Chapter X: Adversaries

By Donovan Morningfire, in Proofreading Changes

Only spotted on oddity so far.

Page 224 : Jedi-in-Hiding, under skills he has Melee 4. Shouldn't this be Ligthsaber 4 instead, since Melee can't be used for lightsabers?

Edited by Donovan Morningfire

Page 224 , Jedi-in-Hiding, under skills he has Melee 4. Shouldn't this be Ligthsaber 4 instead, since Melee can't be used for lightsabers?

Fixed that for ya :P

It's always a good idea to give page numbers, so the devs can easily find what you're referring to ^_^

-EF

Page 224 , Jedi-in-Hiding, under skills he has Melee 4. Shouldn't this be Ligthsaber 4 instead, since Melee can't be used for lightsabers?

Fixed that for ya :P

It's always a good idea to give page numbers, so the devs can easily find what you're referring to ^_^

-EF

Don't change other peoples posts and claim to have "fixed them" that's got to be the most annoying forum habit EVER, simply suggesting he include a page number would suffice.

Now that I got that out of my system

I noticed the same thing, it says he's a Jedi, and he has a lightsaber, so it would stand to reason he should have the skill.

However that's not the only thing wrong with that entry...like the forsaken Jedi in the EoTE book his force powers are all wrong. They all list only one force point powering the full effect when it clearly states in the power descriptions that each upgrade (number of target, range, etc.) takes an additional point to activate.

It's already done and gone in the EoTE book but it should be fixed in AoR before the final.

T

However that's not the only thing wrong with that entry...like the forsaken Jedi in the EoTE book his force powers are all wrong. They all list only one force point powering the full effect when it clearly states in the power descriptions that each upgrade (number of target, range, etc.) takes an additional point to activate.

It's already done and gone in the EoTE book but it should be fixed in AoR before the final.

As far as the Force Power entry goes, that's a deliberate design choice on the design team's part, and was something i specifically requested to be asked of Jay and Sam during their appearance on the Order 66 podcast's Q&A episodes. It's something done to give the GM one less thing to keep track off during a combat encounter. The players are assumed to have the bandwidth to track all the fiddly bits pertaining to their character, but the GM often has multiple NPCs to track as well as an adventure plot to keep in mind.

It's always a good idea to give page numbers, so the devs can easily find what you're referring to.

It'd also be a lot politer to simply send a PM rather than automatically assume you know better than the original poster and that their post needs "fixing." Frankly, khaine1969 was right about that being a jackass thing to do.

As far as the Force Power entry goes, that's a deliberate design choice on the design team's part, and was something i specifically requested to be asked of Jay and Sam during their appearance on the Order 66 podcast's Q&A episodes. It's something done to give the GM one less thing to keep track off during a combat encounter. The players are assumed to have the bandwidth to track all the fiddly bits pertaining to their character, but the GM often has multiple NPCs to track as well as an adventure plot to keep in mind.

That's good to know, and kind of what I was going to do with the forsaken Jedi defend, and deflect listed under his lightsaber(which no longer has those powers). I just chock them up to his training and not a function of the weapon.

T

That's good to know, and kind of what I was going to do with the forsaken Jedi defend, and deflect listed under his lightsaber(which no longer has those powers). I just chock them up to his training and not a function of the weapon.

I asked about that too, and that was largely the response, that the Forsaken Jedi has "behind the screen" talents that aren't listed factored into his stats. Though I did notice the Jedi-in-Hiding doesn't have any kind of boost to his Melee and/or Ranged Defense.

It's possible that they listed the skill deliberately as Melee for the purpose of simplicity. I could see a developer writing this stat block up and thinking to himself (as developers are wont to do). "Well this adversary should really use the lightsaber skill, but we haven't officially included such a skill. We only suggested it in a sidebar. I better just call it Melee for now."

Of course this doesn't hold to forward compatiblity, so I could be mistaken.

