Base game unavailable

By alansa, in The Lord of the Rings: The Board Game

Can't seem to find this game anywhere. Totally out of stock. Are FFG working on a reprint?

Got my base game only last week. My local game store chain has/had it still in stock (in Finland).

anything new here??

Go to google.com, enter "lord of the rings board game" then go to "Shopping" link.

You should find many online USA shops selling LOTR board game. Delivery from most of them is world wide.

Regards

Though most US stores will show up as available from a Google search, when you the link to the store itself, they all say "out of stock". The few that are still selling them are charging more than retail, since the word is out that it is currently out of print. The eBay price is way up since 6 months ago. FFG should really reprint this soon if they plan on selling any more expansions.

coo - lucky I got my copy from ebay for £5 (pre-owned but unopened) a few months ago...

the game could do with something of an update in the graphics design department (the actual Howe artwork is amazing of course), but I guess we'd be lucky just to get a reprint

I managed to pick up a used (but good condition aparently) base game for 99p on ebay. I look forward to playing, I don't have many coops.

alansa said:

the game could do with something of an update in the graphics design department (the actual Howe artwork is amazing of course),

Agreed. The Howe art is fantastic, but the rest of the game is VERY lackluster in comparison to the rest of FFG's graphic design layout since this game was originally published.

I really dont think a simple reprint would do, and I would bet that FFG feels the same way. Their current product line makes this game look shabby in comparison. I have a feeling that FFG would prefer to update it so that it reflects better on the image of the company.

That and the rulebook is in drastic need of revision because it is one of the most horrible rulebooks ever. its there to teach new players how to play.

It fails. Utterly.

Well the game wasn't actually produced by FFG. They just had the US distribution rights. (in the UK it was Hasbro)

The game was produced by Sophisticated games in the UK. Same people who did Beowulf the Legend and Middle Earth Quest.

Beowulf was another Knizia-Howe game. The graphics design was much better than LotR though not quite as good as FFG's.

I guess it would be up to Sophisticated to produce another edition, with some prompting from FFG. Or Sophisticated hand the production work for a new edition over to FFG.

Sophisticated Games still list the game as for sale on their website - International P&P is a standard option.

I've had a hard time finding it locally too.

I have found 1 website that lists it for double what FFG listst it for! i'd like to try this game but man, not at that cost. Guess I'll keep looking or hope for a reprint. Just reading these posts the graphics seem to be "old?". Let's hope FFG will revamp and reprint.

Just to be clear, the graphics are poor. (Symbols, text etc). But the John Howe artwork (the backgrounds on the boards and the central images on the cards) is very hight quality.

I own the german edition and I quite like the "retro"-style of it. But of course, should there ever be a new edition I'd stand in line to get it, I'm sure.

New "Silver Line" edition just announced; check out the homepage. Not sure I could go back to non-F&F playing, though...

I wonder if the expansions will be released for the silver line scale.

Ooooo! Much improved graphics. This is more like it.

I knew there must have been something going on.

I take it the board and cards are smaller, some the reason as to why the expansions are incompatible. That's ok, I love small compact formats.

I'll wait till they do the Sauron expansion though (fingers crossed) as that's they way we prefer to play it. Not so fussed about F&F and Battlefields

I think Battlefields is, by far, the best of the expansions, and I rarely want to play LOTR without that, anymore. So here's hoping they will release the expansions in this new format.

So...Silver Line Games is made by FFG - yes? Is it just a different brand under the parent company? I also looked at the store and there seemed to be expansions for the game - but not available, and there was no mention about them being SLG - so I'm assuming these expansions are not compatable with the SLE?