How to create an Inquisitor?

By Ichshadon, in Game Mechanics

Hello everyone,

I just got my Beta Rulebook and after skimming through it and focusing a bit on character creation I remain confused.

It is said that the GM can play the role of an Inquisitor, and that the Inquisitor can be created as any other character. It also states that the group can have a player as an Inquisitor...

But how does one create an Inquisitor with a starting character that only has 500 exp, while an Inquisitor needs 1000 Exp + 75 Influence? Not to mention that an Inquisitor maybe should have a little bit more Knowledge/Gear than your average just born acolythe....

Are there any additional information regarding the creation of an Inquisitor that I am just missing, or how exactly does it work (besides just giving the Inquisitor 2000+ Experience points) ?

Edited by Ichshadon

Well, the rules as provided are for creating relatively fresh Acolytes, so yeah, you'd need to give the Inquisitor a lot of XP and Influence yourself. What I tend to do is make a character that represents them at the start of their career, as a plain old acolyte, then add talents, skills etc as a natural progression.

Hmmm so it is as I feared.

What would you guess is a proper amount of xp for a "new" Inquisitor that can run alongside the group without beeing too overpowering, but not so weak as to make people question why he's become an Inquisitor? Like a Inquisitor run by a player?

I think that if you want to have a pc inquisitor you might want to start the group at a higher rank. Give them enough xp for the player to create an Inquisitor, make sure that everyone else has something of equal value to 75 Influence, and run the group from there. The Inquisitor elite advance seems to be there to handle the higher levels of the game when, after many missions, one of the group manage to become a full Inquisitor themselves.

E

What eldath said is right. You don't want to unbalance the party under the pretext that one of them is an Inquisitor; sure, in the fluff and the TT, the inquisitor is better than most of his cronies in his posse, but that rarely works out well in RPG's. Just give everyone enough xp and Influence/gear and non-combat benefits like contacts to make it plausible that one of them is an acolyte without overpowering the rest. The dynamic should be more akin to a RT group; one might be the de facto leader, but he's not mechanically any stronger.

Yeah, it's very worth emphasizing that an Inquisitor's power doesn't rest in his raw ability neecesarily, it's largely the resources he commands . Ascension tried to emphasise that, but failed rather spectacularly. Basically, the players being just as competent as each other doesn't devalue the Inquisitor in the slightest, as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, it's very worth emphasizing that an Inquisitor's power doesn't rest in his raw ability neecesarily, it's largely the resources he commands . Ascension tried to emphasise that, but failed rather spectacularly. Basically, the players being just as competent as each other doesn't devalue the Inquisitor in the slightest, as far as I'm concerned.

Well, Ascension did make the Inquisitors less directly powerful than the crazy Vindicare dodge monsters, the tank crushing Primaris Psykers with unlimited WP, or the Invincible God Machine Magos who decided that Secutor looked pretty nice before ascension. Where Ascension really failed is in creating an unbridgeable gap between characters; a Lore or Logic test that challenged a Sage is literally impossible for anyone else, the Vindicare can dodge 12 attacks per round, and the Magos can walk levitate through a warzone without even getting a dent in his armor, unleashing death with melta gun mechadentrites, while the Storm Trooper is barely better than he was 4 ranks ago, and the Crusader, Judge, Desperado and Hierophant only gained a pile of social skills for their troubles.

I think that making the Inquisitor an elite advance sorts this out somewhat, by making it something anyone can take, and without tying it to major, direct gameplay changes. As such, if a player wants to get additional, mostly non-combat options and access to more resources, he can become an Inquisitor, but he is scarifying xp to do that, xp he could have used to become better in other fields.

Yeah, I definitely like the elite advance setup for Inquisitors. It's a good way to include divergent, specific paths in general, really, I'm interested to see what they do with it in future splats.

Here is what you do, roll 2d10+30 on everything, start with +1000 exp, start with 75 influence by default, give him a subtlety value, combine with the groups of 50 and divide by 2 and you got the groups new subtlety