40K version? How about Battlefleet Gothic?

By Groddzilla, in Warhammer: Diskwars

I know this was just announced, and I'm excited to play it when it comes out. I just want to offer up the suggestion, if you are going to do a 40K version of the game, make it Battlefleet Gothic. The different sized disks would work great for the different sized ships. Plus you could do missle tokens.

I'm not sure what the Warhammer\40K IP lets you make but I'm hoping for Battlefleet Gothic

I don't know how well that would work for BFG. BFG is similar to Battlestar Galactica in which you have a few large ships unleashing salvos of large attacks and releasing waves of dog fighters. I suppose you could have large ships represented and "units" of dog fighters but I see it losing some of the flavor that a fight like that would allow.

I second that, I would love to see a BFG version of this game.

(plus I want to see Twilight Imperium board game set in the 40k universe!!)

I think it would work. There are usually 3-4 classes of ships for each race, each class would be a different sized disk. The smallest disk could be a wave of fighters. Torpedos would probably be a different version of ranged attack. You probably wouldn't have Pinning, unless you had rules for boarding actions. It would have to be tweeked I'm sure but I have faith that FFG could get it done.

Did any of you guys play Twilight Imperium: Armada (also by FFG, loosely based on the disk system)? It would be the PERFECT port for Battlefleet Gothic. I would buy this instantly. I loved Armada, but it died an ignominious death.

Did any of you guys play Twilight Imperium: Armada (also by FFG, loosely based on the disk system)? It would be the PERFECT port for Battlefleet Gothic. I would buy this instantly. I loved Armada, but it died an ignominious death.

Yep sure did it is an awesome game and works better as a disk game since it has the flats on the disks easier to flip and the creation of your fleet and adding the crew and tech disks was just as cool as the game. I could see them bringing this back rather then a BFG version since FFG has their own TI universe with lots of races.

Edited by Roberious

I would be fine with that! I never understood why it went away, but it would make me very happy if it came back in an LCG style format. I really can't help but wonder if the stupid random distribution CCG model is what killed both Armada and Diskwars.

I would really, really, really love a Battlefleet Gothic - or, given the FFG licenses Battlefleet Koronus - version.

In some ways, the latter would be better; you needn't tread on the named ships like the planet killer or blackstone fortresses to be awesome - a rogue trader dynasties fleet of a dozen frigates and merchantmen can be a very characterful force, but you have room for the Navy, with actual line warships, or Karrad Vall's chaos raiders, the Undred-Undred Teef Orks, or the Rak'Gol.

It's also a setting with relatively limited fighter/torpedo proportions, meaning that you can make those very much 'special' counters rather than a core mechanic. Equally - unless you're the Winterscales - grand cruisers and battleships don't show up much, so you have 'space' in the scope of mechanics to fit plenty of distinction between transports and raiders, light cruisers and cruisers, and to have plenty of 'named' ships like the Fel Hand as well as generic equivalents - which keeps the character-centric nature of the game. It makes sense just about every battle that the Blitz Dynasty fights includes Jeremiah Blitz' flagship because he doesn't have many warships; Battlefleet Koronus itself only has about three or four line cruisers.

I would still leave pinning in - it's a key bit of making discwars work - but make it a combination of boarding and close-range broadsides (as rolling macrobattery fire forces a ship to divert power to shields, does lots of light damage, etc). Either way, it's going to be very much an orky/rak'gol tactic.

As with cards, discwars can afford to be slightly narrative and abstract compared to a 'normal' wargame.

Also, having pinning be boarding makes for some obvious mechanics - an assault boat squadron might be a cheap, fast, broadly useless disc - but flip it end-over-end up the board and pin some frigates with it; it'll put them out of action for a turn or two until they kill the bloody things, during which time you can manouvre to get the advantage.

I think the random distribution combined with over powered crew killed the Star Trek version. Spending more money deffinately gave you too much of an edge. This will be eliminated by having a fixed set. It has been too long sinced I looked at the rules to think of what to keep and what I would like to see changed.

I would like to see a 40K ground combat version so I can afford to field Gargants to stompy on the 'umies. :)