How Many Core Sets and Of Each Chapter Pack?

By jesterhawk, in A Game of Thrones LCG

Hello,

I am looking to start again (as mentioned in another thread). When I get paid on Friday, I am looking at buying some cards. Not sure how much I can afford yet. But I wanted to know, how many core sets and how many of each chapter pack should I buy? I ask because I started off with the Star Wars LCG which is fun and they say you need two of the core sets, one of each force pack and two of each deluxe expansion. I was wondering if that was the same with Game of Thrones LCG,

Thanks

JH

2+ core sets (or if you want, you can buy singles from teamcovenant.com), one of each chapter pack and one of each deluxe. plus, for SW:TCG, you only need 2 of EoD. You won't need 2 BotF, cause all the objectives are 1 per objective deck.

Thanks.

On the SWLCG, I knew about EoD but didn't about BotF. Thanks!

JH

You need one of each chapter pack, if they are the revised editions that include 3 copies of each card. The first time around, chapter packs were smaller, and did not include 3 copies of each card, forcing people to buy multiple copies of the chapter packs to get complete playsets of some cards.

Some stores and other online vendors are still selling the older chapter packs that do not include 3 copies of every card. Be sure that the chapter packs that you are buying are the new revised versions.

At some point (I am forgetting exactly where) the chapter packs started including 3 copies of every card -- it is only some of the oldest chapter packs that you have to worry about, I think the first two cycles worth. Some one please clarify/correct me -- I don't have time to look up which cycle/pack we were on when things changed to the 3x of each card method.

You need one of each chapter pack, if they are the revised editions that include 3 copies of each card. The first time around, chapter packs were smaller, and did not include 3 copies of each card, forcing people to buy multiple copies of the chapter packs to get complete playsets of some cards.

Some stores and other online vendors are still selling the older chapter packs that do not include 3 copies of every card. Be sure that the chapter packs that you are buying are the new revised versions.

At some point (I am forgetting exactly where) the chapter packs started including 3 copies of every card -- it is only some of the oldest chapter packs that you have to worry about, I think the first two cycles worth. Some one please clarify/correct me -- I don't have time to look up which cycle/pack we were on when things changed to the 3x of each card method.

You're correct. It was cycle 3 (King's Landing cycle) that we started to see 3x each card. If you get the original print of the Clash of Arms or Time of Ravens cycles, then you're looking at 10 cards at 3x and 10 cards at 1x

Edit: of course, if you can find the old Clash of Arms packs, there's nothing wrong with having the black border versions of cards. They look good... even if you have to get extra packs to make up for the missing copies.

Edited by stormwolf27

Thanks. I am looking forward to playing :)

Let me put an end to this nonsense right now. You need 1 core set... anyone who tells you that the only way to have fun and play with 'AGoT LCG' is to have 2+ core sets is crazy. Chapter packs and expansions? Martell and Greyjoy indefinitely for expansions but for chapters, take your time and see what you like because once you start, you'll suddenly be getting entire cycles and wondering how you got them :D . Anyway, just grab something that catches your eye when it comes to your first chapter pack.

Let me put an end to this nonsense right now. You need 1 core set... anyone who tells you that the only way to have fun and play with 'AGoT LCG' is to have 2+ core sets is crazy. Chapter packs and expansions? Martell and Greyjoy indefinitely for expansions but for chapters, take your time and see what you like because once you start, you'll suddenly be getting entire cycles and wondering how you got them :D . Anyway, just grab something that catches your eye when it comes to your first chapter pack.

It's not that you need multiple to "have fun". It's that you need multiple to be competitive. Down the road. Think about it, you know all those great cards in the core set, like Flame Kissed, Khal Drogo, Street of Sisters, etc etc etc.? Those only come as 1-of's. As a beginner, just print proxies. When you want to compete and your burn deck needs 3x Flame Kissed as real physical cards and you don't want to buy singles or another person's collection, you must buy more cores.

I'm new to this. I heard or read ... can't remember ... that if you have one core and the Greyjoy and Martell exp pack, Greyjoy and Martell will destroy the other core decks. There's better cards in the Greyjoy and Martell exp packs.

If I'm wrong let know. I don't want to buy two if I don't have to.

After I picked up the core set and realized the game was awesome, I ordered another core set and each deluxe expansion. Plan on slowly picking up Chapter Packs until I'm caught up. Then again, I plan on making competetive decks for every House.

If you've got a particular house that you want to be your sole focus, just grab that house's Deluxe Expansion and a few Chapter Packs that have some good cards for that house. If that particular house is one of the houses represented in the Core Set, I'd recommend grabbing another Core Set too. Not a must, just a strong recommendation.

After I picked up the core set and realized the game was awesome, I ordered another core set and each deluxe expansion. Plan on slowly picking up Chapter Packs until I'm caught up. Then again, I plan on making competetive decks for every House.

If you've got a particular house that you want to be your sole focus, just grab that house's Deluxe Expansion and a few Chapter Packs that have some good cards for that house. If that particular house is one of the houses represented in the Core Set, I'd recommend grabbing another Core Set too. Not a must, just a strong recommendation.

Thank you, yes, it's not a must . That's the important part. Also, let me re-iterate that whoever DOES say that multiple cores is a must... is crazy. Also, the moment you start buying chapter packs you'll find that you really only do need the one core. (if you want to play normally). After that, chapter packs will keeps things fresh and interesting! Once you have a few packs in your midst and start building right, there's little fear of being "destroyed" by Greyjoy/Martell, (in reply to the latter post).

Also, if you want to focus on a house in the core set... every house in the core has an expansion set at this point! You can build competitively with 1x Core and a 'Baratheon Expansion' if you wanted to make a Baratheon deck for example.

Edited by SirRule

Yeah. I've been slow about buying into AGoT, in the past 6 months I've grabbed:

3x Core Sets

Song of the Sea Cycle

A Time of Ravens Cycle

Kingsroad Cycle

4 of the 6 Deluxe Expansions (I haven't actually tried Targ or Baratheon yet)

I split the game between a friend (he goes Stark/Greyjoy) and we have had a blast making all sorts of different decks and trying out different strategies. It's a wonderful game through and through.

We got the third core set just because some of the Core Set characters are really good (I do love Core Set Bronn and Jaime!), not to mention third copy of milk of the poppy. For my friend, he's really grown to love Stark Wolf decks, spamming them onto the field as soon as possible and bringing out 3 copies of Kennel Master, so a third core set for us was a must.

There have been instances of our decks curb stomping the other, but for the most part AGoT is really well balanced.

Edited by Internutt

You're correct. It was cycle 3 (King's Landing cycle) that we started to see 3x each card. If you get the original print of the Clash of Arms or Time of Ravens cycles, then you're looking at 10 cards at 3x and 10 cards at 1x

That said, in order to get a full playset, you need the core set x3 and every other product x1 (unless you find some of the old 40 card CPs, which I doubt you will).

Whether or not you need a second or third Core Set early on or later depends on a number of factors, not the least of which is if you're only building decks for yourself or if you provide cards for a playgroup. If you do the latter, you'll need a second core early on. If you're the only one that uses your cards, you can probably start off with one core and buy CPs and house boxes first. Basically, you will figure out what you need when you build decks. If you feel you lack a certain card, buy the product it's in. Simple as that.