It's possible that they listed the skill deliberately as Melee for the purpose of simplicity. I could see a developer writing this stat block up and thinking to himself (as developers are wont to do). "Well this adversary should really use the lightsaber skill, but we haven't officially included such a skill. We only suggested it in a sidebar. I better just call it Melee for now."

Of course this doesn't hold to forward compatiblity, so I could be mistaken.

One problem. Edge of the Empire core rulebook, page 412, specifically the Forsaken Jedi. Listed amongst his skills is Lightsaber 4 , so there's already a precedent for having the skill available for NPCs, just not for the PCs. There's also the issue that the lightsaber on page 121 of the AoR Beta specifically cites that it doesn't use the Melee skill for attack rolls. One of these is in error, and seeing as how EotE has the exact same text for its entry for the lightsaber as a weapon, that leads me to conclude that the Jedi-in-Hiding is in error.

As for the workings of the skill itself, all that the GM really needs to know is that it exists and functions like Melee or Brawl as a combat skill; assemble dice pool (using Characteristic of choice as per page 121), and then determine the results based upon the symbols rolled.

One problem. Edge of the Empire core rulebook, page 412, specifically the Forsaken Jedi. Listed amongst his skills is Lightsaber 4 , so there's already a precedent for having the skill available for NPCs, just not for the PCs. There's also the issue that the lightsaber on page 121 of the AoR Beta specifically cites that it doesn't use the Melee skill for attack rolls. One of these is in error, and seeing as how EotE has the exact same text for its entry for the lightsaber as a weapon, that leads me to conclude that the Jedi-in-Hiding is in error.

Good call. I completely forgot about the Forsaken Jedi already have the Lightsaber skill. Thank you for reminding me.

It could potentially still be deliberate, but I'm no longer sure.

It feels erroneous when one considers that the Forsaken Jedi and presumably Jedi-in-Hiding are both survivors of the Purge, although from the lack of a Lightsaber skill for PCs I infer that such a player character (a survivor from the days of Episode III, " a young Padawan or even a minor Jedi who managed to flee the Empire and hide ", as opposed to " a child, hidden by friends or family ") somehow never got as far as lightsaber training.

It feels erroneous when one considers that the Forsaken Jedi and presumably Jedi-in-Hiding are both survivors of the Purge, although from the lack of a Lightsaber skill for PCs I infer that such a player character (a survivor from the days of Episode III, " a young Padawan or even a minor Jedi who managed to flee the Empire and hide ", as opposed to " a child, hidden by friends or family ") somehow never got as far as lightsaber training.

Well, it could be the lack of an official skill that the PCs can buy is a means right now to curb the inherent power of the lightsaber, as it's by far the most potent melee weapon in the game (almost assured 11 damage if you hit thanks to Breach 1, with only a min-maxed tank possibly having a Soak Value greater than 10). If a PC is stuck using just Ability dice (maybe with a singe Proficiency if they spent a Destiny Point, two if they've got the attack upgrade from Sense going), that's going to cut down the chances of success on the PC's part, especially against foes with one or more ranks of Adversary.

As for why PCs with a "trained by the Jedi" background don't have it, perhaps the fact that it's been close to two decades means they've simply gotten so rusty from lack of practice that they're not as good as they might have once been. The book does suggest that the GM can create such a skill for their games if they so choose, so it's not like it's totally impossible for such a PC to not have even a single rank in the skill; it'd just be expensive for them as it's a non-career skill.

Page 218: The information and stats for the TIE Pilot (minion) don't match the stats for the TIE Pilot Minion on page 239 in the adventure. Not sure if this is intentional, but it seems odd that they don't match.

Edited by Ineti

Perhaps with the enhance and sense powers there will not be a lightsabre skill. Its a dangerous weapon that generally only a force user can use.

We alway know that there isn't a Lightsaber skill for PCs, the oddity is a Forsaken Jedi having it while a Jedi-in-hiding doesn't.

Not too odd as it were. A Jedi in hiding is trying to keep a low profile and lightsabers, generally stand out so they probably won't use it. Also, they may be out of practice since they are keeping the low profile and practicing with a glowing sword could bring unwanted attention.

A forsaken jedi has probably given up on the Jedi order and has no compunctions about using a lightsaber let alone keeping a low profile.

Thing is that we're talking about the skill, not the weapon itself... as for the Forsaken Jedi, they're outright stated to have been deemed not worth bothering to hunt down.

Pg 214: Imperial Army Officer

"may perform a maneuver to direction one" should be direct, not direction (matching the previous sentence).

Pg 215: Imperial Vehicle Corps

Equipment lists both a Blast Vest (+1 soak) and a Trooper Uniform and Helmet (+1 soak). Stat line does not combine these bonuses. The Navy trooper right above has a "blast vest and helmet (+1 soak)" which should be replicated on this entry as well if that was the intention.

p.212

Starfighter Pilot [Minion] :

Abnormally high Wound Threshold (12) for a Minion. Should probably be 5.

p.216

Stormtrooper Specialty Corps: Dark Trooper [ Nemesis ] :

Should either be downgraded to [ Rival ] or be given a Strain Threshold.

p.221

Assassin Droid [Nemesis]:

Melee/Ranged Defense : [ 0 | 1 ] This one might not be an error but I find it odd that it has 1 Ranged Defense and no Melee Defense.

p.224

Dianoga [ Minion ] :

Should be Dianoga [ Rival ] . (As per high wound threshold, no strain threshold, no group only skills)

Edited by Aazlain

p. 211

Incom Engineer

Has "Holdout Blaster Pistol", should just be "Holdout Blaster" to be consistent with the rest of the entries/book.

p. 213

COMPNOR Agent

Missing a rank for Knowledge (Galactic Civil War)

p.213

Imperial Advisor

Lists "Negotiate" not "Negotiation"

p.214

Imperial Moff

Supreme Inspiring Rhetoric description is has a "< or =" sign where a Success symbol should be (I think)

P.214

Imperial Navy Trooper

Same stat line as "Imperial Naval Trooper" from EotE, but name is different

P.215

Imperial Intelligence Agent

Name conflict with EotE entry. EotE entry is Rival level. Perhaps this should be Senior Agent? Special Agent? Operative?

p.218
TIE Pilot and TIE Ace
Should have Vacuum Sealed flight suits, like the Military Starfighter Pilot in EotE gets, as the TIE cockpit is not pressurized.

p.220
Shadowport Mechanic
Has the skill "Underworld" should be "Knowledge (Underworld)"

p.223

Physician

Has their Talents listed under Abilities.

Edited by DeckOfManyThings

Page 212: Starflighter Ace should probably have at least one talent to justify the "ace" label beyond just an extra rank or two of Pilot over a minion. Suggest adding Skilled Jockey to their stats.

Page 218: TIE Ace should probably have at least one talent to justify the "ace" label beyond just an extra rank or two of Pilot over a minion. Suggest adding Skilled Jockey to their stats.

Page 224: The Jedi-in-Hiding has a Force Rating 3 but none of the stats really seem to jibe with a Force Sensitive character having enough experience to afford the talent tree progression to get there. Unless we assume there's a way to get a higher Force Rating without buying through a specialization. Suggest changing this NPC's Force Rating to 2.

Also, in the same entry, the listing for Uncanny Reactions 2 should allow the character to add two boost dice rather than the one blue box listed. This should either be listed as Uncanny Reactions 1; or a second blue box needs to be added to the parenthetical statement.

p.216

Stormtrooper Specialty Corps: Dark Trooper [ Nemesis ] :

Should either be downgraded to [ Rival ] or be given a Strain Threshold.

Edited by Gigerstreak

Pg. 217

Stormtrooper Specialty Corps: Storm Spacetrooper

Unde talents, the description of the knockdown talent has the +/- symbol where the Triumph symbol should be.

Pg. 208 The explanation was left off on how a group of minions have skills. It's actually disconcerting because the rest of the paragraph was left alone like someone deliberately left the part about hit points but decided we need to know how to use Group Skills.