This looks awesome...but

By No1Sciguy, in General Discussion

Looks like a fantastic game. I worry that it is suplanting Arkham Horror though.

This may as well be called Arkham Horror Lite. It doesn't seem so different from AH as Mansions of Madness does. Watching the preview and listening to the descriptions, it reminds me too much of AH.

I will keep an eye on this one, but am not sold yet.

Looks like an interesting game, but unlikely to replace Arkham Horror for me. At this stage, it doesn't appear significantly different enough for me to invest time and money in this as well. I hope FFG continue to support existing games too.

I'd still love to see a global expansion for Arkham Horror - I suppose this could be seen as a sequel game for Day 2, following an Arkham Horror win. (I've almost justified why I might buy this as well).

I'll keep an eye on this one as more information comes out - difficult to get much of a sense of the gameplay from the promotional video which seems to consist mainly of enthusiasm and storytelling. A nice sales pitch but more substance will be useful as the first reviews appear from gamers.

Edited by Shub-Niggurath

Fortunatelly, I didn't buy Arkham only CoC LCG, so this one really interests me. The reason for not buying AH was horribly long playing time. If this one can be played under 2 hours, I'll buy it sooner or later for sure.

Not sold yet either. I don't want AH lite. I want AH with more strategy. Not enough information yet.

My initial thought on seeing the board, was it appears there are actually fewer locations to visit than in Arkham Horror? I really hope that's not the case. As a global game should (in my opinion) have a bigger board, with more spaces to visit.

I'm surprised they're retaining the card player pieces, given that the characters all have plastic sculpts now.

I don't think it will replace Arkham Horror. If anything it feels like a sequel. I was sold the instant I saw it come up. (I was literally on the website and watched as it was posted.) If anything is Arkham Horror Lite it was Elder Sign. This is a completely new game with a completely new set of investigators.

My friend owns most of the AH, so I'll probably buy EH for our gaming group. But I'll wait for the first responses and reviews instead of buying it ASAP.

This won't replace Arkham Horror, I'm sure it will scratch different itches !

From the FFG video, to me it looks EXACTLY like Arkham Horror. But on a worldwide scale.

Was antartica on the board? if not I bet that will be one of the expansions.

I'm sure it's not an Arkham clone or a replacement. This is like a companion game in the series. Not Arkham 3rd Edition.Arkham has been a HUGE success for FFG and so another game in the series is not surprising. Although Arkham has had a TON of expansions, I don't know how much more they could manage.

All Lovecraft games will have Stamina, Sanity and the Great Old Ones as part of the game. That's been there since Chaosium created the Call of Cthulhu Role Playing Game decades ago. So yeah, it will have similarites to Arkham, but I'm sure they are looking at some of the criticisms of AH, long playing time, complex, huge space required and have made a game that answers that. It may be more like Legends of Andor or Defenders of the Realm than Arkham.

Each game has it's own niche:

Arkham Horror - Complicated - Long playing time - set in a small town (or two)

Mansions of Madness - Slightly less complicated - Long playing time - set in a haunted house

Elder Sign - Easy - short playing time - in a museum

Eldritch - Easy (based on the 16 page rulebook mentioned in the video) - moderate playing time - world wide scale

Based on their track records with Lovecraftian games, if they print it- I will buy it.

It looks fun, but I dislike the low-contrast map. World maps were available in color in the 1920s.

It just looks bland instead of "old timey".

I'll still buy it though.

Edited by Hamlet23

I wouldn't say the game has a moderate playing time. Both this game and arkham horror have a listed playing time of 2-4 hours. So this game will have about the length of just playing arkham horror with just the base set. Not sure what the point of this game is. Unless the actual gameplay is incredibly different but looking at the components from the game play video it doesn't look all that different at first glance

Edited by TheKingOfBlades

I'll pick this up. I see many of the mechanics that appeared in various AH expansions are in this game. As far as providing a "new" experience, this game seems to rely on the text of the encounter cards. Functionally, this game appears to be identical to AH with the condition cards from one of the expansions.

I already own every AH expansion out there, so I can't really claim to be critical of any AH product. The only AH product I don't own is Masions of Madness because I don't particularly care for DM games, and I already own Descent which is far more robust.