Playing on one's own

By don246, in Wings of War (WWI)

Ok im an old boy (over 65) and I purchased WOW Famous Aces and Burning Drachends and many miniatures and have become addicted to it but my big problem is I have no one to play with only my ten year old granddaughter and she only visits me once a week and that's not working well, trying to get the wife intrested is just not working.

My question is have I wasted my money can any one give me any tips on how to have fun with it on my own or should I put it up for sale on EBay and stay with the flight sims on the PC.

I do like the way WOW is made. hope the manufactures are reading this and in future have this in mind.

One wonders if there might be near you a Friendly Local Game Store, with open tables and a supply of fodd^H^H^H^Hopponents. :)

Not sure if play-by-email is viable with _WoW_ yet; I haven't tried it, at any rate.

Alright - someone older than me!

As mentioned, try your local gaming store that carries this game. Most host games nights on location and WoW may be one of the events. Otherwise, many stores have a bulletin boards that hold the contact info of other players, or the store clerks know who is "into" the game.

If you live near Falls Church, give me a jingle.

Another option is solo play. Not as good mind-you, but still feasible. The published blimp scenarios are good. I've created some house rules for strict dogfight battles:

1. Pick the 3 movement cards for your plane(s) as per normal;

2. Pick 2 movement cards for the enemy plane(s) that will best counter your moves (max 1 steep);

3. Pick the enemy plane's third card at random, but don't look at it;

4. Shuffle the enemy movement cards and play (disregard any illegal moves for the enemy).

Works OK, and every now and then you will lose.

Many thanks for the reply, I live in England and the Games wear purchased on line.

I like your way of playing on one's own will give it a try Thanks for the help.

England t'is a bit far. But when I was in Bournemouth last year, I did locate a gaming store in Poole. Hopefully you live near a College/University or larger surburban area. Better chance for a game store/players at these locations. Cheers.

Thanks for that SHVAK, most intresting the nearest to me is 70 miles away looks like I will have to get my push bike out. happy.gif

Where abouts in England do you live mate?

I go to a club in Nuneaton, near Coventory.

Redditch

Thanks for asking.

Over in Worcestershire? That would be quite a way for me too, being a Cantabrigian (I believe that's the correct term) - but don't give up with the relatives - my 14 year old niece played yesterday, along with the wife, and both seemed to enjoy the game - my wife particularly as she shot both of us down in concert with my brother - the infamy!

I think that your missus, given the opportunity to blow her loved spouse to tiny pieces, seems to bring out that natural feminine competitive streak that we all know nestles just under the surface...

Thanks for reply Redmike, im working on the wife may be bribery is the answer.

My wife's pair of Nieuport 17's downed both my Albatross D.III's yesterday. Usually its the other way around :(

SHVAK said:

My wife's pair of Nieuport 17's downed both my Albatross D.III's yesterday. Usually its the other way around :(

Which 17s was she using? And how was she using them? The 17 handles better than the D.III, and if she concentrates both of hers on one of yours.... :)

Well it's nice to know some one is enjoying a game with there wife's, you lucky guys.

I will post when mine comes round at 67 she will need more work on her but I still love her. WOW or not

My wife gets "persuaded" to play WoW about once a week ; however, I wish she would play more often. Don - should your wife attempt to play I'd recommend switching to a 4-plane battle as soon as you can. I almost lost my wife's interest in the earlier games where her lone plane and mine would just fly circles around each other. Switching to 2-planes each resolved that. PS - you only have 20 years our senior.

Back to my battle. My games use a random time period, in this case we rolled early 1917. I further use randomized aircraft selection based on historical availability. My wife rolled a Nieuport 17 with a Lewis gun (B-damage) and another will a Lewis/Vickers combo (A-damage). I rolled two standard Albatross D.III's. I also use house "enhanced" rules for added realism, one of which is limited ammunition. In brief, the Lewis gun and its 97-round magazine equates to a 5 ammo count (3-5 shots) in the game before the magazine needs reloading. A long range shot uses 2 ammo counts while a short range shot uses 1 ammo count - the theory being that the trigger is held for a longer time period the further the distance. A Vickers has 20 ammo counts and the Spandau 25 - neither of these latter guns require nor have reloads. [The Lewis gun (for the pilot) has an initial magazine and 2 spares, equating to (5 x 3) 15 ammo counts in total].

Anyway, Voss' D.III went down in early in the game receiving only 4 damage cards (5, 5, 2 and 3+1)). Note that I combine 2x A-damage decks. Meanwhile, one of my wife's Nieuports had 16 damage cards and was still flying - she drew a lot of zeros. This plane also drew an explosion card, but in my games this instead equates to 3x C-damage cards. My wife drew 3x zero C-damage cards. Hautzmeyer's D.III inflicted alot of damage on the 16-card Nieuport (one point shy of killing it) and mildly damaged the other before succumbing to his fate as well.

Neither of my pilot would return to flying duties :(

I love this game!