Will there be future for Battles of Westeros?

By player1627252, in Battles of Westeros

I got the core set for my birthday this year (januari) and have bought Baratheon and WotW expansion(the rest will be also bought in time).

Me and my girlfriend were wondering if there will be more expansions (allies, army expansions and reinforcements) now that Battlelore has got a second edition?

I really hope so.

My girlfriend cant wait until she can play with the Targaryan dragons.

And I can only dream of ordering the knights of the Vale.

Personally, I think that Fantasy Flight Games is waiting for George R.R. Martin to finish his next book. Because it is difficult to make a Targaryan army if you don't know how it would look like if it ever reaches Westeros.

What do you think?

And if there are any people from FFG, we always like to hear your side of the story as wel (because i don't think you spoil stuff if you ask your loyal fans to remain loyal to the game :P )

There are many possibilities to expand the game even with Martin's new book still to come: they could go with a Greyjoy expansion, or Tyrell, or Wildlings or more. I hoped something would have been announced at the GenCon, but nothing happened. Let's hope to have good news soon!

And I'm not so sure BattleLore 2nd edition could be a good thing for Battles of Westeros: it could also mean they want to go on with the game in a setting whose IP is owned by FFG instead of going on with licenses bought from GRRM (licensing two almost identical games, both sharing a fantasy setting, seems quite an odd marketing choice). I really hope to be wrong, and to see some big box announced soon, though.

I prey they haven't forgotten about BOW, but given the way FFG handles its products I'm worried; they seem to stop supporting them pretty quickly.

Really hope that they donĀ“t end the game...

But it would not be the first time...

I'm "officially" worried, I was really looking forward to the next expansion...new House, new color, some cool units, New Skirmish cards...etc., etc., etc.

Yeah...I think BL2e is bad news for BoW, + Rob Kouba is not around any more...more bad news.

Why are you sayin' Rob is not around anymore? He's listed under the authors for BattleLore 2nd Edition...

As for being worried... in the upcoming section of this very site, it's stated that the Premium Banners Pack is to be reprinted. If they were intentioned in dropping the line, I believe there won't be a reprint of this... maybe I'm wrong, but still, as long as I see the game filed in FFG catalogue, I do have hope

I'm actually thinking about making my own little campagne book with scenario's, mayby uploading them so other BOW players can enjoy it as wel.

again: thinking about doing it,

if i do it i will probably take images from the pdfs and photoshop them into a battlefield.

also i will make more ships not just baratheon (photoshop lannister/Stark crest over the ship in Baratheon pdf and print 5-10 of each faction)

and make at least 1 with blackwaterbay (probably next to a normal map, so 2 maps next to eachother.

and also make scenario's where you need at least 2 expansions + main game

i hope this will keep it alive

what do you people think?

I'm slowly buying into this game and would love to see more Houses available. Let's hope for some news, even bad ones would be OK I guess since we would know that what's going on. This lack of information on official forums regarding few games is confusing me, it's not exactly what loyal fans would like to see from such highly respected company.

House Greyjoy with raiding boats and nasty Infantrymen with some new, cool, "Vicious" Keywords (hint, hint) would be very exciting!

Edited by SFRR

Why are you sayin' Rob is not around anymore? He's listed under the authors for BattleLore 2nd Edition...

As for being worried... in the upcoming section of this very site, it's stated that the Premium Banners Pack is to be reprinted. If they were intentioned in dropping the line, I believe there won't be a reprint of this... maybe I'm wrong, but still, as long as I see the game filed in FFG catalogue, I do have hope

I'm glad to hear Rob is still around, he is very supportive of his games. I am disappointed in BL2e though, in that FFG decided to continue the use of the L/C/R card ordering mechanic...terrible(!)...that is the very thing that made me finally completely dispossess myself of all my C&C:A and C&C:N games...got tired of trying to make myself "like" a game that I had come to hate.

We're all hoping, but I think they're done. I own all the expansions and I would pay double for more! What they really need is an online game so we (the few, the proud, the westeros fans!) could play each other virtually.

Does this exist?

What they really need is an online game so we (the few, the proud, the westeros fans!) could play each other virtually.

Does this exist?

I am just now going to be getting into BoW and almost all the games I play will be using Vassal . Would love it if FFG were to put up a proprietary online version, but the Vassal module looks playable, certainly. I should have the complete (to date) BoW game & expansions sometime next week. Feel free to email me if interested in online play using Vassal - t_rewoldt @ hotmail.com

Well, FFG did reprint the core set of BoW, so I will take that as good news. There is so much more that can still be done with this game, and it is oh so goooodd!!

