Specializations occur in multiple careers

By Doc, the Weasel, in General Discussion

So a buddy is at GenCon and got the book. After sharing the new careers, we noticed that there was a Mechanic and Slicer spec in there too (attached to different, but appropriate careers). After comparing the trees, they are the same.

I think that's a great idea. This way, they a) don't have to come up with different trees for the same thing, and b) can allow multiple paths to specs.

So is the pilot under the ace career the same pilot that is under the smuggler? Or is the specialization Ace Pilot?

Also, any mass combat rules included?

I've only confirmed Slicer and Mechanic, but I wouldn't be surprised if Pilot was as well.

I'll ask about Mass Combat.

Looks like no on the mass combat (based on the table of contents).

So a buddy is at GenCon and got the book. After sharing the new careers, we noticed that there was a Mechanic and Slicer spec in there too (attached to different, but appropriate careers). After comparing the trees, they are the same.

I think that's a great idea. This way, they a) don't have to come up with different trees for the same thing, and b) can allow multiple paths to specs.

Looks like no on the mass combat (based on the table of contents).

Thanks.

Ace is the career, Pilot is one of the three specs (with Driver and Gunner being the other two.) I'm guessing Driver is going to be a repeat in the Explorer supplement, too. These repeat specs basically just mean that there are more options for getting these specializations for cheaper. So both an Ace AND an Explorer can get Driver for career cost. Both Spy AND Technician can get Slicer, etc.

Ace is the career, Pilot is one of the three specs (with Driver and Gunner being the other two.) I'm guessing Driver is going to be a repeat in the Explorer supplement, too. These repeat specs basically just mean that there are more options for getting these specializations for cheaper. So both an Ace AND an Explorer can get Driver for career cost. Both Spy AND Technician can get Slicer, etc.

I think that's a solid design choice, too. +1 for FFG.

Yeah, the Pilot, Scout, Slicer, Mechanic specs in AoR are the same as EotE. Makes sense; why reinvent the wheel if youndon't have to.

Something I'm curious about: Can you buy the same specialization twice? Let's say you have an EotE smuggler with the pilot spec. Could you also buy the spec from AoR? You might be wondering why you'd want to but the answer is simple: ranked talents.

Something I'm curious about: Can you buy the same specialization twice? Let's say you have an EotE smuggler with the pilot spec. Could you also buy the spec from AoR? You might be wondering why you'd want to but the answer is simple: ranked talents.

I would suggest not. I suspect that is one of the reasons the Specializations are named the same and are identical.

I would suggest not. I suspect that is one of the reasons the Specializations are named the same and are identical.

I agree. There is no XP cost to purchase an existing spec, only new specs. If you're a pilot, you're a pilot. You can buy into a spec you don't have, but not one you already have.

-EF

This does bring up the issue of PCs realising they could have bought their spec in a different career at character gen, which might make players try to cajole the Gm to allow them to swap careers.

I would totally want my char to rather be an Ace Pilot instead of an Smuggler Pilot :ph34r:

I would totally want my char to rather be an Ace Pilot instead of an Smuggler Pilot :ph34r:

So all pilot-y skills and none of the smuggler skills? Keep in mind you still get the skills from the career as well.

Yeah I rather have those skills, most likely because I don't know what the Ace career give.

I kinda don't want the smuggler skills, mostly for two reasons though. The main scoundrel outshines me on all talk-skills and the other reason is that then maybe my GM will start listening that I'm interested in doing some space-flying, space-fighting, vehicle-moving and vehicle-battling and get some use of my main skills and talents. ( Well yes, I have talked with my GM about this, about every second day and he nods and nods but nothing happens. He's new but it's still not much of an excuse. I GM'd an really epic space battle as a stand in GM to show him what might be done, and even got him through all the rules the other day. But still no.) So I want another flag to put up he's rear saying "vehicle and spacecraft things please!".

(Yes this is a bit of ranting about my frustration )

Edited by Poseur

This increases my confidence that they are keeping the games seamlessly compatible.

Yep. Big bonus points for that. I don't think anyone has said that Rebels are built on more points than Fringers either, which is a good thing.

