Origins Discussion- Forge world.

By Saldre, in Game Mechanics

Hello All!

So were discussing the Feral-worlder in the other topic, lets talk about his opposite. The Forge-worlder.

We've all got a pretty good idea of what a Forge-world is, so I won't dwell on those details. Though technical knock is a good fit for this origin, I have to admit that we face the same problem as the feral-worlder: this is something that everyone can buy later, so not a real advantage.

I propose the same system- two choices of "ability" and ability to reroll navigation or survival skill tests based on the different types of forge world you choose to originate from. [Greater Forge-World, Minor Forge-World, Orbital Station, Demesne [Domain World], research outpost or Explorator fleet.]

Two types of Tech-priest come up in mind [i know there are a lot more, but lets limit ourselves to two for now] - The Fabricator/Technomat/Drone (factory line worker) & The Secutor/Skitarii/Warrior

1- Born to Build: the gets +10 tests to modify weapons or repair items.

Or

2- Orthoproxy - +10 to resist mind control and Interrogation.

& Guidance of the Machine Spirit: Reroll navigation tests in one environment of your choice from the list above.

What do you guys think?

I like the first half of your suggestion, but the navigation for a forgeworld seems a bit uncharacteristic when everyone should theoreticly be able to navigate in their own home world environment.

Maybe give them the ability to resist fatigue, or ignore a wound result on a d10 roll of a 1 or 2 like the fate point one, due to mechanical parts and all.

The idea is that they would be able to navigate easier in a similar environment, not necessarily the exact ship where they came from. The reroll represents that they are likely to successfully make the test then say, a feral-worlder [who would get to reroll based on the type of planet he came from].

But you are right that navigation tests aboard the space station are less important, and generally a gameplay element than a navigation/survival test on a death-world or feral-world.

So how about another skill that Forge-worlder would be "slightly" better at, but is not "game-breaking" and has to be related to their specific, unique type of forge-world. Data-cant? Reroll tests when interacting with servitors and/or doors on one place on the list? I don't want to give them a blanket +10 to techuse, or a reroll on it, because thats just too good. no?

Data-cant is a good one. Maybe a small bonus to acquire items?

The adeptus mechanics background already gives that! So we shouldn't double dip- at least until such time where we decide that they might need another bonus.

Allow them to reduce/ignore/have more fatigue. That's what the Lathesmaster alternate class/origin had in DH1, and it's fitting both for the Helots and the Tech-Priests, who are used to ridiculous exertion. Either something like a Toughness test to reduce fatigue, or allow them to lose 1d5 fatigue per hour (or lose them every 15/30 minutes).

Keep in mind this should not be too powerful- Latheworld was a bit broken in terms of power-creep.

I like the Fatigue though, and with it playing a big part in the game, an ability pertaining to it would be cool. Again though, it can't be broken- regenerating fatigue at the rate suggested would quickly make this origin one of the best ones.

We could add "Energy Succor", so the Toughness test, but with specific conditions - Players attached to an appropriate power source can test toughness and regenerate fatigue = to the degrees of success Once per day. Instead of Data-Cant, for something more Unique.

How would these upgrades fair VS the Feral-Worlders?

How about: +10 tech use.

These guys are just better at using tech than anyone else.

I'd be fine with some sort of resistance to or bonus against faining Fatigue. Everyone else would need something appropriately better as well.

I miss their oenalty to knowing about the Imperial Creed.

+10 to Tech-use is incredibly bland, which what were trying to avoid in the first place by giving players a choice between two styles of play or two Unique abilities and then something that would be directly linked to their "starting homeworld table", so that even two Forge-worlders can be different if they come from an Orbital Station or a Major Forge-world.

Electrical Succour [regenerate fatigue by being plugged in] I find is pretty good, as it would be really useful on Forge-worlds and modern worlds, but not so on Feral-worlders, really having them Tech-priest shine in the more modern location. The other two abilities would allow differences between the cold and calculating Warrior Forge-worlder, who won't give anything up and the worker who has spent all of his life toiling in factoriums so has gained a knock at building and repairing things.

Why not give them a cyber implant of limited value?

It fits with about all the Warhammer art I've ever seen.

I do like the datacant very much as well.

You could also give them a talent related to cybernetics, potentially. +1 daily use of a bionic limb's special ability?

On a related note; the +20 to acquire cybernetics. Do you guys think this should apply for getting starting gear? It'd open the flood gates to best quality replacements, as well as Auger Arrays, Ferric Lure Implants, Interfact Ports, Luminen Capacitors, and Mechadendrites.

Effectively all you COULDN'T get would be Autosanguine and Maglev coils. Unless you opted to get them at poor quality, I suppose.

Augmented Admech characters make a lot of sense but this could be broken.

Edited by Tom Cruise

+5 Tech use for a specific type of tech (weapons, ground vehicles, power systems, etc.)

Or...

McGuyver

With a Tech use, the Tech Priest can build useful, but temporary technological items out of junk lying about.

Need an auspex scanner? Give the tech priest and hour in the junk yard and he builds something that does the job (lasts 1d6hours).

Stranded on a feral world and need a vehicle? Give the Tehc Priest a couple of hours and he builds a 'sail cart' out of local vegetation. Its rickety, but it'll go a hundred miles before the axles break.

Hull breached on your lifeboat? The Tech Priest knocks together a breacher plate and Void suit that will last long enough to let him get into the breached compartment and weld the plate on.

Issue with that is it sounds a lot like fabircating technology that doesn't conform to AdMech blueprints, which is practically heresy as far as most Tech Priests are concerned.

Issue with that is it sounds a lot like fabircating technology that doesn't conform to AdMech blueprints, which is practically heresy as far as most Tech Priests are concerned.

No its not, the AdMech are constantly designing and creating new technology, especially the adherants of the Cult Mechanicus who follow the Quest for Knowledge (the endless search for new technology and information).

And the 16 Universal Laws are entirely focussed on developing and advancing technology, information and understanding in order to restore Humanity to its 'Golden Age of Technology'.

The Mysteries

01. Life is directed motion.

02. The spirit is the spark of life.

03. Sentience is the ability to learn the value of knowledge.

04. Intellect is the understanding of knowledge.

05. Sentience is the basest form of Intellect.

06. Understanding is the True Path to Comprehension.

07. Comprehension is the key to all things.

08. The Omnissiah knows all, comprehends all.

The Warnings

09. The alien mechanism is a perversion of the True Path.

10. The soul is the conscience of sentience.

11. A soul can be bestowed only by the Omnissiah.

12. The Soulless sentience is the enemy of all.

13. The knowledge of the ancients stands beyond question.

14. The machine spirit guards the knowledge of the ancients.

15. Flesh is fallible, but ritual honours the machine spirit.

16. To break with ritual is to break with faith.

The Tech Priest will therefore readily create and use new technology - its his purpose.

His technological red lines, could perhaps be clarified as:

Have no dealings with alien technology or knowledge

Create no sentient machines

Honour and do not corrupt the ancient machines (especially those relics of the old times or new tech created from an STC)

A tech priest can and should be:

Maintaining technology (the older it is the more it should be maintained)

Creating new technology (within the proscibes limits of the Warnings).

So, a 'MacGuyver', or 'Jury Rig' all-encompassing tech skill seems entirely appropriate to me.

Edited by Luddite