Question about Duke and blessings

By Nit, in Elder Sign

Hey,

Just wondering... If you choose to sacrifice Duke (the Ally) in order to prevent any penalty from an Adventure card, do you get to keep your Blessing as well then?

Thnx!

/Nit

Hi Nit

I would say you lose your blessing as, looking at Duke's card, I see he only suffers the Adventure Cards penalty's, not the fact that you've failed the adventure. As you know, you lose your blessing on failing an adventure card,

Walts

I agree with Walts- you must pass the adventure in order to avoid losing a blessing.

Being an animal lover, I always thought the way they designed Duke was kind of mean- that you would choose to sacrifice him to save yourself. Playing thematically, I guess there are some characters who might do that (the scientist comes to mind), but I can't imagine the nun or the trashcan guy (who gets him at the start) would.

I have thought up a redesign that would function similarly to Anna Kraslow, where Duke would allow you to reroll all terror results once per roll, you would place stamina on him every time you suffer a stamina loss, and he would go away after 3 tokens are on him. I like this idea much more from a thematic standpoint, as having a loyal dog at your side would help prevent you from suffering terror results, and the dog would be quick to defend you. I also think the game needs an ability that allows you to reroll terror to avoid terror effects. This would also work thematically with the scientist, as Duke's function would not be that important to her, but she would still be able to take advantage of terror rerolls when she's failing an adventure.

Agreed. Duke's card states you can discard the card instead of suffering the Adventure card's penalties (emphasys mine). In the card anatomy on pag. 9 of the revised rulebook, penalties are identified as the icons in the lower left corner of the adventure card. The condition to discard a Blessing is the failing of the adventure card. Avoiding the penalties for failing the adventure thanks to Duke doesn't mean you passed the adventure. So, the Blessing is lost.

Well Duke is a loyal dog. What ever nasty that caused you to run away while duke kept it back for what ever seconds. You feel sad about losing him, but thnakful for his sacrifice