Random Encounter Chart

By Emirikol, in WFRP House Rules

I made a general random "type" encounter chart. It is the basic prototype of what I'll hopefully get around to doing for larger things. Mainly, I use these to give me encounter and scenario ideas. Sometimes I use them as dice rolled, and sometimes just for suggestions.

Ideas that can motivate me on charts like this is that if I roll daemon, and then roll "Lord of Change", obviously I'm not going to throw that at a group or drop it directly into the town square, but it does give me an idea of perhaps the following things:

• Who is behind it all
  • A general theme of an encounter, perhaps in the above case, Arcane, power, Tzeentch, vulture, wings, etc
  • The general difficulty of an encounter (if a random roll), etc.

Here's a link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/167876/WFRP%20STUFF/Random%20WFRP3%20Adventure%20Generator/Random%20WFRP3%20Adventure%20Output%201.6.xlsx

RandomEncounters2.jpg

Edited by Emirikol

Awesome, methinks. I really love this kind of randomising mechanisms, and I not only use them quite a lot but have also developed a few myself. I plan on posting them on this forum sometime, please let me know if you'd be interested.

The chart itself looks promising, and more so because of who's behind it. I gleefully anticipate the final product.

One slightly critical question, though: why are you basing the chart on d10? I can see that those dice may be viewed with affection by those who play(ed) 2nd ed., but those days are mostly gone (or are they?), and I imagine that not a whole lot of people have d10 at hand. I would instead propose that you use a 2d6 mechanic and a two-axis chart, as d6 are much more common and this would allow for more (and more varied) chart entries.

To get a non-averaged outcome, I just picked a single die, otherwise you get more results to the central portion of the chart and I don't want to mess with that much just yet. I'd probably look at a percentile chart overall. It doesn't have to be accurate, it just needs to inspire.

Yes, if you've got anything like that, please feel free to post it (here and/or Rpggeek.com).

Again, mostly I'm just putting them together (with that d30 chart I did for random skill check inspiration), just to break occasional log-jams in my thinking processes.

jh

To get a non-averaged outcome, I just picked a single die, otherwise you get more results to the central portion of the chart and I don't want to mess with that much just yet.

No, I think you misunderstood. You make a 7x7 table, and label the topmost and leftmost row/collumn with the numbers 1-6, so you get a kind of coordinate system. Then, you fill the remaining 36 cells with whatever you think is relevant. Then, you roll 2d6 and let the result on each die decide the coordinates you use.

I have tried to copypaste an example from a plot randomiser I'm currently working on. Let's just hope it works (last time I tried to do that with a table it failed, and I had to printscreen it and upload it as an image).

Rivalry of Kinsmen

Deliverance

Loss of Loved Ones.

Recovery of a Lost One

Remorse

Erroneous Judgement

Mistaken Jealousy

Conflict with a God

Ambition

An Enemy Loved

Obstacles to Love

Discovery of the Dishonour of a Loved One

Rivalry of Superior and Inferior

All Sacrificed for Passion

Self-Sacrifice for Kindred

Self-Sacrificing for an Ideal

Adultery

Slaying of a Kinsman Unrecognised

Daring Enterprise

Enmity of Kinsmen

Crimes of Love

Murderous Adultery

The Enigma (temptation or a riddle)

Necessity of Sacrificing Loved Ones

Pursuit

Disaster

Revolt

Abduction

Obtaining

Madness

Supplication (in which the Supplicant must beg something from Power in authority)

Involuntary Crimes of Love (example: discovery that one has married one’s mother, sister, etc.)

Vengeance taken for kindred upon kindred

Falling Prey to Cruelty of Misfortune

Fatal Imprudence

Crime Pursued by Vengeance

[Edit:] Bloody hell, it didn't work. I left it in, just so you may know what happens when this fails.

Edited by Ambivalent Badger

Neat list, reminds me a bit of Poli's 36 dramatic situations lists, is that your inspiration?

Naw, my inspiration was just when I was looking at the Pathfinder charts..which don't include any human opponents (heaven forbid there be something other than a monster in a Pathfinder game!).

Neat list, reminds me a bit of Poli's 36 dramatic situations lists, is that your inspiration?

If you are reffering to my post, and mean Polti, then yes - or rather, it's an exact copy of his list. I am currently working on a series of tables that can be used to twist and diversify plots to make them more interesting and original, and I ended up steling that very list because it featured exactly 36 situations, which is the number of entries you have in a 6x6 table. I am quite close to finishing it now, and will post it soon, together with a similar thing for characters.

I just found another nice list of scenario tasks in Best of the Dragon #5.

The link doesn't work, can it be downloaded elsewhere?

I didn't do much work on this before finishing up the random adventure generator: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/167876/WFRP%20STUFF/Random%20WFRP3%20Adventure%20Generator/Random%20WFRP3%20Adventure%20Output%201.6.xlsx

WFRP3 - Random Bestiary Encounter Table (by Emirikol)
 Roll dice to determine general idea.
 Roll a d10 or appropriate die and look at that category of monster to give you a general suggestion of which creature to give you an idea. Number doesn’t have to be exact, it’s just to get you an idea.
 E.g. Undead, then rolled again and got “spirit”
 I’ll expand this as I get time to include City, Forest, River, etc. Until then, this is just to get you started.
General Scenario Concept
1. Beastmen
2. Beasts
3. Chaos
4. Cultists
5. Daemons
6. Dwarf/High Elf/Wood Elf/Halfling/Ogre/Dark Elves (group or individual)
7. Forest Spirits
8. Giants & Trolls
9. Greenskins
10. NPC (basic, human)
11. NPC (basic, human)
12. NPC (basic, human)
13. NPC (basic, non-human)
14. NPC (expert, human)
15. NPC (expert, human or non-human)
16. NPC (expert, Epic)
17. Skaven
18. Swarms