Reckless checks seem to have gotten worse

By Cabello, in Battlestar Galactica

So with the rules for Daybreak up it would seem that reckless check have been disincentived even more. Were reckless check really that good? Our group hardly ever uses them and cannot fathom why this change has been made.

At any cost wasn't that good but a guts and initiative+ investigation made for an almost assured perfect pass, support the people is good at the start of the game and jury rigged turns a 1-2 card into a four. Unless leaders or Ellen are in the game Treachery is uncommon enough and usual focused on a few people that taking advantage without soft revealing is tricky. so giving them more bit is a good thing.

At least that's how I see it. Mostly opinion I'd say. Plus if you can't use the peg treachery and they didn't want to add more reckless check skill cards then they would have no bite at all.

Yeah, at present we have no way of knowing whether they'll be better or worse than before-that'll depend on the distribution of values on the treachery cards and on how their effects compare to those in Pegasus.* All that's changed is the fact that the frequency of bad consequences is more or less constant, rather than depending on effects that give out treachery.

*for example, I understand that in some groups, the colonials would deliberately Broadcast Location to help maange the CFB

Edited by subochre

Played my first game with Daybreak and it needs more playtime, but if this game was any indication making checks reckless will become more common than before. With all of the current treachery cards triggering regardless of whether the check is reckless or not most of the disincentive is gone, that said the new treachery cards can be nastier than the previous bunch.

By the end of the game the cylons had brigged some of the humans multiple times by timing the playing of certain treachery cards and the destiny deck was almost entirely treachery cards from a combination of treachery card effects and failed skill checks. Treachery cards have gone from cards we mostly ignored to considered autodraws for cylon players and that is unlikely a good thing.

*and yes, no more broadcast location to help manage the CFB. :(

Edited by Redclock

With Daybreak, the Reckless checks have gotten worse. In the section about combining with Pegasus you a) do not include the Pegasus Treachery cards and b) if a Treachery card comes up in the Reckless check, reveal the top card of the Treachery Deck until you reveal one with a cost of 0. Then trigger the effect on that Treachery card AND the treachery card underneath it. Can get nasty real quick, especially with the new treachery card that makes you add two more Treachery to the Destiny Deck.

Not quiet. A card >0 means nothing bad happens. Also you always draw a card during a reckless check.

The new treachery cards can become almost self-perpetuating in Daybreak because so many of them cause you to draw yet more of them plus mutiny cards. You cannot easily dump all the cards into intentional skill check fails or discards at end of turns or on water shortages or movements among ships like you used to because so many cause you to get bad stuff. The only blessing is not having to worry about Sabotage. I feel our group used Reckless a lot less often out first few Daybreak games because of feeling it would either get even worse or else let the Cylons off from even having to play their treachery cards that round because it would auto trigger a consequence many times.

I will say that a surprising effect of the new treachery cards - one which does not make much thematic sense - is that now "known" but unrevealed cylons are far more vulnerable to being hurt by the humans using their own skill check medicine. If you can force them to draw that second mutiny card, they go to the brig.