Timeline.

By Stormcrow77, in Dark Heresy Second Edition Beta

What year is this set in?

The lore sections have not been disclosed to the public yet- so I don't think anyone has any idea.

But its supposed to be Modern. So think end of the world. Golden throne is failing, Newcrons are slowly wokinup and Cadia has been invaded partially, probably.

I'd rather have seen a "modern" Calixis Sector myself, but we all know advancing lore - even if it was initially set in the past - would have GW stringing up the FFG team outside of Nottingham.

I'd rather have seen a "modern" Calixis Sector myself, but we all know advancing lore - even if it was initially set in the past - would have GW stringing up the FFG team outside of Nottingham.

Yeah, that would have been good to see. That said I'm excited about the possibilities of the new sector, and hopefully FFG will be throwing a few references to stuff from the Calixis Sector for the fans of the first edition.

You'll find tons of references to Calixis in the other lines.

Only War happens for all intents and purposes in the Calixis sector, in the Peripherie. Sinophia, Gangf Magna, Cyclopea (OooOo Amicus Tole :P ) and Sleef are all there, Kulth too.

Rogue Trader's newish Navis Primer had tons of reference to Calixis, from Calixis Corsaire to "Witness of Dusk", a special sect of Astropaths. The Defenders of the 4th Cipher started on Scintilla, hive Tarsus and there's Drusus Adherents and Drusus Charlatans in that book as well.

Reference to the Calixis sector a plenty :P Which is why I was surprised they chose to go in a new direction instead of upgrading it. Not like there wasn't any material left to work with. Tons of places left to work with.

I find it interesting that the time line has been advanced to modern times, as Calixis was i believe a few hundred years behind current times.

If i remember correctly this was because GW didnt want FFG writing anything that could become courant cannon.

So has that changed? Or maybe just maybe GW is about to advance the timeline themselves...

You'll find tons of references to Calixis in the other lines.

Only War happens for all intents and purposes in the Calixis sector, in the Peripherie. Sinophia, Gangf Magna, Cyclopea (OooOo Amicus Tole :P ) and Sleef are all there, Kulth too.

Rogue Trader's newish Navis Primer had tons of reference to Calixis, from Calixis Corsaire to "Witness of Dusk", a special sect of Astropaths. The Defenders of the 4th Cipher started on Scintilla, hive Tarsus and there's Drusus Adherents and Drusus Charlatans in that book as well.

Reference to the Calixis sector a plenty :P Which is why I was surprised they chose to go in a new direction instead of upgrading it. Not like there wasn't any material left to work with. Tons of places left to work with.

Yeah, I always enjoyed that. Had adventures in Rogue Trader going across to the Calixis Sector and Calixis Inquisitors turning up in Deathwatch.

That's what I'd hope for the new sector, that it was close enough to allow for this type of fluff cross over.

Coming back the OP, while I believe they said it'll be more modern, I wonder if it'll actually be 999.M41 or whether it'll be back 10 or 20 years to allow for time advancements in adventures or later fluff.

The thing I dislike about Askellon is that from what we know if it thus far, it just strikes me as a re-named Calixis.

"all watch in fear as the Pandaemonium’s rising ferocity heralds the sector’s fall. It will take the mightiest deeds of the Acolytes to forestall this terrible doom, if only for one day."

Apocalyptic events are par for the course in 40k, but all I could think reading that was "Tyrant's Star, Tyrant's Star, Tyrant's Star". The blurb even reads similar to the one from DH1.

Most sectors are exactly the same honestly- probably the only reason they couldn't use Calixis was because there's a civil war there apparently because of the Chaos Commandments.

I personally haven't played it and likely won't play it. So my Calixis is just fine, festering with just as many crazy things and conspiracies as before.

Another reason they might be swapping it out is because of the # of Inquisitors. Calixis has over 200. Technically. Apparently, by true lore, there aren't that many Inquisitors in the UNIVERSE let alone one sector.

Most sectors are exactly the same honestly- probably the only reason they couldn't use Calixis was because there's a civil war there apparently because of the Chaos Commandments.

I personally haven't played it and likely won't play it. So my Calixis is just fine, festering with just as many crazy things and conspiracies as before.

Another reason they might be swapping it out is because of the # of Inquisitors. Calixis has over 200. Technically. Apparently, by true lore, there aren't that many Inquisitors in the UNIVERSE let alone one sector.

Excuse me, but what "true lore" are you refering to? I think that in the Galaxy and Imperium of Milions inhabited worlds and thousands upon thousands of Sectors, there could be much more Inquisitors at any time :)

I hope we will stay at the begining of 9th century M41, would be nice to tie Askellon somehow to the current 40k RPG settings. Pandemonium could be connected to screaming vortex, or Askellon is on the other side of Ixianad, or warpstorms separating Jericho Reach from the greater Imperium.

Edited by TorogTarkdacil812

I find it interesting that the time line has been advanced to modern times, as Calixis was i believe a few hundred years behind current times.

If i remember correctly this was because GW didnt want FFG writing anything that could become courant cannon.

There is no "canon", and FFG has already contradicted GW sources. There's still the possibility that Black Industries (who actually set the timeline back then) was originally told to keep it in the past, but considering how all the Black Library novels have no problem taking place in "modern" times, with some even going into M42(!), this would feel like a very arbitrary decision. Not impossible, mind you, just arbitrary.

Perhaps the people at FFG have simply decided upon a new sector to preserve every group's own Calixis for themselves, rather than possibly contradicting it with material that potentially invalidates the individual results of earlier campaigns? Just a thought. :)

I may be alone in this, but I hope the new Sector is not near Calixis- I hope it's in Ultima Segmentum so we can logically include Tyranids and Tau as Adversaries. I think placing the initial WH40KRP setting as far as possible from the Hive Fleets was a mistake, and was probably one of the reasons the Ordo Xenos received so little official support compared to Hereticus and Malleus.

Of course, I suppose the could put it opposite the Well of Night from the Jericho Reach, so it could be linked to the existing settings by the Jericho/Maw Warp Gate- but, give the difference in timeline, that could cause other problems...

Well- what if, when ships go trough that particular warp storm, they go back in time to Calixis time :P

I'll miss the Calixis Sector, and am sad that we never got a book focused on detailing its worlds.

We know very little so far, but the "ancient lands on the edge if doooooooom" theme we seem ti be seeing sounds very familiar. The Eldar were afraid of Calixis for ancient spooky reasons, the Tyrant Star was an apocalyptic omen...