Stan's SW:EofE Combat Tracker

By stanshinn, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

I whipped up a *free Combat Tracker* .

combat-tracker1.jpg

To create your own Combat Tracker, download my PDF below and print it (ideally double sided) and laminate it (Home Depot lets you upload a PDF and print it double sided and laminated; I forget the cost but I think it runs something like $3-$4).

To write on it, use a wet erase marker. I find the Vis-a-vis markers work better for this than Staedtler markers since Vis-a-vis is a bit more fine-tipped. Here's how it works in play:

• *Step one:* Everyone rolls initiative. Track the results in the top two tables. Notes below the table explain when to roll Cool vs. Vigilance, and how to break ties.
  • *Step two:* List the order of player and GM slots in the middle table.
  • *Step three: * Write down the players and NPCs in the bottom table.

I like to delegate the above three 'initiative setup' steps to a player while I think about combat tactics and look over the NPC stats. Then I take the combat tracker back from the player and use it to run the combat.

With each turn, I check off a) the middle table to show a GM or player slot has been used, and b) mark which character has just gone. So for one round, you'll use the column in the middle table and bottom table (they line up nicely).

If a character takes wounds or strain, there is a section next to the player name to track this.

The picture I attached shows an example combat at the top of the third round.

One other thing I sometimes do with these sorts of initiative charts -- if I'm usually theater of the mind combat, I'll put initials of the PC next to the NPC if they are engaged in melee. This way I can track who is engaged with who, which is the main thing I usually care about in a combat situation. For this reason, I have a house rule that every PC has a different first letter in their name.

Enjoy! Let me know your feedback and if there are any improvements you would suggest. I hope to create other resources for SW:EotE in the future so I appreciate any ideas you have!

Link to the Combat Tracker: http://goo.gl/1sy2Pg

Screenshot of the Combat Tracker in action: http://goo.gl/5go8Xa

You can also find it on my blog -- follow me on G+ or my blog to track this and future Star Wars freebies! :)

http://swshinn.com/star-wars-edge-of-the-empire/a-stan-freebie-star-wars-eote-combat-tracker/

I love it. Only, my group is pretty large so this can only accommodate 4 enemy slots. I made my own, much simpler, chart. I like your laminate idea though. It should be done.

Wow, fantastic. Currently I'm using index cards, one for each element in the fight. Def gonna give this a try

very good work, very clean. As someone who likes staying organized, definitely going to put this to use

Brilliant idea. Making mine now!

This is really well done. Good job.

If it was prossible I would like to see a place to make a note of boost and setback for the PC/NPCs next roll. keeping up with status effects, bonuses, and penalties has always been my bane when GMing.

If it was prossible I would like to see a place to make a note of boost and setback for the PC/NPCs next roll. keeping up with status effects, bonuses, and penalties has always been my bane when GMing.

I would suggest making a standard for yourself in markings on the sheet. For me I am intending to under the box for a setback and a + next to it for a boost die. Circle the box if in cover. An arrow through the box if they miss their turn. Or maybe get a different color marker. There are lots of variations you can do like that...

Very nice, thanks for this!

I would suggest making a standard for yourself in markings on the sheet. For me I am intending to under the box for a setback and a + next to it for a boost die. Circle the box if in cover. An arrow through the box if they miss their turn. Or maybe get a different color marker. There are lots of variations you can do like that...

Yeha, or instead of check marking the "Round" box, you could write a B or S in the box for Boost or Setback, or something similar.

Yeha, or instead of check marking the "Round" box, you could write a B or S in the box for Boost or Setback, or something similar.

I really like this idea.

Thanks.

Thank you!

I opened it up and printed it. But it didin't come out laminated like yours. What am I doing wrong? Could you just go ahead and send me a laminated one? That might just be the easier way to handle it.

Thanks.

I opened it up and printed it. But it didin't come out laminated like yours. What am I doing wrong? Could you just go ahead and send me a laminated one? That might just be the easier way to handle it.

Thanks.

Me too! Me too!

Thank you. Looks great. Hope to try it soon.

Well done!!! Printed and ready to get laminated tomorrow morning! Much thanks! :)

Now that I'm home and beyond the reach of Work's Net Nanny, that's a pretty sweet sheet. I'm totally laminating one of those!

Dear FFG,

Please include one of these the next time you release a GM's kit. I would pay extra for if to have some nice artwork in the background. And consider hiring Stan if you do this.

Thank you,

Gm Pharsan

I'll give that some thought. Thanks for calling that out. Real estate on the page is the issue right now, but something I'll be considering :)

Hey folks, about how many rounds does combat last do you think? I put something like ten columns for ten rounds, but not sure if that's overkill or not enough. Looking for someplace on the page to trim content, while still leaving the boxes large enough to write on with a wet or dry erase marker.

Oh, tip from a Jared Rascher on Google+ who is using this -- instead of laminating it, just insert it into a sheet protector. Cheap, easy solution, and you can store several copies of it in a ring binder. I'm thinking of not erasing each sheet in combat, but having several like this in a ring binder. I'll move to the next sheet for the next combat, and erase the markings between sessions.

Original link here: https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/108249933441822707775

IMG_0474.JPG

I am considering having some bubbles or some small area near checkbox to track status for a round. Here's what I'm thinking about. Are these the most common statuses in your game? Any you would remove or add?

Boost -- maybe a (B+) bubble you could circle
Setback -- maybe a (S-) bubble you could circle
Cover -- maybe a (CV) or (C+) bubble you could circle
Missing Round -- maybe a (MR) bubble you could circle
Too cryptic though? Tracking 4 statuses would be perfect because I could have a bubble in each corner of the current checkmark boxes for each player's turn.

I am considering having some bubbles or some small area near checkbox to track status for a round. Here's what I'm thinking about. Are these the most common statuses in your game? Any you would remove or add?

Boost -- maybe a (B+) bubble you could circle
Setback -- maybe a (S-) bubble you could circle
Cover -- maybe a (CV) or (C+) bubble you could circle
Missing Round -- maybe a (MR) bubble you could circle
Too cryptic though? Tracking 4 statuses would be perfect because I could have a bubble in each corner of the current checkmark boxes for each player's turn.

I noticed in the bottom table where you list all characters, you have two lines for each character. Maybe on the second line, have those statuses you listed as bubbles to mark. What is Missing Round? Myabe add Inc for Incapacitated? Which would be either you've reached strain/trheshold, or otherwise indisposed for that round.