Welcome to BattleLore Second Edition!

By Lomiat, in BattleLore

Welcome to the community forums for BattleLore Second Edition , the board game of intense, squad-based warfare for two players!

You can learn all about what BattleLore Second Edition holds in store for you by reading our announcement of the product and the game's description page . You can also find an interview with Richard Borg , the original designer of BattleLore , in which he shares his thoughts on this new edition.

Then feel free to share your thoughts with others. Just remember to keep your language and content family-friendly. Enjoy!

Looks very Runewars artwork, could be interesting?

Edited by Lilikin

Does this have similar mechanics like Memoir 44? The cards displayed look very familiar for issuing orders.

I recently started playing Descent 2nd edition. Never played Battle Lore, but may have to give it a go. Am I correct that the game uses the same scale of figures as Descent? It would be cool to have some extra monster types. Granted, I'd have to come up with some stats. Not hard.

First thing I thought of when reading the announcement! Wonder if this will mean Runewars has had its day?

I'm quite excited, that Battlelore will be revived, but quite disappointed at the same time, that the new miniatures will have a different scale. It seems that all my painted minis cannot be reused as it was possible for Descent...

Will it be shown at GenCon in about 20 hours?

Yep. There are pics of BattleLore2 from GenCon up at BGG right now.

First thing I thought of when reading the announcement! Wonder if this will mean Runewars has had its day?

I seriously hope not, runewars is great :(

Not the announcement I was hoping for, but C&C:Terrinoth does look like it will be fun. Hope this does well.

I never got into the first BattleLore.... it was before I entered this wonderful hobby... so I am so stoked for this coming out. :)

I've had my eyes on Runewars for about a year and have been increasingly interested in the Runebound universe. I love Rune Age and got my extended family hooked on it as well. With this new announcement, I'm not sure if I should get Runewars next year or go for BattleLore. Both look interesting...

However, I think Runewars still wins out in my book. I like that it has four armies instead of just 2. My wife doesn't really approve of the Uthuk Y'llan and their demon worship, so I have trouble imagining that this game would hit the table. If an expansion is released with the Latari Elves and Waiqar the Undying, I think I might pick this up.

Still, I'll be watching this one closely. The war-faction aspects of the Terrinoth appeal much more to me than the hero aspects.

However, I think Runewars still wins out in my book. I like that it has four armies instead of just 2. My wife doesn't really approve of the Uthuk Y'llan and their demon worship, so I have trouble imagining that this game would hit the table. If an expansion is released with the Latari Elves and Waiqar the Undying, I think I might pick this up.

Wager heavily that more races will be coming out within a year - and likely the Elves and Undying would both be included at some point. Not sure if that helps to gain your wife's favor for this game, but it should be possible to play without involving the Uthuk Y'llan before too long.

Why should it? Battlelore is not a replacement for runewars. These games are absolutely different. BattleLore is a tactical game for two players. Runewars is a strategic game for up to 4 players. I still have hopes that they will anounce new expansion for runewars (with new races and possibility to play the game with up to 6 players).

Edited by poet1001

I am a fan of anything Terrinoth. Will most likely have to get this!

Just take my money.... Take it!!

Why should it? Battlelore is not a replacement for runewars. These games are absolutely different. BattleLore is a tactical game for two players. Runewars is a strategic game for up to 4 players. I still have hopes that they will anounce new expansion for runewars (with new races and possibility to play the game with up to 6 players).

True. I had hoped that, following Oath & Anvil last year, we'd be seeing Orcs and Dwarves for Runewars shortly. However, it was just a gut instinct that this now feels like Runewars. Maybe because I've only played Runewars two-player.

And Budgernaut - good to see you back :)

Very excited about this, I regularly play Battlelore and love the game for it's quick and easy playing style, being a huge tabletop miniatures fan but not always having the time to play, Battlelore has many of the elements I enjoy especially miniatures. Now looks as though the revision will add even better elements to the game play such as the scenario design and building your own forces, can't wait.

And Budgernaut - good to see you back :)

Thanks!

Does this have similar mechanics like Memoir 44? The cards displayed look very familiar for issuing orders.

The original Battlelore used the same system (Command & Colors system) as the one used in Battlecry, Memoir '44, etc.

This 2nd edition has some twisted in the system though as it is announced.

Well it's great news for those who never were able to get into BL,the 2ed looks terrific. Alas I have a lot of 1st ed stuff which is now not going to fit into 2nd ed. I don't think I'll reinvest at this point but it is tempting ;)

OD

Edited by Old Dwarf

I've just seen the quick flashes of minis from the GenCon Day 1 video, and I am really excited by this now! It looks a lot nicer than I thought it might be at first - this has definitely moved up on my list now!

I got to sit and play it. The dice are new with crown (usually a triggered ability on the creature card), weak attack, strong attack, lore, ranged hit, and flag. The game resembles the base game with call to arms built in. Lore cards seem to be integrated better at the start too. At the end of your turn you can choose to draw two lore cards, lore card and gain a lore, or gain two lore.

Setup is accomplished by using a setup card for each side. The setup cards are long and display the terrain on your side of the map as well as where you can put units. I had card a1 for the uthuk, which was called blood in the water. I could earn vps by holding points, and every unit i killed in the water earned me vps. Also my cav units (some demon dogs of some sort) could move freely in the water. You can choose your setup card, or randomize them.

Im pretty happy with what i saw.

Watched a video review of this and I am getting VERY excited. Anything that can push my friends into playing wargames is a good thing. I love board games but this is what I get super amped about. I too missed out on original BattleLore so seeing it being rebooted is fantastic. I'm also a major proponent of games that allow you to synergize campaigns. A BattleLore game leading to a Descent game, etc. Metagaming at its finest.

I got to sit and play it. The dice are new with crown (usually a triggered ability on the creature card), weak attack, strong attack, lore, ranged hit, and flag. The game resembles the base game with call to arms built in. Lore cards seem to be integrated better at the start too. At the end of your turn you can choose to draw two lore cards, lore card and gain a lore, or gain two lore.

Setup is accomplished by using a setup card for each side. The setup cards are long and display the terrain on your side of the map as well as where you can put units. I had card a1 for the uthuk, which was called blood in the water. I could earn vps by holding points, and every unit i killed in the water earned me vps. Also my cav units (some demon dogs of some sort) could move freely in the water. You can choose your setup card, or randomize them.

Im pretty happy with what i saw.

I know this question will yield a very biased answer, but if you've played Runewars and/or Rune Age, how does this game feel compared to those? I've got my own impressions, but without having played it, I'm not putting much stock in my current feelings. I'd love to hear more impressions/thoughts/critiques from you or anyone else who got a chance to play it.