Guilty! and Dominance

By Old Ben, in 2. AGoT Rules Discussion

FuriousG

I was reading the core set rules over again today, and the text under dominance brought up a potential issue.

Specifically, it said that strength for dominance is counted at the beginning of the phase, then went on to make passing reference to other actions taken within the dominance phase. Specifically, it states:

Power is awarded for dominance before any
player has an opportunity to take actions (such as
playing an event card that stands a knelt character
or steals gold from another player’s gold
pool)

Now, the text on Guilty! Reads:

House Stark only.
Dominance: Kneel 3 influence or kneel a Noble character to choose and kill a non- character

So, say I have Eddard and some winterfell reserves (total strength 7), and my opponent has Bronn and Chella out (total strength 6) standing at the start of the dominance phase. I would win dominance, as my strength is more than my opponents. But if i'm reading this correctly, after getting my dominance power, I can then kneel Eddard and kill one of my opponents characters?

If so, looks like my meta has been playing events in the dominance phase incorrectly.

Ktom

FuriousG wrote:
So, say I have Eddard and some winterfell reserves (total strength 7), and my opponent has Bronn and Chella out (total strength 6) standing at the start of the dominance phase. I would win dominance, as my strength is more than my opponents. But if i'm reading this correctly, after getting my dominance power, I can then kneel Eddard and kill one of my opponents characters?

If so, looks like my meta has been playing events in the dominance phase incorrectly.

Correct. Dominance STR is counted and power awarded before any player action can take place, even those (especially those) that would change the standing STR of either player. You would indeed count that 7-to-6 and get the power for Dominance before being allowed to play the Dominance phase event to kneel your characters and kill theirs. (There are a very few passive effects, like Envoy of Dragonstone and ITE-Boros Blount, activated by the beginning of the Dominance phase. These are the only things that could happen after the end of the challenge phase and before Dominance is counted/awarded.)

It has always been this way. If you have been counting and awarding Dominance after playing events like Guilty! or Westeros Bleeds, you have indeed been playing Dominance events incorrectly.