Some weird background features

By Tom Cruise, in Game Mechanics

These are fairly minor, but I figured they were worth listing. There's a few weird things listed in the various backgrounds which seem really out of place.

Firstly, why do Administratum characters start with Quick Draw? It seems like a really nonsensical thing to give them, Adepts and the like aren't exactly known for their nimbleness, so starting them off on the Mobility tree is just... odd.

Similarly, Mechanicus characters have an odd entry in the form of starting with Athletics as a skill. I don't really understand this at all, surely Rememberance or Medicae would fit the spot better?

The Ministorum background also has some odd features. For some reason, they start with a utility servo skull. I can't imagine priests have a lot of use for what amounts to a hovering toolbox. If they're going to get a servo-skull, give them one with a laud hailer, makes much more sense. Also, Ministorum characters start with mesh armour, which just seems odd. Shouldn't it be robes?

This is a great topic, a good place to put all of those things- like the Adeptus Telepathica starting with the Appropriate to use their start up Las-pistol.

Oh, and as for replacing Quick Draw with something more applicable to the background, maybe have Administratum characters start with a second specialty of their choice? After all, any Administratum worker is likely to have learned about the workings of some other organisation in the course of their career. Knowledge is definitely their area.

We'll have another topic for the Administartum Background akin to the others so far. Probably about time for it too :P

Firstly, why do Administratum characters start with Quick Draw?

Why, that's for the autoquill, of course. :P

As for the Ministorum servoskull - that in itself doesn't seem odd (to me), but I do agree that it'd incorporate Church-specific features to hint on their function, such as an incense dispenser, a duster for sprinkling holy water, a vox-controlled printer that churns out paper slips full of religious scripture and/or letters of indulgence, ... or, well the laud hailer you mentioned.

It's something I would add as the GM, or a list I'd have the player pick from, I suppose.

I think Ministorum servo skulls are great, it makes perfect sense from a fluff standpoint. Just give them one that makes sense. They don't need a floating toolbox. I'd say give them either a laud hailer or an illumination skull. Burning brazier servo-skulls are basically par for course with anyone vaguely religious in The Imperium, after all.

I believe that giving them Quick Draw was to emulate the shooty Adept of Dark Heresy.

I think the shooty adept is something we should leave far, far behind us. That, or maybe have AdMech characters start on the Resilience tree so we can go back to tanky Techpriests while we're at it.

I believe that giving them Quick Draw was to emulate the shooty Adept of Dark Heresy.

Maybe it's in honor of the most illustrious and badass acolyte of all time, Grendel the Adept.

Maybe it's in honor of the most illustrious and badass acolyte of all time, Grendel the Adept.

Well, Grendel already got canonized as super-badass in the Radical's Handbook, and wouldn't melee/fate point abusing talents be more fitting for the knife wielding daemon butcher?

Yeah I was about to post Grendel was a Knife-guy not a gun-guy :P

Then again,quick Draw can use a Knife just as easily as a gun...

I actually feel that the backgrounds are not only strange, but very limited.

Particularly I like the idea that I have read on other topics of giving options to the player.

Shouldn't and Adept from a Medieval world be proficient with archaic weapons, instead of lasers?

I believe every origin should begin with a list of the main proficiencies (let's say, solid, las and primitive, with a few more for some origins, like Arbites and Guard) and be able to choose one or more of them, according to the origin.

And quick draw? Seriously? It looks like they rolled a D100 in a random table to choose some talents.

And many of the special abilities need change as well.

Take the arbites, for example. I very much like the idea from Saldre, in another post:

How about the skill from ascenscion but nerfed?

Hammer of the Emperor: +10 to intimidate towards a certain group - pick one: Mutants, Heretics or Rogue Psykers.