[GAME IDEA] Wreck of the CFS Republic

By Desslok, in Game Masters

If you can get a hold of it, WEG's Riders of the Maelstrom has a deck plan for a Mon Cal MC80 that is a cruise ship. Its what I used as needed when we played the story.

A quick Google for "Space Cruise Ship" turned up this design, which I really like. It has the rounded look that reminds me of a Mon Cal starship, yet has the raised bridge that reminds me of the Malevolence and republic cruisers of the Clone Wars series. I don't know that I would bother trying to come up with deck plans... maybe sketch out a brief outline, but it doesn't sound like you are planning on any combat. In a crunch, you could easily use the cantina map from the BB for a nightclub and the hanger control room for the bridge. Not very opulent, but they'd server for a reference.

http://bucultureshock.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/spacecruise.jpg

Because it's been buried by a couple of years of messages, I thought I'd shamelessly punt this to the top for all the new people around here to use.

(Also putting this on Kyla's radar so hopefully we get an awesome game out of it too. :) )

Share and enjoy kids!

Edited by Desslok

Because it's been buried by a couple of years of messages, I thought I'd shamelessly punt this to the top for all the new people around here to use.

(Also putting this on Kyla's radar so hopefully we get an awesome game out of it too. :) )

Share and enjoy kids!

woo. Thread necromancy!

I have no specific ideas, beyond - of course - the real world inspiration. So very opulent, lots of wood and brass everywhere, ornate viewports, thick lush carpeting - that sort of thing. As for actual layout of the ship, I might steal (and heavily modify) the actual deck plans of the Titanic. Sure you cant use the open air decks (although perhaps a fore viewing dome wouldn't be amiss), but generally the layout would be useful. I might double it in size, two A decks, two B decks and so on - just make this sucker massive.

Maybe start with the deckplans of a larger, more modern, cruise ship? Like, maybe “Harmony of the Seas” (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_world%27s_largest_cruise_ships )?

Deploy the Deathwing to purge the space....crap Star Wars, not 40k. ^_^ Nice write up! :D

This is beautiful. I probably won't use it... but exploring a shipwreck might be in the cards for my PCs now. :D

Edited by The Shy Ion

Wow!

Such a beautiful write up. I feel I will have to steal this.

Although I may chuck some aggressive droids or space fauna at my group because otherwise they will totally want to strip the whole thing.

you should have sent it off to Disleen... still a better love Star Wars story than Twilight The Farce Awokened

Shameless post because at the time of this posting we are about 2 minutes away from the actual, real time, final sinking of the Titanic.

*pours one out*

So, what kinds of stats would the ship have?

Yoink.

11 hours ago, HeavensThunderHammer said:

So, what kinds of stats would the ship have?

In its prime?

Here're my thoughts, though @Desslok could probably tell you more than I can.

Light armor, relatively low WTT for its size since it isn't a warship, high SST. High hangar capacity for shuttles and pleasure craft, high consumables.

Probably something like...
Sil 9, Speed 1, Handling -4, 1/1/1/1, 3 Armor, 160 WTT, 90 SST.
Hyperdrive: Primary: Class 2, Backup: Class 15.
Navicomputer: Yes
Sensor range: Extreme
Ship's Complement: 10,000. The actual organic crew is minimal, with much of the ship's actual operation done by droids. The bridge crew accounts for most of the organic crew. The rest of it is related to hospitality staff and other "staff" roles.
Starfighter Complement: Two squadrons of fighters for search-and-rescue, defense, and airshows.
Vehicle Complement: Many tugs, shuttles, and space-faring pleasure craft.
Encumbrance Capacity: High, but it's a passenger ship not a cargo ship, so cargo isn't a big deal. I am also terrible at setting Encumbrance Capacities.
Passenger Capacity: 30,000
Price/Rarity: Enough to bankrupt to bankrupt a star system or two/One of a kind.
Customization Hard Points: 0
Weapons: Point-defense laser cannons, anti-missile defense systems, and discreetly concealed heavy weapons in case the ship comes under serious threat.

No backup hyperdrive - it's part of the conceit that left it stranded. Possibly an incident that popularised having a backup.

On 10/2/2020 at 7:37 AM, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Here're my thoughts, though @Desslok could probably tell you more than I can.

Honestly, since the ship is more of a MacGuffin than a "Lets go zip around the galaxy in this!", I never gave thoughts to the stats. If I needed stats, I'd probably use a Calamari cruiser as a base (since they were originally cruise ships before pressed into service against the Empire), strip off the guns except for maybe one or two light ones for looks and token defense, dump the backup hyperdrive and call it a day.

4 minutes ago, Desslok said:

Honestly, since the ship is more of a MacGuffin than a "Lets go zip around the galaxy in this!", I never gave thoughts to the stats. If I needed stats, I'd probably use a Calamari cruiser as a base (since they were originally cruise ships before pressed into service against the Empire), strip off the guns except for maybe one or two light ones for looks and token defense, dump the backup hyperdrive and call it a day.

I just like to overthink things. :)

You want overthinking? You should see my game notes. :)

Welp, I came in late, but I'll definitely consider putting this in if I GM another Star Wars game.

Meanwhile, Tresk is trying to strike a balance on how much he can salvage and how much can be left to a museum. Rich people have more than enough stuff that some of it won't be missed, and not every bit of scrap metal is going to be of interest to forensic scientists.

I used the CFS Republic as a mystery for my mystery loving group a couple of years back- they found a lifepod in the refrigerated hold of a ship they 'acquired' with some notes from one of the previous owners trying to figure out where the Liner was. They went to a planet that also had a life boat, but got distracted by other things so never managed to find the Republic herself. I wrote the planet up:

The lifepod is kept refrigerated to preserve the remains/artifacts in case they yield anymore clues, but they won't share the secret of 'what's in the box' with new crew (or players) and have set explosives and sensors on it in case anyone tampers with it!