Yeah I rather have those skills, most likely because I don't know what the Ace career give.

I kinda don't want the smuggler skills, mostly for two reasons though. The main scoundrel outshines me on all talk-skills and the other reason is that then maybe my GM will start listening that I'm interested in doing some space-flying, space-fighting, vehicle-moving and vehicle-battling and get some use of my main skills and talents. ( Well yes, I have talked with my GM about this, about every second day and he nods and nods but nothing happens. He's new but it's still not much of an excuse. I GM'd an really epic space battle as a stand in GM to show him what might be done, and even got him through all the rules the other day. But still no.) So I want another flag to put up he's rear saying "vehicle and spacecraft things please!".

(Yes this is a bit of ranting about my frustration )

I am sorry to hear that. I guess it all boils down to what the other players desire as well. Do they also want big space battles with star fighters and capitol ships or do they want sly and sneaky heists?

It sounds like you are more in the mood for an AoR game in full technicolor than the noir experience of EotE.

Of course does it boil down to what all the players around the table wants, but as I said the GM is new to both this game and GMing. All of the players are more into spacebattles the personal battles atleast, and all of the players have put up flags for awesome space-stunts and battles.

I guess Im more in the mood for AoR full technocolor :)

But soon comes winter and then it's vampire or a swedish noir game called Noir that my mood will swing towards.

Of course does it boil down to what all the players around the table wants, but as I said the GM is new to both this game and GMing. All of the players are more into spacebattles the personal battles atleast, and all of the players have put up flags for awesome space-stunts and battles.

I guess Im more in the mood for AoR full technocolor :)

But soon comes winter and then it's vampire or a swedish noir game called Noir that my mood will swing towards.

Hmm...then I think that the GM should pay attention to the desires of the other players. Did he say why he hesitates to include more vehicle combat? You mention that he is still fresh to GM-ing, is he intimidated in some way?

He says he plans to incorporate more vehicle combat/stunts every time I/we talk with him about it but it does not happen when we play, even if there is lots of possibilities to have some really good action going on. Even to the point where I and other players have said stuff like "Oh that asteroid field seems dangerous" or "Would not surprise me if we are being tracked and ambushed" to try to give the GM a hint of what we are looking for in-game. But still no. We as the players are not playing psychopaths so we will not attack innocent ships to start combat :P Usually the things that happen is just some basic talking explanation that we reaches destination from the GM, but I know he loves space combat and action when he is a player.

Yes I think that he might be a bit intimidated by being a new GM, i think he feels like he has a lot to live up to. But we complement hes achievements and point out the stuff that hes doing good, and tries to be as constructive as possible with our critique and give other views on stuff that went, not as good as it could have, so that he can improve.

Sounds like classic intimidation to me. Back when I was GMing D6 Star Wars, I had some really great players, one of whom expressed an interest in really dynamic and tactical combat locations. You know - ambush spots, choke points, moving parts, etc. Maps and all.

I really wanted to give him those things, but sadly, my mind just doesn't work that way. I'm all about rp and story (not that he wasn't, but you see what I mean). The difference is, I didn't tell him he'd get those things - I just... failed to include them (which I regret, but I was young and intimidated).

I'd recommend having an 'out-of-character' space combat session with your GM, where he can get a feel for it without blowing the story!

I have not read all the posts yet in this thread, but confirmed it does this... kind of mind blowing concept. The idea that you have ONE career which is tied to class skills, but the various added on specializations is kind of brilliant. I see now why they did smuggler as a main and scoundrel as a secondary now.

After all, how can you buy the Pilot spec from the Ace career when you've already got the Pilot spec from Smuggler? You can't buy an EotE career twice, so why should you now be able to buy the exact same spec just because it's in a different book?

This actually makes me increasingly think that careers should not have been included at all, just specializations. As it stands, they seem to mostly be an artificial XP Speedbump that is mainly there just to save on printing the same skill lists twice in a few places. I wish I'd thought to bring that up in the EotE beta. But admit the thought never even dawned on me until seeing the AoR beta.