I'm thinking the fact that Battles of Westeros was not even mentioned in the announcement for Days of Ice and Fire 2014 cannot be a good sign.

@ Murnaz: That was my first thought as well.

I'm thinking the fact that Battles of Westeros was not even mentioned in the announcement for Days of Ice and Fire 2014 cannot be a good sign.

Well that just sucks...really too bad...I think this is the best tactical level wargame to come out in a very long time. Rob Kouba elegantly devised a beautiful set of tactical game mechanics: Leader ZoC and the Order tokens for units outside of Leader ZoC + you only get to use each unit once per game round (unless you use the Rally function, which takes some thought and planning); very, very well done by FFG and Mr Kouba.

Still waiting for Keepers of the Wall expansion. Battles of Westeros without Jon Snow, cmon... it has to happen!

Still waiting for Keepers of the Wall expansion. Battles of Westeros without Jon Snow, cmon... it has to happen!

I hadn't thought of that one!...you are soooooo right...bring the "Keepers of the Wall" expansion, and the "Ironborn" expansion...and...and...and...{ you get the picture ;-) }

Agreed. At least Greyjoy, Targaryen, Nightswatch and Tyrell to complete the picture. If they have to pass on smaller Houses... ok, but please at least finish the Great Houses

Greyjoy will be next, they've taken part in enough high profile battles for the fans of the books to relate.

Their forces haven't really changed since balons rebellion with gives an additional source of battles against stark / bara.

They are the first of the great houses to get to dany and her dragons..which is important for introducing targ later on.

The next book promises more battles, starting with greyjoy/targ in astapor and stannis vs. Bolton alliance. Martell are finally on the move and Tyrell and greyjoy finally getting some more action. The other targ army is also attacking.

When the next book arrives we'll start getting more expansions and hopefully some winter terrain.

They don't need to wait for the next book. They can release a Wildlings vs Night's Watch now with a double sided winter board/Wall with Castle Black and gate tiles. Then give The Others as an expansion to it when "Winds of Winter" novel finally comes out.

I wonder if this game is making any money for FFG, if not it's pretty understandable why they've halted support. And of course the game doesn't have the title "Game of Thrones" on it to appeal to the casual gamers/tv viewers. They really need to put on their boxes "Based on GRRM's series ASOIAF including 'A Game of Thrones'". That's what I would do if I'm marketing, using full titles not acronyms. How many casual fans from the novel and tv know that the continent/country is named Westeros?

@Sacrilege83

I don't think adding "Game of Thrones" somewhere on the box will add much appeal to the casual gamer. It may fool some poor souls, but BoW is not in any means casual and this is obvious from the moment you open the box.

Many hours are needed just for preparing to play - assembling, reading and understanding the rules, setting the battlefield. The game itself is not exactly short and the experience is closer to a quiet chess game, than to the usual understanding of fun. Its 2-player nature is also deterent to some gamers.

Of course, (almost) the exact same things are amongst the positives of the game and the factors that made me love BoW, but I will not really recommend it to anyone just wishing to spend some fun, light hours. BoW is more than a demanding game and requires full attention, nice partner and a long, rainy afternoon...

The hardcore wargaming crew is the target that must be pursued, at least from my point of view, but maybe the moment for that is missed. Which is a shame, since this game is my definition of great boardgaming experience.

Edited by Ordo Malleus

I just got the game and really hope they're not killing it. Does FFG not comment on these types of things on the forums? Sorry for the ignorance but I'm new to these types of games.

Anyway, i'm curious to see what vassal is all about. PM if anyone is up for a game....

FFG never comments on their fora unless it's something incredibly important (e.g., I've seen this happening twice in the boardgame fora in the last 7 years), so I won't be holding my breath expecting anything to be said here. They usually give official communications only when there's something ready to enter production, so... but I do hope something sooner or later will be released.

Sure thing is that Robert Kouba is not working for FFG since May 2013 (stated on his LinkedIn page), so maybe this could be problematic for the game? Dunno. It's true it's a long time since Baratheon, but it's also true they reprinted the Premium Banners, and if the game were near the end, then maybe they wouldn't have reprinted some pure plastic expansion.

Dunno, really. I keep my fingers crossed and look at the coming GenCon with hope

I also recently just found this game and got all of the expansions already. Hoping they keep it going with more expansions!