A proposal of rules for Money

By Quadruped, in Game Mechanics

Like many others on this board, my group and I like to deal with money, because the concept can serve both as a resource to manage and a convenient reward over the course of the adventure.

I think there is a way to properly function with the current Influence/Acquisition rules and implement the use of money.

Money would be meant to boost the Influence score.

Depending on the availability value of items, a certain amount of money must be spent to increase your Influence score by +5.

A Spending table would look like this.

Availability Cost

+30 5$/+5 Influence

+20 10$/+5 Influence

+10 25$/+5 Influence

+0 50$/+5 Influence

-10 100$/+5 Influence

-20 250$/+5 Influence

-30 500$/+5 Influence

-40 1000$/+5 Influence

-50 2500$/+5 Influence

A group could still play the game with little to no concern for money; the rule can play out as completely optional. However, for those who prefer the inclusion of currency, I think this idea of a table would make money/treasure hunting as a worthwhile effort.

By experience, most, if not all, of my groups showed a great love for tracking down loot, count up their money and plan their spendings. It can also serve as convenient way to introduce certain dilemmas to a group of players: If they sell their xeno artefact to some underworld dealer, the group might have enough money to buy a weapon to defeat their current foe, for example; or a group low on Influence and cash might have to accept criminal contracts from some unsavory noble in order to get the proper equipment or contacts.

Additionnal thoughts

- A limit could be imposed as to how much Influence can be gained by spending money.

- On Failed Influence rolls, money could be mostly reimbursed. Maybe around 75% worth.

- Spending a lot of money for a single item or service could attract unwanted attention.

I think this is a very good idea which would combine both play-styles perfectly and could easily be introduced without adding tons of new material on how much any single item is worth.