Action Cards - Challenge Dice - Where the rules?

By DurakBlackaxe, in WFRP Rules Questions

You know that action cards e.g. Melee Strike and Acrobatic strike do not have challenge dice on them.

I remember reading that you are meant to add a challenge dice onto action cards. But cannot seem to find out where I read that.

Okay was the Errata.

Acrobatic Strike has 2 black dice on it, while Melee Strike has no dice.

Does all Action cards have 1 challenge dice as default on them? or just the ones with vs. Target Defence

Edited by DurakBlackaxe

Does all Action cards have 1 challenge dice as default on them? or just the ones with vs. Target Defence

No.

If it says "vs Target Defence" you roll 1 Purple die, plus Black Dice equal to their Defence rating, plus any extra dice shown in the upper left corner of the card.

If it says "vs Target {insert skill and characterstic here}" you roll Purple dice and Black Dice based on the Opposed check chart in the rule book, plus any extra dice shown in the upper left corner of the card. The chart tends to make opposed checks much harder than normal attacks.

In all other cases that I can think of, you roll only the Purple and Black dice shown in the upper left corner of the card.

The GM is always freely empowered to modify difficulties as he or she sees fit, but those are the defaults.

If there's no action card involved, the GM sets whatever difficulty they feel is appropriate. Note however that Average (2d) Difficulty is very poorly named. 2 Purple is definitely above the actual average difficulty of most action cards.

Edited by r_b_bergstrom

Its just there was bit I read In the book about easy checks 0d.

I saw you can get easy 0Diff challenge checks, so was wondering which action cards give that chance. All the action cards I thought gave a minimum 1Diff

I think with all these rules it take me a year to get round the small print.

Everyone says its up to the GM, but if I want to GM in the future I would like to understand the rules.

Then I reread your post and now understand

If it says "vs Target Defence" you roll 1 Purple die, plus Black Dice equal to their Defence rating, plus any extra dice shown in the upper left corner of the card.

If it says "vs Target {insert skill and characterstic here}" you roll Purple dice and Black Dice based on the Opposed check chart in the rule book, plus any extra dice shown in the upper left corner of the card. The chart tends to make opposed checks much harder than normal attacks.

In all other cases that I can think of, you roll only the Purple and Black dice shown in the upper left corner of the card.

Must learn to understand what I read on the first attempt

Edited by DurakBlackaxe

Off the top of my head: Assess the Situation and Guarded Position default to 0 dice. (Assess only if unengaged.)

I'm pretty sure there's other support actions that follow that pattern, and a handful of spells or blessings. Can't remember which ones off the top of my head, but the PCs at my table have a few of them.

I know this is an old thread, but I have had to explain these rules several times where I have tried to find some really simple way to sum it up, and I think I just realized the easiest rule to remember to get this right:

"All characters and NPCs have a natural defense of 1 Challange Dice."

As long as you allways remember this, things should work out ok. If it says "Skill" you know it is just a straight skill test. It is says "Skill vs Skill" it is an opposed skill test. If it says "Skill vs Defense" you calculate the targets defense, remembering the rule I just stated above.

Edited by Ralzar