Card sleeve/protection suggestions?

By Aeaea, in Arkham Horror League

My cards are seeing a lot of play in the League lately and it would be rather expensive to replace them if they get worn. I'm wondering what other folks are using to sleeve/protect their cards (if anything)?

It looks like the yu-gi-oh card sleeves are a fairly close fit (but not perfect) and turning the small cards sideways work OK in trimmed MtG sleeves. For those of you who have done this, do you have any recomendations for decent sleeve brands and/or cheap on-line sites for purchasing them? Thanks!

that sounds like a lot of sleeves, and the card stacks are big enough as it is. Maybe scanning a sheet of them onto the thickest paper you can print onto and cutting them out might be another idea and using them instead.

I've sleeved all my big cards with these (slightly bigger than the cards, but even I'm not that much of a perfectionist):

www.funagain.com/control/product/~product_id=017604

Small cards probably should get sleeved, but without them, they fit in the the original inserts, so I just keep them unsleeved.

I suggest the generic clear plastic sleeves that you should be able to find in any gaming/hobby shop. They are cheap, don't cover the back of the cards, and fit anything the size of a regular playing card.

I used the same strategy Aeaea seems to be a good one, using Yu-gi-oh card protectors: coloured one and transparent. Green for Mythos Card, black for OW Encounters, transparent for Arkham encounters and all the small cards. In the case of small cards, I just trimmered the exceeding part of the protector. Everything's working fine since then. The only unprotected thing is the main board, and in fact is the only thing with signs of the eons passed playing.

My problem are the monsters markers: they are too thick to protect them, and with usage they are aging...

If only FFG would produce card sleeves that fit their smaller cards. Our small BSG cards are just on the edge of wearing out. For Arkham, we haven't run into that problem yet, but might soon.

Hi folks,

I have been perusing the boards and came across this discussion. While I don't have any thing to add regarding protecting the cards as yet, (I am working on a neat design for a 'combined travel storage box/ in-game deck holder thing)' I do have a pretty good solution for protecting the boards.

I use a pair of A1 Portfolio sleeves, those clear polythene 'pockets' we artists use. The main board fits in one pocket a treat with only a couple of inches alongside one edge as surplus. As there is an A1 sized sheet of black sugar paper beneath the board this does not look unsightly.

The second sleeve houses the two expansion boards, with room for a third 'half size' expansion board, supported in the same way.

My boards actually have three sheets of 'Bristol Board' (that thick cardboard used in mounting prints into picture frames)acting to support the whole thing from folding and sagging and the clear plastic allows one to just wipe off any 'ectoplasmic' or 'non-euclidean excretions' easily. As well as the more mundane coffee spills and pools of tears.

With the above strengthening, my boards are usually stored upright along the longest edge without any weakening of the board's joints.

I hope the Innsmouth board is the same size as the base game board as I have one pocket left. I do not know why I havent tried the Galactica board in one yet? I will try that later.

Anyway, hope this helps or is of use and they only cost around £1.60 each, I buy mine from Fred Aldous art supplies in Manchester, but most good stationers stock them.

All the best, happy hunting and see you in Innsmouth,