for the next week or two so when someone askes me what is this new system you keep blabbing on about I can hand them something to read in under 10 pages.

Star Wars Edge of The Empire Notes.rtf

This is a great set of notes!

I'm going to post an updated version soon with some better formatting and additional notes. The new player I handed it to was able to understand the basics of everything and I was able to walk them through a new character creation in about 45 minutes. Most of that time really was talking backstory ideas with them and the rest of the table. Really it took all over 10 minutes to fill out the character sheet. The party had a lot of fun bouncing stories idea’s off things. The important part was I didn’t have to spend time explaining what the base stats were or how to make the character. I was answering questions on how to build dice pools and how to use skills in the narrative style of the system.

She is playing a female Chiss (I'm using the extended race PDF) She was in military intelligence for a while until a mission caused her to have a mental break down. She is now wandering the outer rim feeling displaced from what she knew but still yearns for the feeling of manipulation and command.

So we started her off in the colonist career with the polotion tree. She is eyeing the assignation tree later with the tech slicer tree to fallow. She was a little overwhelmed with the choices but the more she looked the more she had ideas on how to help fill out her backstory more as she mapped out her starting choices.

Good cheat sheet. Bravo. Your list of base stats is missing one, though.

One thing I liked (perhaps best) about the Beggar's Box was that the character folios did an excellent job of actually teaching the game.

Thanks a lot. This will certainly help. Taking my playtest game and opening it up to my other players who only know a single system.

Thanks, good work