Timing Question

By PearlJamaholic, in CoC Rules Discussion

ok i have forgotten shoggoth on the table, i play shocking transformation. does shocking transformation go on the bottom of my deck before or after i shuffle? i assume the whole event occurs before the shoggoths effect takes place, correct? so ST would go under after the shuffle.

-- Yog-Sothoth --
Forgotten Shoggoth
------------------
Type : Character
Cost : 4
Skill : 3
Icons : TC
Subtype : Monster.
Game Text: Invulnerability. Cards cannot be attached to Forgotten Shoggoth. Any time a card would go to your discard pile, put that card on the bottom of your deck.

-- Shub-Niggurath --
Shocking Transformation
-----------------------
Type : Event
Cost : 3
Subtype :
Game Text: Action: Sacrifice one of your characters to search your deck for a non-Ancient One character and put it into play. Then, shuffle your deck.

lack of editing......what about the sac'ed creature? it also hits the discard/bottom of deck after the shuffle, correct?

If I remember correctly, the sacked character (if it isn't the shoggoth itself) will be put on the bottom, but the Shocking Transformation is in "being played limbo" as long as it is resolving. As the resolution is done, if the shoggoth is gone, ST is put in the discard pile.

When event cards are played from whereever , you drain a domain with the appropriate resources 'if neccessary'

and pay any additional costs.The effect/s resolve completely before the event card goes to your discard.

Sacrificing a character is part of the cost to play 'Shocking Transformation'.

Passive effects are still considered "actions" (in the wide sense of this word) for the purpose of timing
i.e. you must fully resolve any action before proceeding to the next one (as stated in FAQ p.3)

so, timeline would be :
1) you play shocking transformation from your hand if goes into the "effect card beeing played" area
2) you sacrifice a character it goes into the discard pile, Shoggot effect triggers (for the character) but cannot be resolved yet
3) You put a guy from your deck into play, shuffle your deck and put Shocking transformation in your discard pile
4) Shoggot effect triggers (for shocking transformation) but cannot be resolved yet as you already have an effect to resolve
5) you put your character at the bottom of your deck
6) you put Shocking transformation at the bottom of your deck

That is, once again, if i'm not badly mistaken on the rules ... i hope i'm not :)

So if I'm following this correctly, step (2) in your outline doesn't resolve because step (1) hasn't completely resolved yet? There is no chain, so actions must be completed before the next action occurs unless it is a disrupt, right?

So passive effects are not disruptions, or else they would resolve inside the timeline of the original action?

sensei yaourt said:

Passive effects are still considered "actions" (in the wide sense of this word) for the purpose of timing
i.e. you must fully resolve any action before proceeding to the next one (as stated in FAQ p.3)

so, timeline would be :
1) you play shocking transformation from your hand if goes into the "effect card beeing played" area
2) you sacrifice a character it goes into the discard pile, Shoggot effect triggers (for the character) but cannot be resolved yet
3) You put a guy from your deck into play, shuffle your deck and put Shocking transformation in your discard pile
4) Shoggot effect triggers (for shocking transformation) but cannot be resolved yet as you already have an effect to resolve
5) you put your character at the bottom of your deck
6) you put Shocking transformation at the bottom of your deck

That is, once again, if i'm not badly mistaken on the rules ... i hope i'm not :)

yeah, for all the rules i'm aware off, only distrupt can be "chained" and passive effect cannot : )
Still, i might be wrong, that would not be the first time :)