A few questions about comrades and advanced specializations

By mortagon, in Only War Rules Questions

How do one go on to target a comrade? For example if the comrade was the only visible target. By the rules you can't target a comrade as long as he is in cohesion, even if he's the only visible target or the most logical target. I like the comrade system, but I think the comrades are perhaps to difficult to hurt as the rules currently stand. Also what happens if someone chooses to attack a comrade out of cohesion? Does he automatically suffer a wound if hit or do I still need to roll doubles?

Also when gaining an advanced specialization I'm confused as to how many talents you are suppossed to get do you always get the first one listed and can then choose one of the others or do you either get the first two listed or the last one listed?

M

if by talents you mean the ones in the black boxes that only a certain class can take than you dont get any unless you buy them
normally comrads are hit by rolls of doubles on the to-hit test, if only the comrad is visible it makes that rule kind of useless
for a quick reference id use the guardsman NPC as a standin or just hurt the comrade as a lesson to the players not to abuse the abstract system, if a players get into cover so would his comrade normally

I think a little common sense always needs to be applied. If the comrade is the only visible target, I'd let him get shot with a regular attack roll but I'd also let him attempt a dodge.

As for starting talents for advanced specialties, the way I read the rules it's: (X and Y) or Z. The first two are a package, or you can get the third one alone.