10 Tweaks to perfection [Talents]

By GauntZero, in Game Mechanics

So, the last one in the moment, this one is about Talents & Traits.

10 things that jumped into my eyes:

1.) Takedown seems to be too powerful

--> there should be some kind of saving throw for the target related to its Strength and/or Size

Otherwise I can take down the slow but tough Techpriest with ease.

2.) Marksman is too weak

--> -10 would be enough, -20 is too much

3.) Preternatural speed --> 1m is not called that way !

at least give it Ag-Bonus/2 (rounded up)

4.) I miss Frenzy / Battle Rage as Talents

Did I miss them somehow, or why are they gone ??

Also, the Trait Unnatural Attribute is gone ?

--> Due to higher attribute values now ?

5.) Keen Intuition should be limited to 1 or max. 2 re-attempts

--> otherwise Observation-Tests will be useless

6.) Coordinated Interrogation - too expensive, if several should buy it for a good effect

7.) Peer seems a little cheap to me

--> as it also has an Influence impact, it should be a little more expensive

8.) not a Talent but a skill --> First Aid (Medicae(A)) seems too unrealistic

In this way, after a fight, at least 50% of the wounds will suddenly disappear, and even critical ones might become regular ones.

--> better: limit First Aid on 1 use per X hours per acolyte; everything else needs to be natural healing and/or extended care. Critical wounds only healable by extended care.

Healing exploits are very very common.

Otherwise having 1 character with Ag 50+ and Medicae 20+ has no problem at all to heal other characters during combat. Warrior has four wounds --> your Chirurgeon heals within 1 round (4 AP) 70%+ of them --> 3 of 4. Almost dead to a small cut in 5 seconds ??? Come on...

At the very least, limit it to healing 1 wound per 1h per acolyte.

9.) Untouchable: not really a trait, but worth mentioning

--> too much nerfed and not in line with fuff anymore

10.) Mechanicus Implants - where are they gone ?

--> a Techpriest Elite Package with the Implant Set would be good (this set could allow certain Techpriest-only implants); I would make this package NOT to cost a cybernetics slot though.

Comments ? Corrections ?

Edited by GauntZero

Mechanicus Implants was just an excuse to block off talents from non-mechanicus characters. Considering most of those talents now have a cybernetic prerequisite of their own, I'd say we can wave good bye to Mechanicus Implants for good. All it added from a mechanical standpoint was a rebreather.

i would love to see the single components with a real use:

> Cyber-Mantle: natural Armour P1 to Body and 2 Mechandrites count as only 1 cybernetic

> Cranial Circuitry: allows an additional cybernetic

> Potentia Coil: could be needed for certain cybernetics/talents later on like integrated weapons

I'd say Mechanicus Implants can stay purely in the realm of roleplayed aspects, honestly. Giving each feature a use that is anything more than trivial would quite easily make the whole advance/implant rather overpowered, and they're mostly things that just feed into the other implants. It's easy to assume that, say, the first time you get an augmentation that needs power, a potentia coil is also installed.

Ain't the Coil only for Mechanicus ?

Logically any powered implant would need something to power it, so I'm actually unsure. I'm not sure if there's much concrete fluff on this stuff outside of FFG's own writing, honestly.

As far as I understood, the potentia coil serves the higher energy need of the techpriests for their implants.

Maybe it is kind of a deluxe edition of the "usual" power generator.

Keeping in mind that Lathe Worlds intruduced an inhanced one that had even more power, could indeed connect it to an additional need of power.

Maybe smaller implants can even run on "bio-energy", but a higher amount or more consuming ones not so much ?

A potentia coil could maybe be added to allow additional implanty above the Toughness limit.

This way, a Techpriest would be a little less restricted.

With the Cyber-Mantle I could go along that it is automatically installed when taing a mechandrite.

Same with Cranial Circuitry.

But the Coil always seemed to be something special and holy to the mechanicus...at least in my perception.

Well, if you were to include it as an implant which increases the limit (I like this idea), you could just fluff it the same as Mechadendrites. Generally restricted to the Mechanicus, but others can manage to acquire them through shadier channels.

By discussing this further, I think more and more this could be a good idea...

The Potentia Coil as a "Mechanicus only" implant (if not aquired through an heretek), which allows 50% more Cybernetics.

That would:

> include the Coil elegantly

> help the Mechanicus with the quite tough (at least for them) limit

> would not force a techpriest character to increase Toughness over all, just to be able to field a reasonable amount of implants (though high Toughness would help much for that)

What about the other issues mentioned above ?

#3 - Please make talents usable for those of us not using exact metrics for combat.

I prefer a more narrative flow of action, without grid-mats, miniatures or exact ranges for everything. Increasing charge distance by 1m is something that will have no effect in my games.

Just as I said, 1m is nothing at all.

Especially if calling it preternatural speed.

What about that is preternatural ??

You're right, the talent is kinda bad...assuming a starting agility of 50 and cheap agility advancements, it would actually cost you less to raise your agility to 60 than it would getting preternatural speed, achieving the same result on top of all the other benefits a higher agility gives you.

With Preternatural Speed, its worth pointing out that it is essentially adding damage to the charge as well. Remember, on a charge action, you add the distance in meters moved as a bonus to the damage from a charge.

To this end, plainly increasing the distance moved by the talent will have an affect there as well. 1m is fine, 2m is fine even, but further past that point and you start dealing with an amount of bonus damage to an attack that is already exceptionally powerful (i.e. +5 bonus damage, "just cause," is pretty useful).

I;m a bit skeptical of the current benefits that Agility provides, but I do like how they appear to have found a solution to the "charge is a foolish combat action to take" problem.

I forgot about the damage bonus.

That makes things a little more tricky...

Maybe just a little buff then ? +Ag/2m (rounded up ?