Why would anyone send a caravan to a city? Question for harvesting.

By RoyalRook, in Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game

This is so pointless, why don't you simply harvest 2 hammers for the city with the scout for the rest of the game? Why would I ever want to sacrifice my scout for a single turn +2 production? Not to mention I have to disbanded it on top of my city, I would rather move it further away and harvest trades and productions for the rest of the game.

Can a scout harvest a square in my other cities' city skirt? Can this square count twice toward my productions and trades?

I guess it would be to being able to have those 2 production just in case if said scout is killed in a future turn. The scout can be rebuilt after all...

I guess it would be to being able to have those 2 production just in case if said scout is killed in a future turn. The scout can be rebuilt after all...

But, it would require a city action to rebuild the scout, and I would rather move away than send the scout as a caravan. 2 production is just not worth it.

What about my other question? Can a scout harvest a square in my other cities' city skirt? Can this square count twice toward my productions and trades (1 time for the city, and another time because of the scout)?

Well the choice of what to do with your scouts is of course yours to make. I was simply offering one possible explanation. Another use would be as follows: Say you have two cities and want to build a third one. Sadly, one of your opponents just built a city in the very spot you were aiming for with your scout. There is another good spot to build on though. Right beside your second city. All of your scouts are unfortunately at least two, maybe even three turns travel away from that spot. One of them is, however, within movement of your Capital. A quick caravaning would in this case help you get one of your scouts off the board, freeing it up to be built by your second city, much closer to the desired third city spot. Voila. One or two turns of travel time saved.

As for that second question, Yes your scout can send the symbols from an outskirt square of city A to city B. Said square cannot, however, be used by city A since it would be concidered to be located in city Bs outskirt for this turn. This tactic can be used to send, for instance, the hammers of a mountain square in city As outskirts to city B if city B might be newly built and lacking a hammer or two to get themselves up and running while city A has more hammers than they need. Maybe you are going to devote city A to the arts, for example.

Edited by Fnoffen

I would use this to avoid providing my opponent with LOOT if they are within range of my scout.