Max objective decks

By Darth Zilla, in Star Wars: The Card Game - Strategy

Hey everyone -

I am new to LCG - been playing SW TCG since April of this year. Love it so far - have all the expanssion packs etc.. I'm noticing that most, if not all, players are using only 10 objective pods in their decks.

When I look online it says that their is no maximum but that you only have to be allowed to shuffle the deck without assistance.

My questions is why does everyone limit themselves to just 10 objectives. Like I said - I'm new to this whole thing and I get the concept that it gives you an increased probability of splashing a Luke or Vader but on the other hand if Luke or Vader gets killed and, for whatever reason, you burned the other set in an edge battle - now what are you left with?

Not to mention that it limits what you can play because you can only have one of those unique units in play at a time.

I could be missing a broader strategy but It just seems like if you have more objective pods you can have different startegies and gives you an opportunity to make more adjustments if a round isn't going as planned.

Obviously most of you have had success doing what you are doing so I'm just trying to see how you determin what units and objectives you will leave out and which ones you keep. It's just very hard to do that for me because there are so many awesome units.

I haven't played in any tournaments yet - just trying to really see different startegies and make sure I understand everything before I go into one.

its hard to explain exactly. 10 o-sets (50 card command deck) give you the best odds of drawing that awesome unit, were as having a higher objective deck or just running 1 of any certain o-set your odds start to decrease. Sure you can only have 1 unique unit on the field at a time, but if you have that second palpy, vader, luke, or han in hand that's when you start to play aggressively with those units, force your opponent to spend cards to deal with them. then when they do next turn they hit the field again. Not all o-sets are created equal. if you play more objectives to broaden you strategy means in most cases your adding some very poor cards to your deck. causing it to be cloggy and inconsistent. the best suggestion I can give is go to tournys and play people better than you. that about the best learning tool I know of.

hope this helps a little

that does help and that's a good point to having Luke or Vader and being more aggresive and then, if that character dies, just splashing him the next go around. I can see that for sure.

I guess my other thing was - I don't have duplicates and was just exploring other ideas to build an objective deck but it seems like, if you want to be competative in tournaments, you should have duplicates and keep the objective decks to 10.

Thank you Shaffer

smaller decks mean you get to your good cards faster, and have more consistent results.

If you want to be competitive, you do need duplicates and limit yourself to 10 objectives total. Barring a few crazy cases, you'll find that just about every tournament winning deck in any card game like this plays the minimum number of cards allowed.

It's really not about what's left in your deck after something happens. It's about what you have available to do well right now in any given moment. Good stuff in your deck doesn't help you on the turn you absolutely have to win the game to avoid losing, only the cards you have in hand help you.