Do they need a Beta?

By S.A.Harris, in General Discussion

The time frame is shorter as they took feedback till November for EotE, I believe. But that may be indicative of the fact that much of the mechanics have already been looked at.

The time frame is shorter as they took feedback till November for EotE, I believe. But that may be indicative of the fact that much of the mechanics have already been looked at.

Oh, I'm sure that's the reason.

I was just trying to work out what that could mean for a release window. If it's only four to six weeks earlier than they closed feedback for EotE, though, I guess we're not necessarily looking at a turn-around by Q1 the way I suspected and was looking for some confirmation, though.

I like the way Paizo handles their beta testing: Post a PDF of the class(es) in question and let people go at it.

I like the way Paizo handles their beta testing: Post a PDF of the class(es) in question and let people go at it.

Well Paizo (and WotC for that matter) have the benefit of owning the IP of the product in question. D&D is still the 800 pound gorilla in the RPG market, with Pathfinder riding right on its back, so they can easily afford to give out free demos of the stuff they are testing and still expect to make a profit on the products.

FFG has to pay Lucasfilm (and by extension Disney) for any Star Wars products, so they need to maximize their profits as best they can. Sadly, requiring folks to pay for a Beta (which is at half the cost of the core rulebook if EotE is any sign) is a viable method of doing just that. I'd be pleased as punch if FFG could do the "free beta PDF material" like WotC has done with D&DNext, but sadly that's just not an option for FFG due to having to pay for use of the Star Wars license.

I just think of it as a $30 Kickstarter with a paperback rulebook thrown in for free. Given the exquisite nature of the EotE book, I'm happy to forward funds to make AoR a better game.

I have no problems paying for a printed and bound Beta that is still better quality than many full production RPG's on the market. We do not have to buy this and can wait until the finished product comes out next year. If a group of players really want to they can all chip in and buy one book to use. At least you know that you have serious players with a higher percent of feedback then if it was just put out there on the net as a PDF and a nice book for your collection.

Now if I can only buy one! That song "Anticipation" keeps running through my head!!! :lol: