Fantasy Flight Games: Bring back HeroQuest!

By Zophar, in The Crystal Ball and The Wishing Well

To whom it may concern at FFG,

I've been playing board games / CCG / LCGs / etc for many years now, and lately I've been thinking about the board game that got me into it all... HeroQuest, circa 1991! I absolutely was blown away by a board game that had different scenarios, monster figures, but most important of all... the furniture! I loved it all! Even though by today's standards the rules were a little crude and undefined in some places, and it got way too easy as you leveled up, it was such a fun game and some of my best gaming memories are from that time.

So... since it was set in the WarHammer universe, and FFG has the rights to the Warhammer series... why not remake it? I can think of no better game to remake. No offense to Descent, but nothing beats Zargon raining down the forces of evil gargoyles, goblins, and femirs... and did I mention the FURNITURE? (If you do remake this, don't change the furniture into tokens! hehehe...)

OK, who agrees? What do we have to do to make our voices heard?

Brad "Zophar" Levicoff

Count me in. I enjoy Descent 2e, but Heroquest has the exploration aspect going for it, which adds an extra level of enjoyment - and the fact that the whole family can play it within minutes, with very little rules explanation for newbies. Update the board, miniatures, skill and combat rules (while retaining the simplicity) and this could be great.

Absolutely the best product idea I've heard in a long time. It's beyond me how a wildly popular game like HeroQuest hasn't been reprinted yet. Every gamer I know speaks to the greatness of this dungeon crawler classic. Some even refer to it as the "Granddaddy of Dungeon Crawlers" in the same way people speak of Gary Gygax with regard to RPGs.

While you're at it...I'd love to see a collector's edition with kick-ass, prepainted minis.

Do it, FFG. Do it soon. I'd buy it in a second.

Edited by Sanjay

For everyone interested there is a kickstarter for this.

Click here

This is the title that got me into gaming and started my road to an empty pocket book as well (1989). Descent 1 is a fantastic game (Descent 2 is Meh). I believe that Descent always suffered from the fact that you could not search for traps or secret doors the way you could in Heroquest.

I believe that with FFG's talent and dedication to quality, they could easily obtain the license to this game and freshen it up for a modern audience that would exceed our expectations. My hope would be for the game designers to auto include all of the original expansions into the base core set, then build fresh from there.

I believe this game would do very well in sales, as time and again, I run into so many nostalgic people who still bring this game up in conversations at local game stores and on You Tube. Heck, I believe that I read in an article somewhere that Kevin Wilson himself alleged the inspiration behind Descent was derived from the Heroquest game system. So,.... to whom it may concern over at FFG headquarters, please consider this post.

Thank You

I just recently started browsing this wish list forum. I have to say, I think a remake of this game would be a fantastic idea. Growing up, I always wanted Heroquest, but my parents would never buy it for me due to the price. I fondly remember looking at this game every time I would go to the toy store, staring at the back of the box with wide eyes just hoping that one day it would be mine. Unfortunately, as I got older and started my first job, the game went out of print and we haven't seen it since. I'm an avid player of Descnet 2E and literally own EVERYTHING for it. Now, obviously I love Descent 2E, it's one of my favorite games of all time right up there with Runewars. Though, I'd be lying to myself if I didn't mention that in the back of my mind I've always felt there's a tiny something missing with Descent. It's so close, but just not QUITE there on that feeling of being epic. I feel that a new HeroQuest could fill that void, and fill it quite easily. Also, with Descent 2E looking to be winding down a bit on the expansion side of things, FFG needs another game set in a fantasy realm to take its place. Imperial Assault won't do it for me personally as its basically Descent rebadged with a Star Wars theme. With FFG's love for expansions, HeroQuest would be perfect as its essentially infinitely expandable. C'mon FFG, make this happen!

Unfortunately it seems that Kickstarter was killed by one Francis G. Stafford who apparently had his company (aka Moon Design Publications LLC) scoop up the rights to the name "Heroquest". Here's a link to the trademark infringement complaint:

https://www.kickstarter.com/dmca/heroquest-25th-anniversary-canceled-submitted-by-private

There was a pc game when I was a kid from Sierra called Heroquest for a short time until they also found out the name was taken and changed it to Quest for Glory. I actually own the orginal box copy of Heroquest before they changed the name to comply. I also have Heroquest the board game by MB and I can say it was the game that my friends played a ton of. And set me up to really like Descent 1st ed. 2nd ed really let me down with its removal of the fun of hidden info and the focus on fast pace race style missions and its land slide imbalance with win/losses.

I wish they would make a 3rd ed of descent with more aspects from 1st and heroquest and make it a product you could just convert your existing content you already own from 2nd ed and 1st ed. Pull in some things learned from imperial assault.

I pulled my old copy out of the attic a few years ago and painted all the monsters. Wasn't able to interest any of my friends in playing it though. Stupid friends.

I played Hero Quest, alone, half a dozen times and had a great time. I guess I should get it out of the hot attic. The box wasn't even skinned up on the corners.

As far as I remember Hero Quest was owned by GW (and Milton Bradley).

Since FFG and GW breaking up has just been announced (goodbye Warhammer FFG games... :( ) , I would say that it is almost impossible that FFG will reprint Hero Quest.